Repairing rubber rand on Kenetreks

Hey all. I have had a pair of Kenetrek Hardscrabble Lites for a few years now. The rubber rand has started to peel away from the leather in several spots, allowing the boots to take on some moisture during wet trips. I plan on using some 3M marine adhesive to rebond the rubber to the leather. Do I need to debur and sand down the leather where it will be bonded so that it is smoothe prior to applying the adhesive and gluing the rand? Anything else I should do in order to make the bond permanent?

Kenetrek sells the repair stuff in a tube. I think it's called "sole repair". It is permanent, and dries clear. Works well, and Kenetrek sells and recommends it.

I just finished using the 3M stuff and all I did was clean really good and dry. I took a tooth pic and made sure I got the clue in every nook and cranny and then really took my time taping the rand down to dry.

Fair warning the 3M glue has a 7 day cure time.

NHRedleg

Lil-Rokslider
I have successfully repaired the rind on my Kayland Hunter boot and my Military issue Hot Weather Mountain Combat boots with plane old superglue.

Benjblt

WKR
I have kenetrek boots that had the same issue. Sent them to kentrek and they fixed them for free

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I just send mine to Kenetrek every other year. It only costs me shipping. Love my Kenetreks. The rubber rand separating is my only issue and that still might be my fault in getting to close to the wood stove.

OP
O
So do you guys think the freesole is a better choice than the 3M marine stuff? I have heard the Marine adhesive is absolutely permanent, but have zero experience with it.

hntnnut

Lil-Rokslider
Ok since this has been brought up, I just bought a pair of mountain extreems. The boots fit awesome, but after a week of wear around town and the house the rand is starting to peal back on one boot, haven't even had them "off road" yet. should I be concerned because their so new? what would you do repair them yourself or send them in?

Richard

Ok since this has been brought up, I just bought a pair of mountain extreems. The boots fit awesome, but after a week of wear around town and the house the rand is starting to peal back on one boot, haven't even had them "off road" yet. should I be concerned because their so new? what would you do repair them yourself or send them in?

Richard

Send them in.

Logan T

WKR
Free Sole is the way to go. Back when I bought my first pair of Kennetreks from their shop in Bozeman about 10 years ago, the guys in the shop recommended to run a line of free sole around the rand before really even using them. It doesn't take much, and once it's on the boots that rand will stay on for lots of years and abuse to come.

venado_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Id call Kenetrek first. Ive never had to send mine back but they were extremely helpful in ordering answering any questions I had. Even told me to let them know if I ever have any problems.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

So do you guys think the freesole is a better choice than the 3M marine stuff? I have heard the Marine adhesive is absolutely permanent, but have zero experience with it.

I would use only what Kenetrek recommends (and sells). If you try to repair it yourself, then decide to send them to Kenetrek for repairs, they will possibly cover the repairs under warranty, but if you use something else, they probably won't cover it.