Replace Easton T64's or not?

Time to buy more arrows. I got back into archery last year and have lost/damaged enough of my original T64's that I need to buy more or replace them with something else.

I'm certainly not an expert but the T64's are working great, no complaints and I wouldn't mind simply buying more. Just curious if I would benefit from starting over with a different arrow or just stick with what's working?

Zac

WKR
Just curious, how do you end up cutting that tapered shaft? I think the benefits of any FJM is that you don't have to nock tune them. Yet as you know durability is a huge issue. So I don't have any real recommendations for you, other than to switch to carbon if your getting tired of dings in the aluminum.

OP
W
I had them cut at a local shop, I don't know jack about building arrows. I can't really complain about durability with the T64's, I think the ones that I've damaged would have also damaged a carbon arrow. Accidentally hitting rocks ect. trying to extend my range during practice.

Zac

WKR
I don't know exactly when the shaft starts to taper, but I probably wouldn't want to chance it if I was running a limb driven rest. Also I would worry about concentricity issues unless your shop really has their shit together. Definitely not easy to cut those at a perfect angle, and how are you supposed to spin them anyways? I'd put that extra hundred dollars into a good component system of a 5mm of your choice. Either that or just go with the 5mm FMJ's with a hidden insert. You could run an Axis, or a Black Eagle Rampage. The majority of people on this site probably shoot one or the other.

The price of those arrows I'd be buying something else. They were really designed as a target arrow, at least that's what I thought.

Like Zac said if you want an Aluminum over carbon shaft, you can get a 5mm fmj for about half the price.

Not that I'm trying to tell you how to spend your money, do what you want. I don't like fmj arrows so I'd go full carbon myself.

IMO tapered arrows are an expensive solution in search of a problem. Looks like T64's are roughly double the cost of non-tapered FMJ's. I drank the Kool-Aid a few years ago and bought GrizzlyStik tapered shafts. They're tough and have tuned well for me and I'll keep shooting them until I lose/break enough of them to warrant a switch, but they're not doing anything for me that a non-tapered arrow couldn't do. The slight increase in FOC (which is an overemphasized parameter to begin with and can be manipulated in other ways) and slight increase in penetration (in theory) aren't worth the extra money.

OP
W
I'm not married to the idea of tapered shafts and FMJ's, recommend me a quality carbon made in the USA.

CB4

WKR
I'm not married to the idea of tapered shafts and FMJ's, recommend me a quality carbon made in the USA.
Only Easton has a USA factory in SLC where they make some of their arrows and some Beaman arrows. They also import some shafts. Every other arrow on the market is imported. From my understanding/research.

Reactions: Zac
Easton axis match grade, iron will 50 grain stainless insert and 25 grain stainless footer from iron will, 260 spine, 4 fletch q2i xii, 5" wrap, 100 grain exodus, 28.75", 545 grains, foc is plenty good for good tuning and arrow flight.

Zac

WKR
You got me excited. I'd like to buy american shafts, unfortunately I haven't been a big fan of Easton arrows other than the acc and all aluminum arrows.
I heard Victory uses the same shop that Goldtip uses. I really want to give the Airstrike a go at some point.

I heard Victory uses the same shop that Goldtip uses. I really want to give the Airstrike a go at some point.

Black eagle is using same manufacturing facility as GT, I'm 99% certain.

Just arrows built to a different spec.

I think it's like automotive batteries. There's actually only like 3 places batteries are made, they just get built to label specs. And the warranty is the same damn battery, just pay as a percentage of the chance of it failing in the warranty period.

Zac

WKR
Black eagle is using same manufacturing facility as GT, I'm 99% certain.

Just arrows built to a different spec.

I think it's like automotive batteries. There's actually only like 3 places batteries are made, they just get built to label specs. And the warranty is the same damn battery, just pay as a percentage of the chance of it failing in the warranty period.
Interesting, I always thought BE was so far ahead of the curve on consistency vs other companies.

OR Archer

WKR
I’d switch them out. Simple fact is that the T64s haven’t taken off like Easton would like. The price point puts them out of reach for the average customer. Good probability that they’ll be discontinued within the next couple of years due to those issues. They’re a great shaft but the benefits don’t outweigh the high price tag compared to other great performing Easton shafts.

Interesting, I always thought BE was so far ahead of the curve on consistency vs other companies.

I spoke to the owner probably a few years ago now, but he told me the .001 shafts they spine sorted to be within .011/dozen. That's what I recall anyways I don't think it was +,- but all within .011. For the little bit I have run them on a spine tester I believe it. They might spec their own resin. Or any number of any other things. I'm not familiar with carbon construction so I won't pretend to know what might be different. I find the BE arrows I have shot to be good arrows, but not head and shoulders above anything else. I mainly bounce around between gold tip and black eagle depending on what I'm looking for exactly. Tho still shoot some Easton aluminum and ACC sometimes as well.

Reactions: Zac