Replace fluorescent shop lights with LED. School me...

So...I have a little time on my hands and ye ole shoppe lights are in need of an upgrade. Currently have 3 rows with two 8-foot fluorescent fixtures in each row and 6 feet in between the fixtures.

I have at least 2 fixtures that the ballast seems to be going out. They were dime store hand me downs and I got 10 years from them so no hard feelings.

I am not looking to spend a mint but my thoughts were to replace each 8 footer with 2x 4 foot LED fixtures. I was also thinking about mounting the lights - 2 each to a 2x4 that so could hang with the current chains. I would end up with 12 fixtures in roughly the same configuration. someone recommended these honeywell fixtures to me from home depot. About $30 each so I could do the whole project for under $400:

Any thoughts or advice before I dive in here?

Just got done doing this, 2 different ways. Replaced my 8-foot tubes in my shop light fixtures with these bulbs:

LUMINOSUM, T8 8 Feet LED Tube... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WWGFQYY?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This worked great, note that you will have to re-wire the fixture to bypass the ballast. Easy if you have the knowledge.

Scrapped my garage fixtures and replaced one 4-foot fixture with 2 of these:

Sunco Lighting 4 Pack Flat LED... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D2L8HHX?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

This was even easier as the new fixtures are plug-and-play, I just wired an outlet to the old light fixture junction box and plugged them in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheCougar

WKR
I replaced my garage lights with LED. They have programs that will calculate the type and number of fixtures for your garage. Basically it will ask what activities you do in the garage to determine the proper lumens/sq ft, then it will make recommendations based off that number. The number will surprise you - I ended up with 16 48" LED T8 lamps at 2,600 lumens each, spaced out in 8 dual-tube light fixtures for my 20x30 garage. I thought it was total overkill, but it wasn't and I'm glad I didn't skimp. I installed the lights in two runs using gray electrical conduit attached externally to the ceiling. Way easier than running and fishing wires in a ceiling with no attic access. I ordered everything from Prolighting.com and I was happy with it. Also. really plan out where you put the lights. I staggered the lights and placed them in spots to ensure even coverage and ensure no shadows in critical areas like my workbench and tablesaw.

Thoff1989

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are alot of options out there, I recently removed some old florescent fixtures and replaced them with these, https://www.ruralking.com/maxlite-4300-lumen-led-shop-light-990083 since they were at a local store. The fixtures were plastic but I haven't had an issue with them.

I do plan on installing the 8ft led fixtures in my garage, Amazon has a couple of options and they are relatively cheap.

I retrofitted my fluorescent fixtures by bypassing the ballasts. Then installed T12 LED tubes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
I did this as well. It worked awesome and they are bright. I also installed some new 4 ft led fixtures in another area. The refitted 8 ft led is brighter than the new 4 ft led. Hope that helps some.

I work in that industry and I would bypass the ballast and pick up 8ft led direct drive bulbs. Satco has options for around 35 bucks a bulb. Much easier than replacing the whole fixture and for much cheaper.

Tons of info over on Garage Journal forums in the electrical section.

This sticky thread in particular is full of recommendations, including best places to buy from.

I used a lot of this info to light up my garage with LEDs. Not a shadow left...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waitforit

Lil-Rokslider
I will echo the recommendation to bypass the ballasts and use LED replacement bulbs. Easier and cheaper than changing out fixtures, just takes a little extra work on your end with wiring.

Kenn

Lil-Rokslider
My understanding is that if you use the led lights that don’t require bypassing the ballast they use considerably more power since the ballasts use power. Because of that I did the bypass, which was easy, and used standard led’s.

targetpanic

Lil-Rokslider
I think there are alot of options out there, I recently removed some old florescent fixtures and replaced them with these, https://www.ruralking.com/maxlite-4300-lumen-led-shop-light-990083 since they were at a local store. The fixtures were plastic but I haven't had an issue with them.

I do plan on installing the 8ft led fixtures in my garage, Amazon has a couple of options and they are relatively cheap.

I replaced a dozen 4ft fluorescent fixtures with a dozen of these same fixtures that I got at a ridiculously cheap price. Just put outlets in at the junction boxes...simple to do and made a HUGE improvement.

I’ve got some of the kind that just hang on a chain and plug in as well as some where you bypass the ballast and both work really well. It’s nice that in the winter they start up even when the garage is cold.

I still have a couple 8’ fluorescents and I had to pay a small fortune for the last 8’ bulbs I picked up so I’m waiting until they die to replace those and complete the conversion to LED.

Titan

WKR
Yeah, you always want to direct wire and ditch the ballast.

I searched and priced a new set up in my separate building. The best deal actually ended up being the 4ft LED fixtures from Costco. $20 each for a 2 4ft LED fixture. They are linkable up to 3 or 4 in a row. Great output and color.

dukxdog

Lil-Rokslider
I've changed out lots of florescent in my rental shops and also installed new LED in my home shop. I used Commercial Electric 18,000 lumen lights from Home Depot. They are bright and easy to install. About $100 each. Love them!

OP
Desk Jockey
So after a bit more research I bought a few of the Sunco LED fixtures and put a string of them in the far side of the garage. Very easy to install. Not a hefty, confidence inspiring build but at just over $21 a fixture delivered, the price is better than anything I could find with that light output. I am going to give them a bit of time to see how I like them but I may go ahead and order up some more to replace the existing fluorescents.

Sharpsman

FNG
I replaced the fixtures in my trap shed that had quit working with led and the difference is night and day(pun intended) but seriously I couldn’t believe how much better they were than the old fixtures