Replace my Leupold VX2 3-9x40?

Netherman

WKR
I'm buying a 450BM to appease the MI DNR and am in the scope market. I'm trying to decide if I just buy a Leupold VX Freedom 3-9x40 (Ultimate Slam/Tri-MOA) for the 450 or upgrade my 30-06 and move the Leupold VX2 3x9-40 Duplex LR it currently wears to the 450.

If I upgrade what would be a better option? I'm curious about dialing but also want to stay on the lighter side of things. Though not popular in the long range community I like SFP, BDC, and MOA and find them quick and efficient in hunting situations. So far, I've been looking at the Leupold VX-5 3-15x44 (HTMR), Zeiss V4 4-16x44 (MOAi), NF SHV 3-10x42 (MOAR), and the Swarovski Z3 3-10x42 (BRH). Those are all in the 1k range, so would be a $600ish increase over going with the VX freedom for the 450 and keeping the 06 as is.

I don't think I'd hate more zoom than the 3-9, but I have never really felt under zoomed while hunting as I don't shoot beyond 400 nor do I plan to unless I'm shooting at paper. I like the Duplex LR setup and find it quick and intuitive (basically my 3 pin bow sight x10).

Honestly, the only things I'd be looking to improve would be reliable dialing (for range use) and better glass clarity and light gathering. Maybe a illuminated reticle, but I don't know that I want the weight trade off. As a tinkerer/gear junkie I'm always looking for a better mouse trap or ways to optimize the one I have, but truthfully I have never felt let down by the VX2. After typing this I'm now leaning towards keeping the 06 as is.

The Leupold sounds like your lightest option as they simply tend to be on the lighter side of things. Another scope to consider is the Leupold VX-3HD. It would give you a lightweight package with the ability to dial for elevation and still return to zero easily.
I had a Zeiss Conquest HD5 5-25 for a while and currently have a Zeiss Conquest HD5 3-15. The Zeiss offerings have always seemed a little brighter and a little sharper than the my Leupolds (VX1,VX3,FX), but I can’t see it making a measurable difference in actual field use. The Zeiss scopes seem a bit heavier and larger when compared to similar Leupold offerings.
Going by your list of prospective scopes, it really looks like any of them will serve you well, especially within the useable range of .450 BM.

Wapiti1

WKR
Trijicon 3-9X42 Accupoint with green MIL DOT reticle. Lightweight, clear, tough, and has a very usable reticle. Not a dialer, though. I like the green, but amber and red work well too.

That would be my choice for the new rifle.

Jeremy

You're really going to have to decide if you want to dial or not. Its hard to give advice if you throw in alot of well maybe.
Reliable dialing scope are heavier and more costly then a set and forget.

Any leupold is a Reliable set and forget scope. And the vx 2 has been a workhorse longer then we have been alive.

But the Maven has some solid selection as well.

If you want to dial get a V4 from Redhawk rifles.
Tons of us have bought open box demos for around $800 and I have never read of one having a single mark on it.

Lots and lots of mixed reviews on dialing Leupolds. I believe for the most part they are ok. But I am not willing to risk a hunt on what I have read. Its just to much work and I do not have the patience for that sorta thing.

Hope this helps. But we can't help you decide how you want to shoot and hunt. We will be able to give more curated advice if you can narrow it down.

But in general I always leave at least 1 gun in ready to hunt. I never tear down everything at once to swap around. But im paranoid.

Redhawk rifles does have great deals on Zeiss scopes. That’s where I snagged my last Conquest HD5.

OP
N

Netherman

WKR
Points well taken on the wishy washyness and not downing a rifle at this time of year. I'll be getting the VX freedom for the 450 and keeping the 30-06 as is.

I'm still interested in dialing and am now thinking that I'll look for something to replace the scope on my 300 RUM down the road. I don't like the current 4-12 I've currently got on it as it doesn't have a BDC reticle or reliable dialing. I am happy with my 30-06 as a do it all gun and think I'll be better served leaving it as is.