Replaceable Blade Knife Comparison, By Dioni Amuchastegui

TheGDog

WKR
Got the "Bone Collector" Dual Blade folder from Havalon now. I *LOVE* the blade on their Folder and have been supremely impressed with it! And of course it's got the scalpel blade too. So now one less thing in my pack. It's really smart the way they engineer the liner lock on the scalpel side as well. It's got a small little nub to the liner-lock surface, so that it doesn't just whip to closed right away with a single push of the liner-lock downward. And you need that little stop it has just to make sure your fingers are out of the way before you close it. And when the scalpel is fully extended, it has a second slide-out locking mechanism as well to doubly insure that wicked scalpel blade that we all know and love is for sure locked in the open position.

Outdoor Edge stays sharper longer. It's just a little bit more tricky to work it around the anus of the animal though, when you begin skinning the hide. Especially if it's a smaller creature like a Bobcat or a Coyote. But the Outdoor Edge I thought performed a little better at the deboning of the muscles from the game.

I thought that interesting gut hook design would work way easier. For whatever reason, that was very much not the case for me. At any rate though, that combo knife they make is WAY too heavy. I say if you're going to go the Outdoor Edge route, then buy their plastic framed one. That one is WAY WAY lighter!

Changing the blades is way easier on outdoor edge. It's not hard on Havalon, not at all. But... you do have to pay very close attention to what you're doing or the hazard factor can shoot way up.

Last edited:

Skee7533

FNG
I've only owned the Outdoor Edge but I can't think of a reason to switch to one of the other ones. In the couple years I've used it, I've had no issues at all (mostly on whitetails). My son has uses his pretty much as an EDC and I've been suprised by how long the blades last.

PA Hunter

WKR
Outdoor Edge for me, I don’t really care if one is a little sharper that’s why I stock up on blades. Depends what your using them on too? For me it’s moose ? Elk which outdoor edge is great on & they have a new larger one out fixed blade replaceable blade. Awesome

TheGDog

WKR
I've only owned the Outdoor Edge but I can't think of a reason to switch to one of the other ones. In the couple years I've used it, I've had no issues at all (mostly on whitetails). My son has uses his pretty much as an EDC and I've been suprised by how long the blades last.
I agree the blades seem to last longer on Outdoor Edge. Sometimes I'll use their Lite model for EDC.