Replaceable Blade Knife Comparison, By Dioni Amuchastegui

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Cover-photo.jpg

When Dioni called and asked Ryan Avery which replaceable blade knife was best Ryan said: "I don't know, you should do a test to find out". So Dioni got to work figuring out how to test them. What he came up with is pretty cool and I think will be helpful in deciding which to buy.

Replaceable Blade Knife Comparison

photo-1-blades.jpg

Last edited:

Randle

WKR
I have been wondering about this and other knife options, as in s30v, 35 , and 90 steels also. I have been using the outdoor edge lately because for me the blade breakage is a deal breaker . Thanks for doing the test.
When the Gerber EBS comes out would you be able to do the same test on it? Edge retention and out of the box sharpness more then the breakage because the are a thick blade.This one has me really intrigued.
Thanks again

Last edited:

Mtaylor

Lil-Rokslider
I liked the article. Thanks for doing it! Outside from the outdoors edge blade won’t the other blades interchange between Havalon or Tyto knife handles?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
I have been wondering about this and other knife options, as in s30v, 35 , and 90 steels also. I have been using the outdoor edge lately because for me the blade breakage is a deal breaker . Thanks for doing the test.
When the Gerber EBS comes out would you be able to do the same test on it? Edge retention and out of the box sharpness more then the breakage because the are a thick blade.This one has me really intrigued.
Thanks again

There's more to come. I am in the very early stages of a fixed blade test. Also, I would consider doing an additional replaceable blade test if it seemed justified.

Great article! Love my Outdoors Edge and been wondering if there was use in trying anything else. Thought about a smaller, sharper (if possible) blade for capeing. Tyto looks like a great option for that.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Really enjoyed your scientific approach to testing each blade. @dioni.a.312 which knife do you carry now?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk
Thank you!
I'm currently carrying the havalon shown in the test with tyto blades. It took me a few seasons to become proficient with it and for a time I defected to outdoor edge. Now that I'm back with the havalon I haven't broke a blade for a few years. My primary concern was sharpness so the tyto was an easy pick for blades. I haven't used one of their handles to know if I like it.

Great write up.

My havalon has been dropping it’s blade enough to make me question my set up - really hate fishing around in a gut pile for a razor blade. Been thinking about changing it up and this is good info on the blade front. Thanks

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Great write up Dioni! Happy to see you writing for Rokslide and hope to see more. Now we need to get you switched to Tyto!

I'm not opposed to trying one! My havalon has seen a pile of critters and isn't long for the world. When it kicks the bucket I'll probably go that way.

Dioni thanks for the test. It’s interesting to me that your durability tests and measurements align the TYTO blade with the Havalon 60XT blade, however the sharpness and edge retention does not reflect my own non scientific results. I switched to a TYTO handle January 2019 and alternated blades (TYTO blades and havalon 60A) on 7 animals this year. I never felt like the TYTO even resembled the sharpness of the 60A blades and I pretty much broke every one of the TYTO blades that came with the handle, the TYTO blades for me did not hold their sharpness nearly as long either. TYTO blade breakage was mostly snapped sideways when I didn’t feel I was applying sideways pressure and maybe half or less on the back over the top of the blade retention slot. I either have a post or email from TYTO saying their blades are the same as the Havalon 60A blades and both my use and your testing show maybe they are similar to the 60XT blades. Bottom line is the 60A blades work extremely well for me and breaking one is almost unheard of. 3 elk, 2 antelope, 2 deer this year alternating between the two. The one other blade feature I have found advantageous is to have a taper at the back end where the cutting edge starts. On the 22XT havalon blades there is a little edge there that if caught on hide or meat will snap that blade instantly. Didn’t see the Gerber blade on your list and I can assure you it’s not worth your time. Those blades are not very sharp and dull easy. My gerber handle also wouldn’t accept other brand blades and the back half of the blade was not functional due to the retention system.

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Dioni thanks for the test. It’s interesting to me that your durability tests and measurements align the TYTO blade with the Havalon 60XT blade, however the sharpness and edge retention does not reflect my own non scientific results. I switched to a TYTO handle January 2019 and alternated blades (TYTO blades and havalon 60A) on 7 animals this year. I never felt like the TYTO even resembled the sharpness of the 60A blades and I pretty much broke every one of the TYTO blades that came with the handle, the TYTO blades for me did not hold their sharpness nearly as long either. TYTO blade breakage was mostly snapped sideways when I didn’t feel I was applying sideways pressure and maybe half or less on the back over the top of the blade retention slot. I either have a post or email from TYTO saying their blades are the same as the Havalon 60A blades and both my use and your testing show maybe they are similar to the 60XT blades. Bottom line is the 60A blades work extremely well for me and breaking one is almost unheard of. 3 elk, 2 antelope, 2 deer this year alternating between the two. The one other blade feature I have found advantageous is to have a taper at the back end where the cutting edge starts. On the 22XT havalon blades there is a little edge there that if caught on hide or meat will snap that blade instantly. Didn’t see the Gerber blade on your list and I can assure you it’s not worth your time. Those blades are not very sharp and dull easy. My gerber handle also wouldn’t accept other brand blades and the back half of the blade was not functional due to the retention system.

Thanks for the input. I believe I can speak to the discrepancy. For a period of time tyto was using havalon blades (I never discovered which) they have since come up with their own supplier. I would bet that the blades you had pre date that switch. My testing isn't a perfect replication of field use but I wanted it to be as scientific and impartial as I could make it. I wouldn't have any problem using the 60A if blade breakage was a primary concern for me. Other than the medical company blades there was no real loser in this group.
I had heard enough bad about the Gerber blade to not include it.

"The Outdoor Edge is plenty sharp and without question the toughest to break"

What I have found as well and I don't think I could find a replaceable blade knife that fits my needs better.

rcdinaz

FNG
Great write up! Will be adding a Tyto to the line up soone.

For me the Havalon gut hook and saw blade was a game changer last year. Also the plastic safety tool to remove the blades has removed the worry of accidental injury.

Superdoo

WKR
Any thoughts on which one is easiest to use? Specifically how easy are blade changes vs. retention ability and which one am I least likely to need stitches after using it?

Dioni A

Basque Assassin
Any thoughts on which one is easiest to use? Specifically how easy are blade changes vs. retention ability and which one am I least likely to need stitches after using it?
I am not experienced with them but I understand that havalon has a small plastic tool that helps removing the blade. Outside that the outdoor edge is good unless you let it harden up.

The OE is really simple. The blade angle is kind of weak, but I resharpen the used ones to a more durable angle.