Replaceable blade knife options

Choog

FNG
Looking at getting a replaceable blade knife. Does anyone have strong preferences between Outdoor Edge, Havalon or Tyto and why?

I think Camofire carries Outdoor Edge and Havalon so I’m leaning towards those. Just curious if anyone has had any quality issues with any of these.

Thanks in advance

7-Pointers

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon (piranta) is significantly lighter (1.6 oz), but I broke a lot of blades butchering. Outdoor Edge Blaze (3.75oz) is much more durable and worth the extra weight for me to have the peace of mind and need to change fewer blades. Changing blades scares the hell out of me with the piranta. That said, if I'm alone, I take the Havalon as backup in case I lose my outdoor edge knife as seems to happen more frequently than I'd like.

rclouse79

WKR
I like the design and release of the outdoor edge, but I think havalon holds a better edge. I have used a havalon for years and only tried the outdoor edge because I was having a hard time getting the blade off the havalon when it was covered in bear far. I picked up some of the havalon blade removers and they are slick. I always thought I would be a havalon guy for life. I tried another knife on one animal and now I am back to my original.

Randle

WKR
The Gerber EBS is pretty slick, so far I have only used it on a turkey and I like the blades and handle. The blade retention and release work well.

jmez

WKR
I prefer the Outdoor edge to the Havalon. Blade changes are safer and easier. Blade is much more durable.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk

wseidel

WKR
I forgot to add that the Gerber Randy Newberg EBS is 20% off at the Gerber site with the following promo code: Randy

Hope this helps...

sndmn11

WKR
I have never had any issue with the havalon retention system and think it is ridiculously simple and safe to use. I wish gerber or leatherman would make a multitool with a scalpel blade attachment.

Drenalin

WKR
I've used a Havalon Piranta for the last 5 years maybe, and have never had any issues with it. As someone else mentioned, their blade removers work well. That said, I bought a used Tyto on here a few months ago and will be using it this year. Biggest reason for that is the Tyto should be a lot easier to clean blood and tissue off of after the hunt; it's a little bit of a pain scrubbing inside the handle of the Piranta.

I kept all the blades I had for my Havalon and they fit perfectly on the Tyto - I think the big difference in blades is that you're going to want to stick with 60A regardless of which handle you end up with. Unless you want a different shape or length of blade, then there are other options of course.

I prefer the Havalon/Tyto type system with Havalon 60A blades. Don't let anyone tell you the scalpel blades provided with other knife handles are equivalent, THEY ARE NOT. Don't waste your time on the Gerber version that takes similar baldes, it was a pain and didn't fit my Havalon blades and only about the front half of the blade was usable with the retention system. Outdoor Edge is alright but the blade is nowhere near as sharp and doesn't hold an edge all that long, you do gain some durability. There are several scalpel blade handle options besides havalon and tyto, HME or some generic ones off Amazon for $10-15 work just as well.

406unltd

WKR
I like my small gerber vital. I think I would rather have the tyto it this one works fine. I do like that the tyto isn’t a folder though.

Jn78

Lil-Rokslider
I have used the small Gerber Vital on about ten deer and eight elk. It has worked fine for me. I broke one or two blades over the years, but it was my fault. If I am careful, one blade easily gets me through a deer. Taking the blade off is easy. They occasionally have them on sale on Camofire and Midway. I haven't used a Tyto and they sound nicer, but I have zero complaints with the Gerber.

twall13

WKR
I have never had any issue with the havalon retention system and think it is ridiculously simple and safe to use. I wish gerber or leatherman would make a multitool with a scalpel blade attachment.
Havalon makes one, the Evolve. Unless you prefer Gerber or Leatherman for the multitool side of things.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

twall13

WKR
I had a havalon for a few years and replaced it with a Tyto. My two reasons for the switch were:

1. I hated cleaning the Havalon after using it on an animal and getting fat and blood in all the tight places. The Tyto is much easier in that regard.

2. The Havalon I had wasn't very comfortable in my hand and I do prefer the Tyto, especially wrapped in cordage. That said, I know Havalon makes other models and my brother uses one that looks to have a much better handle than mine had so if you go that route make sure you opt for a model with a comfortable grip.

I'll also echo the post above about using 60A blades, they work better than any of the others I've tried as far as durabilty and sharpness go. I also didn't have a problem changing blades on the Havalon but it is a bit easier with the Tyto.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I use outdoor edge. holds an edge really well. Is very sharp out of package and very easy to sharpen. I like the durability and feel much better than havalon.

PA Hunter

WKR
I only use the replaceable knives for moose & elk but i like the outdoor edge the best, i have never broke a blade on one. Also they make a longer blade model nice for deboning.

gexpro

WKR
Classified Approved
this season ill be wearing the Kestrel mountain scalpel around my neck, and have the Kestrel titanium EDC in my pack for a lightweight fix blade.

top notch quality. Made in the USA and a small local business.