Replaceable blade knife options

guyhaz

FNG
Havlon Piranta can be a real bear to switch out the blades. I am looking at going the Gerber route after seeing how easily it is to swap blades.

superjo

FNG
Looking at getting a replaceable blade knife. Does anyone have strong preferences between Outdoor Edge, Havalon or Tyto and why?

I think Camofire carries Outdoor Edge and Havalon so I’m leaning towards those. Just curious if anyone has had any quality issues with any of these.

Thanks in advance
I really prefer the Havalon because of the light weight. However be careful when you replace the blades, safe to use plier instead of fingers. They are as sharp as you like it

AKaDougie

FNG
Havalon piranta holds edge better then the rest. Blades suck to change so carry the plastic blade remover they make. Blades break off while butchering.

Outdoor edge is durable. Blades get dull faster then a knife. Once they get bloody and messy just as hard to change blades out.

Gerber vital will break don't buy one. The rectangular peace that holds blade breaks. Mine did in the middle of a moose processing.

I am back to making mylines with havalon then finish butcher job with a fixed blade. I am going to try the Havalon titan this coming year.

dsotm

Lil-Rokslider
Went to Havalon a couple years ago after always using a buck knife, the difference is night and day. Havalon is great.

The greatest attribute about the outdoor edge knives is their price. When you lose one, you don’t feel bad about buying another. When you start finding the “lost” ones, you’ll end up with 5 or 6. Ask me how I know.

Frank Grimes

Lil-Rokslider
I have the Havalon with two blades. It had the smaller blade and the bigger one. Right now I have the bone saw on the big side and the small blade. I like it. I thought it was to big at first but it seems to work well. Plus I can always put in the hunter/skinner blade if I need something abit more robust.

The folding aluminum handle havalon I’ve used on two deer with the 60a blades and it works great but it’s definitely a pain to clean after use. Don’t have to worry about it in the field though which is nice. With the havalon, 5 60a blades, case, and blade changer it shows 3.8 oz on my scale.

mthayr

WKR
Old thread revived here, but I'm going to offer up a contrary voice. The Havalon #22XT blades have/do work best for me in a replaceable blade knife. I currently use them with a Goat Knives handle for its utility, but if I were to do it over I'd probably buy an Ovis Scalpel.

Most of the time folks snap blades its because they are doing something with them they're not designed for (popping joints etc). Simple solution is to bring two knives - a light fixed blade for camp work and the afore mentioned joint popping, and a smaller-bladed scalpel for skinning and such. YMMV but using the right tool for the job has always served me well.

Highhuntin

Lil-Rokslider
Havalon is to sharp for me! I keep my knives sharp but to many stories of people cutting themselves really bad with the scalpels for me to use in the mountains.

I have used a havalon for a while now and it has always been great for me. I also carry a hogue skinning knife for when I need something a little more sturdy.

(edited)_IMG_3587.png