Replaceable Blade Knife Recommendations?

Young Blood

Lil-Rokslider
Looking at getting a replaceable blade knife for next year (Gerber, Outdoor Edge, Havalon, Tyto, others?). Does anybody have recommendations on a specific brand/model along with an explanation of why it is better then the others? Thanks in advance!

ericF

WKR
I only have experience with the Outdoor Edge and the Havalon. The Havalon is sharper than the outdoor edge but the blade is a little smaller and it is harder to change out. I went with the Outdoor edge because the spine on the blade allows more torquing when cutting around joints. In my initial search many people said that you had to be more careful with the Havalon to not break the blade, but that as long as you didn't torque it then it was fine. The Outdoor Edge is amazingly easy to change out, but the one downside is that if you leave the blade it after you have gutted something out and it dries up, then you might need some needle nose pliers to get the blade out. As long as you take the blade out while everything is still damp or if you wash it then it won't be a problem. I sold my Havalon to my hunting buddy for $20 and he thinks it is the greatest thing in the world. So they both have pros and cons, but they are both great knives.

FlyGuy

WKR
I started using the tyto last fall, used it on a moose, bear and mouflon ram. Very, very impressed. The hype is real. I have not used any of the others, but my research on the forum pointed me to the tyto over all of them.

You can’t cheat the mountain

I've used them all. The folding ones (Havalon, Gerber & Outdoor edge) all get gummed up and nasty, so i prefer the fixed handle type. The Gerber has too much going on in the blade changing department and it gets nasty and get caught up. The outdoor edge is too big and the blades aren't as sharp and are more expensive (you should buy the blades in bulk online). of the folders the plain havalon is the lightest and best, but I still don't like it. Also why does it need to fold. I carry the knife handle and 5 blades. when i need to use it i put on a blade and when I'm done the blade comes back off.

Of the ones you listed the Tyto is the best. But now I just use a plastic handled #8 scalpel handle that was $7 on amazon.

I cut the handle down so its easier to get in tight places (rib cages) and added a short piece of cord.

https://www.amazon.com/Scientific-L...TF8&qid=1547065497&sr=8-2&keywords=#8+scalpel

542fb5374c9f022d546797ee5d9fb88b.jpg

Bladeless Havalon weighs 1.4oz, for what it’s worth. I use this because it’s easier to clean up and I like the handle better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I only did a few deer before getting an OE and have since done three elk and a bunch of deer. My Havalon collects dust now.
My current favorite OE is the Onyx Lite. I also resharpen my blades.

lvtuna

FNG
We used the Havalon piranta on a elk last December. First time using this knife. I recommend this system. I did use a leatherman to change the blades. Not sure if others are easier to change. No blades broke and we abused it.

FlyGuy

WKR
The tyto is easy to change as long as you do it before the blood and gore dries. Just softly jam it into a tree/stump/deadfall then twist. That was one of the big reasons I chose the tyto,most of the others ones seemed to require a leather man tool for a safe blade change (but I have never attempted it myself on any other brand). If you do forget to remove the blade right after you finish processing your animal and wait until it’s all dried (glued) to do it, then that process can get a little sketchy.

You can’t cheat the mountain

BluMtn

WKR
I have the outdoor edge folder. As far as the sharpness of the blades I have used the Havalon and the OD and I have not noticed a difference. I can generally get a couple elk or about 3 mule deer per blade. And when I bought my OD I bought a large supply of extra blades at the same time. When I finish with my knife I try and wash it down and knock the big stuff off and the when I get home I put it in the dishwasher or if at camp I will put it in a bowl of warm water and wash it.

I've used pretty much all of them on a minimum of two animals.

Originally started with the Havalon Prianta and 60XT blades when they came out. Broke too many blades mostly right on the spine in the middle of the attachment point. Went to a Havalon Piranta Bolt with 60A blades and its performed since exceptionally well and really no complaints at all. To change blades I found the little plastic blade changer does not work that well most of the time so I carry the smallest pair of Hemostats I could find (probably 2.5-3" long) and they work great to change the blade. Tried the gerber for easier blade changes and it left alot to be desired. The back half of the blade was more or less useless with the attachment mechanist being almost the same height as the blade edge, Gerber blades are pretty dull and dull easier than Havalon 60A blades. My gerber did not fit Havalon 60A blades but now I believe they do. Outdoor edge I still have just rarely use and hand it to my wife most of the time since she is less of a cutter and more of a hack and pryer with a knife. Outdoor edge blades just are not nearly as sharp as the 60A blades and they dull quickly and edges fold over easily. You can resharpen them but I don't typically. You will never break a blade but they can get stuck as mentioned above.

For Christmas I gave my trusty Havalon Bolt to a friend that lost his Piranta using XT blades and ordered myself a cerakoted orange Tyto to try out. So far blade changes seem easy enough although no animals processed yet. My one concern is actually pulling the blade off by accident when in use since the back edge or the retainer does not have much grip but only time will tell. There was absolutely nothing wrong with the Havalon's using 60A blades for me but I thought I would try the Tyto and if its easier to clean up at the end of the day that's just another bonus.

slowelk

WKR
I had a havalon with the 60 XT, similar results to those above - broken blades. Got a Tyto, it made my hand tired and prone to cramping due to the thin handle. Went back to a newer model Havalon with 60 A blades, and I'm happy I did. Only knock on the folding havalon is the ease of cleaning, but I just boil it after processing.

I have never used the gerber or tyto but have been using a havalon for about 4 years that has seen around 30 animals and have used an outdoor edge a handful of times. The outdoor edge has a feel more similar to a traditional knife and is much sturdier for side-loading the blade. The havalon is lighter for a backpacking kit and is more nimble for detail work like skinning out a face. They're both good knives, it just depends on what you're looking for.

bigbulls

Lil-Rokslider
The Outdoor edge for me, you can pry/dig leg joints and do 2 muleys or one elk with one blade. The blades do like to get stuck if not cleaned right. I will pull the blade and clean right away as much as possible till hot water becomes available. They are not lite weight so if your trying to save an ounce then something else might be better for you. I have 9 elk and 7 muleys on mine and it is still going strong.

I've used the Havalon doing the gutless method on dozens of animals. I haven't broken a blade since probably the second animal, so there's a quick learning curve where you let the blade do the cutting instead of forcing it like a buck knife or something. I decided to the try the Outdoor Edge this year and was going to use it all Fall but only made it about 5 minutes into the first animal before going back to the Havalon. I couldn't believe how dull it was compared to the Havalon, brand new blade and everything. With all that being said and after using the Havalon for years I've recently acquired a Tyto and will be using that this Fall, I like the bigger handle and non-folding aspect of the Tyto over the Havalon and they use the same blades.

jmden

WKR
Have used Outdoor Edge on critters and switched to Havalon Baracuta several years ago and have taken apart quite a few animals with it. Main advantage of Baracuta? The saw that fits where the blade goes. I had been carrying a 7 oz bone saw to cap deer or take out a tooth on a bear--no more. The greater utility of the Baracuta at a very light weight sold me. I also like the bigger handle and blade than some other Havalons. Carry a couple of extra blades if on a hunt where you might take apart more than one critter and you're good to go. Broke one blade in '17 cutting through the neck spine on a cougar because I didn't consider that you can't torque that longer blade too much, but had a spare, so no prob and learned from that. I resharpen dulled blades to at least as sharp as new so the 5-6 blades I have will last me a long time. A very practical choice for the backpack hunter who takes out a deer cap or bear tooth. However, the saw is not robust enough for elk I don't think. Could you do it, yeah, but it might take an hour. I leave a real saw at the rig or camp for an elk skull cap. Done in 5 minutes.

Agross

WKR
I had been thinking about getting a replaceable blade knife for years and always blew it off because I have several fixed blade hunting knives. I finally purchased an outdoor edge for an upcoming elk hunt(unsuccessful) I ended up using it on a couple whitetail this fall and loved it Plenty sharp for what I was doing. I just threw it in the dishwasher after use and it came out clean. Wish I woulda bought it sooner. When I bought it I figured as long as I was paying shipping I might as well get extra blades. So I should be good for a while.

Last edited:
Been using havalons for the last 3 years. No complaints. I am careful when changing blades and disposing of them. I even bought a pack of their blade changing tool.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk