Replacement trigger for winchester model 70

Bsnyder

WKR
Any tnoughts, its my first win 70 and the trigger is at 6.75lbs on my gauge any one have thoughts on which way to go. I'm a huge trigger tech fan, but they don't make it for them I have a timney and its just not as crisp. Any thoughts on what to do where to go would be great.
Thanks.

I’ve never tried a trigger tech but I have the Timney on two model 70s. One is the old trigger and one is the new MOA trigger and I like them both a lot. Sorry I can’t compare it to trigger tech.

Trees91

WKR
Have you had a smith mess with your factory trigger? I have a older style m70(not moa) and I had my smith set it just below 3lbs. It’s pretty crisp. He may have put in a new spring to get the pull weight down.

OP
B

Bsnyder

WKR
I havent, normally I just replace but that's not a bad idea. I heard jewells are great but have to be kept super clean, any feedback on thoes? Trees 91what did that run at your Smith?

I have a Timney that works good, but a properly tuned factory trigger with a spring from Ernie the gunsmith is almost as good, for like $10

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
B

Bsnyder

WKR
Its the old style, and if that's the case im in, I like clean light triggers.

OP
B

Bsnyder

WKR
Those of you that went the spring route, do you like the target spring or the hunter?

TomM

FNG
I will just add that replacing the spring on the old style will most likely lighten the pull, but may or may not give you the crispness and let-off that you desire. More than likely the contact surfaces between the trigger and sear will need to be honed. If you are pretty handy, you can do this yourself. Everything is adjustable on the M70 trigger. You may be able to decrease the pull weight to your likening with the stock spring by simply backing off the jam nuts.

The reason some prefer the original M70 trigger for a wilderness type rifle is the trigger is all open. In the case of box style/enclosed triggers, they can easy accumulate oils and other moisture then freeze when afield. The M70 trigger is simple, very few moving parts and no where for moisture collect.

gbflyer

WKR
I havent, normally I just replace but that's not a bad idea. I heard jewells are great but have to be kept super clean, any feedback on thoes? Trees 91what did that run at your Smith?

Had a Jewell on a pre64 for years as a guide gun. It was carried a lot but never called upon in a situation where it was really needed. I don’t think I’d do it again though. Jewells are great when set up light, I’ve got 3 of them left. I’ve never liked them set above about #1.5. To me they get creepy past that.

WKR
Finally got around to buying a couple of Ernie's springs for some Rem 700 actions I had laying around. All I can say is wow. For $18 delivered, I have two excellent feeling triggers. Have to be right at 2 pounds and very crisp. Nice when something works as advertised.

OP
B

Bsnyder

WKR
Gun is at the smith right now getting the trigger cleaned up and a break installed, 2 weeks down 4 to go.