Replacing a recoil pad

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
How hard is it?

I have a remington 700 375HH that only weighs ~ 7.5lbs, I see that there are some pre fit recoil pads for the remington 700s.

Is this as easy as just cutting the old one out and gluing the new one in???

What sort of glue??? any suggestions on recoil pads???

Thanks!!!

OP
thinhorn_AK

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
I dont believe it does, its a plastic stocked xcr2 from ~ 2010, I dont believe the pad is screwed in.

Wrench

WKR
Do you have a belt/disc sander? How picky are you on fit?

If you want a custom fit, I use two colors of masking tape and grind through the first color. I have a jig that I built to do them, but the tape works as well and faster.

If you're ok with close, there are prefits that are close. If you need to add screws, bed a piece of wood into the stock.

OXN939

WKR
Interested in this as well for a Remington 700 BDL I'm picking up. Most of the tutorial videos online show cutting the stock down some in order to keep LOP consistent. Anyone got any experience with installing one of these thinner ones without having to cut the stock? Don't have access to a band saw at the moment

JFK

WKR
I fit one to a stock a while back. Here what I did. Remove the old pad and screw the new one on. It will be too large but you will see where the stock hits the hard plastic on the pad. Use a small craft razor and scribe the outline of the stock onto the hard plastic of the pad. Be careful not to to knick the stock and also keep the line continuous and clean. The better job you do at this the easier the rest will be. Now remove the pad and put some chalk dust in the base plate where you scribed the outline if the buttstock. Blue off the extra and you should have a a nice clean outline of what you need to sand away. Wheel will work but what you really want is a vertical belt sander. Sand up to about 1/16” from the line and remount it just to check fit. Remove and SLOWLY sand some more, working g up to the line. Good idea to swap out to a much finer grit belt at this point so you don’t remove too much material. At this point I remount it, recheck fit. Make small marks on the pad with chalk anywhere you need to find tune fit and do that portion with a hand sanding block. Use increasingly finer bits of sandpaper so you you are smoothing things out to a finished edge as you go. Once fit is perfect I’ll lightly clamo it in a vice and take a scrap of fabric with armor-all and buff the edge to further smooth it out. You might be able to use a wheel here but I have never done it. Best to work slow. Once it’s nice and smooth mount it to the stock and you’re good to go.