Replacing a Vane on a Wrapped Arrow without replacing the entire Wrap?

psirus7

WKR
This might be a silly question. I started fletching my own arrows last month and have been having a blast with my Bitz. I've damaged a few individual vanes from practice sessions. Is it possible to replace an individual vane on a wrapped arrow w/o pulling off the entire wrap (and the rest of the vanes)? I don't think this is important but I'm shooting Axis Match 300s with a nock-on full wrap, and 3 fletched right-helical AAE max Stealth's with max bond adhesive. Tipping and Tailing w/ Fletch Tite.

Zac

WKR
Probably not, the Firenock jig is the only one that works great for refletching one vane. You'll typically plug the vane in the wrong orientation with the Bitz.

Zac

WKR
The whole point of a wrap is to pull the entire thing off and start over. There is no way your going to get good adhesion with crusty glue on a wrap. If you want to replace one vane at a time you need to ditch the wraps. That being said the only real way to do that is to leave your nock in the exact same place it was when it went on the jig.

Trial153

WKR
Honestly I been thinking moving away with wraps... for this and couple other reasons.

OR Archer

WKR
Use a sharp razor blade and cut around the base of the vane carefully. Then you can peel it off and throw a new vane on. I wouldn’t do this for arrows with broadheads but works fine for field tip arrows.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
That being said the only real way to do that is to leave your nock in the exact same place it was when it went on the jig.

If you're OCD enough it's pretty easy to replace a single vane and have it in the same spot as before. Just set the arrow in the Bitz with the open fletch position somewhere near where it should go, then slide the clamp with the new vane down on the shaft and turn the arrow until it lines up. You can measure the other gaps and make sure it's the same on the new one before gluing it down. I replace at least a couple vanes just about every week. And this is why I have never even tried wraps.

Read1t48

WKR
I do what OR Archer describes. I also use a Vane Master and it will put it in the right spot every time.

Zac

WKR
If you're OCD enough it's pretty easy to replace a single vane and have it in the same spot as before. Just set the arrow in the Bitz with the open fletch position somewhere near where it should go, then slide the clamp with the new vane down on the shaft and turn the arrow until it lines up. You can measure the other gaps and make sure it's the same on the new one before gluing it down. I replace at least a couple vanes just about every week. And this is why I have never even tried wraps.
Yeah I m way too OCD for that. I want to make sure everything lines up exactly.

I replace one Blazer out of three on a 4" wrap when the need arises. I "slice" off the damaged vane very carefully with a sharp razor knife. The new vane is glued to the shaft with Fletchtite Platinum, same as the vanes on the wrap...extra dab on tip and tail of the vane. My initial shaft prep meant the shaft is clean and degreased under the wrap, so the only prep I do is ensuing the new vane sits entirely on the shaft, not on a bit of wrap. I use a Bitz and can line up the new vane by checking nock rotation/position with the remaining two vanes.

You've got nothing to lose trying this. If you like the results, use the arrow, if not, re-wrap and fletch.

OP
psirus7

psirus7

WKR
Thanks everyone. I tried slicing off the damaged vane, mangled my wrap, and ended up just re-wrapping and fletching the arrow all over again. I will probably go sans wrap in the future.