Replacing/adding sleeping bag down

Mikido

WKR
Would like to hear from peoples experiences replacing or adding down themselves. Seems pretty straightforward, cut open, stuff and sew. My bag has the baffles going vertically however.

Any tips?

RandyMac

FNG
I've thought about trying this on an old bag. I'd be interested to hear any experiences as well

SonnyDay

WKR
Have you considered washing the down that’s in there now? I did this on a 25-year old bag and it improved performance noticeably. It was a (back in its day) high quality North Face mountaineering bag in case that’s useful info…

*zap*

WKR
wm topped off and added overfill to an old bag that I sent them, I washed it first...good and full now.

Upcountry

Lil-Rokslider
Just be prepared for a mess! It's not difficult at all, aside from getting a similar amount of down into each baffle. It's worth trying to weigh out separate 1 gallon ziplock baggies to try to get them somewhat equal. To accomplish that you'll need a pretty accurate scale that measures grams to at least one decimal place. To remove the old down, a shopvac works great.

Coat4gun

FNG
Here is one way to do it. I have not tried it but it seems to work for many and is way less messy then other methods.