Replacing my climber. Need recommendations.

Been using a Summit Viper for 15 years, to both rifle and bow hunt out of. . Need to replace it. Wondering if there is something else out there that is lighter and/or easier to pack. Mostly public land. NOT uncommon to walk two or three miles to a spot. Also not uncommon to walk couple hundred yards. I may just buy another summit. Just don’t know what else is out there that is super comfortable for long sits, but fairly packable. Any suggestions and shared experiences appreciated.

Drenalin

WKR
My opinion, there’s nothing more comfortable than the Summit Viper. But, a Lone Wolf sit and climb with a Hazmore seat is close, and quite a bit more packable. I’d go with the Lone Wolf.

Only other ones I’ve used are Summit Goliath (too big) and an Ol Man (not a great connection to the tree).

Edit to add: I also had a Lone Wolf hand climber; great to carry, easy to climb with, miserable to sit in more than a couple hours.

OP
Bezamaelee
My opinion, there’s nothing more comfortable than the Summit Viper. But, a Lone Wolf sit and climb with a Hazmore seat is close, and quite a bit more packable. I’d go with the Lone Wolf.

Only other ones I’ve used are Summit Goliath (too big) and an Ol Man (not a great connection to the tree).

Edit to add: I also had a Lone Wolf hand climber; great to carry, easy to climb with, miserable to sit in more than a couple hours.
Thanks for the reply. On that Lone Wolf, do you use the hazmore back rest also or is the seat all you need for long sits?

Drenalin

WKR
Thanks for the reply. On that Lone Wolf, do you use the hazmore back rest also or is the seat all you need for long sits?
I always just used the seat, then wrapped one of my extra layers around the tree trunk to prevent any noise against the bark.

StorMay05

FNG
Company near me called Cougar Claw makes a nice one that looks comfortable, and can be adjusted safely to climb higher while in it. If I ever replaced my summit that’s what I’d be looking at. It’s not light though basically a deluxe summit.

To make carrying more comfortable you can throw a set of MOLLE II backpack straps and waist belt on your summit. I did it on mine and have no problems with weight even if I carry my stand for a few hours check out places.

Huge fan of my lone wolf setup. I did recently switch from the MR Mule on a Guide Lite frame to the MR Pop Up 28. More room in the pop up and the way the climber fits in the shelf is cleaner. Hope this helps...

7ff7d9f92fc0e180125bc0cc8a706b08.jpg

acecaa46cea2d942b4697d46a1f9f208.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used a Summit Viper for years. At times, I miss it because it was like sitting in a La-Z-Boy! But I definitely don’t miss lugging it around. I took the dive into a saddle two years ago and won’t ever look back. I know they get talked up to the point where it’s annoying, but they are worth a look if you’re willing to consider something totally new. If you’re walking 2+ miles to a spot I think you would be instantly sold by how lightweight and compact the setup is compared to a climber.

OP
Bezamaelee
Huge fan of my lone wolf setup. I did recently switch from the MR Mule on a Guide Lite frame to the MR Pop Up 28. More room in the pop up and the way the climber fits in the shelf is cleaner. Hope this helps...

7ff7d9f92fc0e180125bc0cc8a706b08.jpg

acecaa46cea2d942b4697d46a1f9f208.jpg

I have a pop up 28 and love it. This looks like a super effective setup.

I did switch from the hand climber, to the sit and climb seat. I like to get up there and for me the sit and climb was more effective and quiet to get some elevation. The extra four or so inches of width are well worth the benefit.

Rich M

WKR
I have a LW SnC and it is quiet. Not as comfy for my big butt tho. 20-21 pounds i think.

Some of the $300 aluminum stands might be lighter.

Zdub02

WKR
If you're set on a climber I'd look at the summit open shot. No sit/shooting bar like the viper and its lighter. My scale weighed mine at 16#. I think the seat is plenty comfy and I've done plenty of all day sits in it.

I used a summit viper for 15 years and it is the most comfortable stand I've ever used. The issue with them is they are a pain to pack and the tree you need to be in isn't always a tree a climber will go in. I switched to a saddle and love it but they aren't for everyone. I would highly recommend a light weight hang-on stand or a saddle and a set of climbing sticks. One of those set ups will reduce weight for long walks in and you'll get a lower profile on your back making it easier to slip through the woods quickly.

KMW

FNG
I have a lone wolf hand climber and a summit viper. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. Lone wolf is super light and low profile, great for hiking in long distances. But I absolutely hate climbing with it. Summit is awesome to climb with and rock solid but quite a bit bulkier than the lone wolf. If I could only have one, I'd go with the summit.

All that said, I also have a saddle set-up and prefer that above all else when it comes to a mobile setup.

I would get a hang on instead of a climber for sure. Opens up way more options for tree selection.

aroesch

FNG
My run and gun climber is currently an X-Stand X-1. I often hike in 2 miles and this one is lightweight with a low profile.
It is about 14 lbs with the upgraded molle straps.

I do have a summit climber as well but ever since I got the x-stand, it does not get used.

I am currently eyeing the lone wolf hand climber II.

I would get a hang on instead of a climber for sure. Opens up way more options for tree selection.

I never have really felt super safe climbing or descending a climber, even though videos make it look easy.

The videos I’ve watched of setting up climbing sticks look sketch. If the video looks sketch, I can only imagine it’s worse in person. I know a lot of folks do it, and I might just be a baby.

I never have really felt super safe climbing or descending a climber, even though videos make it look easy.

The videos I’ve watched of setting up climbing sticks look sketch. If the video looks sketch, I can only imagine it’s worse in person. I know a lot of folks do it, and I might just be a baby.

Its only unsafe if you aren’t attached to the the tree as you ascend. If you stay attached with your lineman’s belt, its safer than climbing up a ladder stand.

gjs4

Lil-Rokslider
Missing that replacement had to be a climber - I’d suggest looking at saddles as a hero hook rifle rest off your tether is something anyone with a gun would love.