Replacing my climber. Need recommendations.

kfili

Lil-Rokslider
im switching from a viper to open shot this year- so so much lighter and better for bow

FLATHEAD

WKR
I need a new one myself. Been a while.
But dang they done got pricey.
May just add another hang on stand to the arsenal.

schmalzy

WKR
Huge fan of my lone wolf setup. I did recently switch from the MR Mule on a Guide Lite frame to the MR Pop Up 28. More room in the pop up and the way the climber fits in the shelf is cleaner. Hope this helps...

7ff7d9f92fc0e180125bc0cc8a706b08.jpg

acecaa46cea2d942b4697d46a1f9f208.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is one of the cleanest set ups I’ve seen. I run a SG solo and strap it to the back. I like this set up quite a bit. How quick is getting it set in the pack and detaching the bag from frame? Smooth, streamlined pack/stand set ups are a priority for me.

Looks awesome. I’m going to pick up a pop up the next time I see one in the classifieds.

This is one of the cleanest set ups I’ve seen. I run a SG solo and strap it to the back. I like this set up quite a bit. How quick is getting it set in the pack and detaching the bag from frame? Smooth, streamlined pack/stand set ups are a priority for me.

Looks awesome. I’m going to pick up a pop up the next time I see one in the classifieds.

Schmalzy, I have never put myself on a timer and I typically try to be quiet and not use any light... with that said, from the time I get to my desired tree to the time I start climbing it is probably right around 3-4 minutes.

On the reverse, from the time I jump out of the tree to the time I am walking it is probably double that. I have found a few ways to streamline the process; I have used a white paint marker to mark where all the packs straps/buckles should pass through the climber, to keep it consistent and have the climber “locked in” to the pack. To me it pays to be methodical with my setup and tear down.

I was considering moving to a saddle setup, but in my part of the country it is rare for me to not find a good tree in the area I want to be in.... Southern Va, mostly on military bases and in the “backcountry”.

Lowg08

WKR
I went away from climbers. I now have a saddle set up and a butt pad. I can carry it all and be ready for each situation. You can also use the platform as a tree seat with a pad

schmalzy

WKR
Schmalzy, I have never put myself on a timer and I typically try to be quiet and not use any light... with that said, from the time I get to my desired tree to the time I start climbing it is probably right around 3-4 minutes.

On the reverse, from the time I jump out of the tree to the time I am walking it is probably double that. I have found a few ways to streamline the process; I have used a white paint marker to mark where all the packs straps/buckles should pass through the climber, to keep it consistent and have the climber “locked in” to the pack. To me it pays to be methodical with my setup and tear down.

I was considering moving to a saddle setup, but in my part of the country it is rare for me to not find a good tree in the area I want to be in.... Southern Va, mostly on military bases and in the “backcountry”.

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it. Like the paint marker idea, will have to try it. Is the pack a reasonable enough size you can keep it in the stand with you?

What part of southern VA? I went to high school in Chesapeake and spent a lot of time in VB. Hunted a few times on the Eastern Shore.

Thanks for the detailed response, appreciate it. Like the paint marker idea, will have to try it. Is the pack a reasonable enough size you can keep it in the stand with you?

What part of southern VA? I went to high school in Chesapeake and spent a lot of time in VB. Hunted a few times on the Eastern Shore.

Yes it is, I typically have the waist belt “wrap” the tree... this lets me reach inside the pack easily seated or standing. I try to position it so the top is around the height of my elbow when I am seated.

I am close to Kerr Lake, near the NC border.

Craftydoc

FNG
They aren't for everyone, and they're fairly minimal, but easy and light to pack around. I have an X-Stand. I was a little concerned when I first got it about how it would hold in the tree, but it's rock solid.

I know Lone Wolf is an excellent product, but has anyone here tried the XOP stands? I had a Vanish I used for run and gun that was right at 10#, but the sticks added another 14#. I had a lot of options on tree selection using a hang on, but as has been mentioned, using a saddle opens up a lot of new trees to hunt out of. I've been using a saddle and a Double Rope Technique climbing method (single 75' rope) to get into big oaks and gnarly trees it's easy to hide in.