Report Violations on Public Land!

hh76

Lil-Rokslider
One of my favorite hunting spots in Northern WI is down an old service road. A few years ago someone had too much fun in the mud and tore it up to the point that it couldn't really be used anymore. I wish they would have gated the trail in the spring so that wouldn't have happened.

Bighorner

WKR
What good is a road you can’t use? None….

It exists to facilitate access via wheeled vehicle. Literally, the reason it was built.

As you said…thousands of miles? You can’t walk that. It’s too vast.

The only way to cover some of the larger areas and spread out, away from other people, is via ATV.

Road closure is de facto denial of access to the places beyond walking distance.

That’s flat out wrong.

It's not beyond walking distance, just beyond what you want to walk. Theres always a good road leading up to the closed one.

It's not thousands of miles in a line, its thousands of one mile roads scattered across a state.

It's all out there for you to look into. Its literally on publicly avaible maps. Ignorance is not an excuse.

Thank goodness Lewis and Clark had wheelers or we would all still be sitting in St. Louis wondering what was over the horizon.

If you want to drive around gates the interweb can't stop you. But dont be surprised when you get called in, confronted, or a concerned citizen practices social disobedience by getting your tires to the proper inflation for that elevation.

Happy Trails amigo!

OP
Nickofthewoods
If you want to drive around gates the interweb can't stop you. But dont be surprised when you get called in, confronted, or a concerned citizen practices social disobedience by getting your tires to the proper inflation for that elevation.
I had a good opportunity to disable those atv's as the owners were nowhere in sight, and we're likely preoccupied fishing a good distance away. This would have forced them to walk out and then likely have to contact the Forest Service themselves. Though based on some of the posts here, I wouldn't be surprised if people like them would have just rammed the gate to go get their atv's, causing even more damage and problems. As tempting as this thought was, I didn't want to stoop to their level and break the law myself while also risking a confrontation in a remote area. Ultimately the issue was dealt with properly by the Forest Service, which again is why I posted this story encouraging people to do the same when they see illegal activity.

BuzzH

WKR

It exists to facilitate access via wheeled vehicle. Literally, the reason it was built.

The only way to cover some of the larger areas and spread out, away from other people, is via ATV.

Road closure is de facto denial of access to the places beyond walking distance.

That’s flat out wrong.
Obliterate roads and the problem goes away.

Then you have to walk.

Bighorner

WKR
I had a good opportunity to disable those atv's as the owners were nowhere in sight, and we're likely preoccupied fishing a good distance away. This would have forced them to walk out and then likely have to contact the Forest Service themselves. Though based on some of the posts here, I wouldn't be surprised if people like them would have just rammed the gate to go get their atv's, causing even more damage and problems. As tempting as this thought was, I didn't want to stoop to their level and break the law myself while also risking a confrontation in a remote area. Ultimately the issue was dealt with properly by the Forest Service, which again is why I posted this story encouraging people to do the same when they see illegal activity.

I agree with. It has crossed my mind as well, but I don't want to cause a heart attack in someone who can't get back to their vehicle. However I know darn well it happens and at least one guy who has a value steam tool on his pack.

I’ve done it…. I’ve pulled the valve cores out of tires so no damage done unless they drove on them, unhook spark plug wires, disconnect a battery all easy things to do without destruction of property. One time though I was pulling valve cores about 2 miles from the nearest road, I was about finished when the guy came out of the woods running at me yelling. Told him it’s not supposed to be there and he was breaking the law anyways, he told me I was vandalizing his property and he was going to call the CPW and turn me in. I dialed the game wardens cell phone for him, told him I’d wait right there with him. Unloaded my rifle sat it next to a tree and waited, when the game warden showed up the guy was going nuts, told him I was destroying his property, and he wanted to press charges plus I needed my license revoked, and a ticket. The game warden said ok I’ll write a ticket there are a few violations here I’d be happy to deal with. Took both of our ID’s and information and pulled out his book to record it. The guy calmed down smiled at me nodding his head pointing at the game warden. He walked back over handed us our info, pulled out 2 tickets and a warning, looked at me and handed them to the guy. His face went cold, he got an illegal use of a motorized vehicle off trail and an expired ohv tag. The warning was the vehicle must be removed within 48 hours or else it will be considered abandoned.

I was warned about deflating his tires but technically there was no destruction of property. And as long as I didn’t steal the valve cores I technically didn’t do anything wrong.

I felt like it was a win, don’t really care kinda glad he came running over, also glad he didn’t just shoot me but that was a risk. I’ll do it every time to, what are they gonna do? They call me in and they are literally incriminating themselves, and I don’t even have to make the call.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Nickofthewoods
I’ve done it…. I’ve pulled the valve cores out of tires so no damage done unless they drove on them, unhook spark plug wires, disconnect a battery all easy things to do without destruction of property. One time though I was pulling valve cores about 2 miles from the nearest road, I was about finished when the guy came out of the woods running at me yelling. Told him it’s not supposed to be there and he was breaking the law anyways, he told me I was vandalizing his property and he was going to call the CPW and turn me in. I dialed the game wardens cell phone for him, told him I’d wait right there with him. Unloaded my rifle sat it next to a tree and waited, when the game warden showed up the guy was going nuts, told him I was destroying his property, and he wanted to press charges plus I needed my license revoked, and a ticket. The game warden said ok I’ll write a ticket there are a few violations here I’d be happy to deal with. Took both of our ID’s and information and pulled out his book to record it. The guy calmed down smiled at me nodding his head pointing at the game warden. He walked back over handed us our info, pulled out 2 tickets and a warning, looked at me and handed them to the guy. His face went cold, he got an illegal use of a motorized vehicle off trail and an expired ohv tag. The warning was the vehicle must be removed within 48 hours or else it will be considered abandoned.

I was warned about deflating his tires but technically there was no destruction of property. And as long as I didn’t steal the valve cores I technically didn’t do anything wrong.

I felt like it was a win, don’t really care kinda glad he came running over, also glad he didn’t just shoot me but that was a risk. I’ll do it every time to, what are they gonna do? They call me in and they are literally incriminating themselves, and I don’t even have to make the call.

Well you're braver than me! 😁 I've had several confrontations and dangerous interactions with crazy and/or intoxicated people in the National Forest so I try to avoid that for the most part now.

Well you're braver than me! I've had several confrontations and dangerous interactions with crazy and/or intoxicated people in the National Forest so I try to avoid that for the most part now.

Never was accused of being the smartest man in the world, I have had confrontations before that were a little scarier.

That’s flat out wrong.
Like how people didn't spread out and explore the world pre ATV?

There's a four-wheel-drive trail adjacent to my outfitter's place on a ranch in the central mountains of Arizona that has seasonal closures enacted by the US Forest Service. There's all manner of ne'er do wells that cut through the cattle fence or cut a new two-track trail around the gate and outlying boulders placed by the Forest Service. The seasonal gate closure is there for a reason, but so many jerkoffs these days have no respect for laws, authority, or conservation in general. Basically, a reflection of an entitlement minded society that America has become.

EJDXT21

Lil-Rokslider
Like how people didn't spread out and explore the world pre ATV?
Didn't you know ATVs were used to cross the Bering land bridge? Sure there was a closed gate there, but it was their god given right to use that land bridge. Millions of acres of land was too vast to cover on foot. There's just no way people over 15000 years ago would have been able to cover that distance and successfully hunt wild animals without the use of ATVs or other motorized vehicles.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider

The guy might have been in the wrong, but if I walk up to someone pulling my valve stems you are going to catch some hands or a rifle stock to the forehead. Call the game warden, but messing with someone's stuff is a good way to get your ass whipped. Also, it's not your stuff, and not your land if it is public. There are people that are breaking the rules, but doing something like that is petty and childish and basically you were being a b!tch.

The guy might have been in the wrong, but if I walk up to someone pulling my valve stems you are going to catch some hands or a rifle stock to the forehead. Call the game warden, but messing with someone's stuff is a good way to get your ass whipped. Also, it's not your stuff, and not your land if it is public. There are people that are breaking the rules, but doing something like that is petty and childish and basically you were being a b!tch.

And you destroying public lands and riding around gates and stuff isn’t a petty, childish bitch move cause ur to lazy to walk like everyone else following the rules??

You and quackattack must share the same duck blind…. You two ride pole to hole when you tear up public lands and ride around gates to access your so called entitled rights to the public land?

But hey go ahead and whip my ass beat me with ur gun stock, I ain’t the one doing anything illegal gonna steal my phone to with the pics I already took of your illegally parked vehicle, OHV tags, License plate?

That walk out to get the air compressor would be a pretty miserable one…. Bet you’d be regretting ur self entitlement about half way

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
And you destroying public lands and riding around gates and stuff isn’t a petty, childish bitch move cause ur to lazy to walk like everyone else following the rules??

You and quackattack must share the same duck blind…. You two ride pole to hole when you tear up public lands and ride around gates to access your so called entitled rights to the public land?

But hey go ahead and whip my ass beat me with ur gun stock, I ain’t the one doing anything illegal gonna steal my phone to with the pics I already took of your illegally parked vehicle, OHV tags, License plate?

That walk out to get the air compressor would be a pretty miserable one…. Bet you’d be regretting ur self entitlement about half way

Slow down on the assumptions cowboy, I know the rules and try my best to not break any of them. All I am saying is mistakes can and do happen, maybe they were breaking the rules, I don't really care. All I am going to do is call it in to the person who is paid to enforce the rules and go on about my day. Playing Billy Wayne on the internet or in real life is a way to get involved with someone you don't know over something that isn't directly affecting you.

But speaking on the lazy part, are you too lazy to spell "you're" that you have to abbreviate it to "ur". I know long words are tough for a guy that thinks it's cool to pull valve stems on stuff that doesn't belong to him.

Slow down on the assumptions cowboy, I know the rules and try my best to not break any of them. All I am saying is mistakes can and do happen, maybe they were breaking the rules, I don't really care. All I am going to do is call it in to the person who is paid to enforce the rules and go on about my day. Playing Billy Wayne on the internet or in real life is a way to get involved with someone you don't know over something that isn't directly affecting you.

But speaking on the lazy part, are you too lazy to spell "you're" that you have to abbreviate it to "ur". I know long words are tough for a guy that thinks it's cool to pull valve stems on stuff that doesn't belong to him.

Actually I do that so that I know when someone no longer has a valid argument they start correcting grammar cause that’s the only way they feel they can get the upper hand. So once someone goes to being a grammar teacher, I know they no longer have valid points in the argument and are just scraping to get the last hand.

Ur welcome and btw it usually is affecting me, one person sees someone do it more and more do it, until it becomes a full on road. Then the USFS comes in and shuts it down and you have idiots like other posters thinking it’s their god given right to be there, and they start ripping down gates, driving around them and not caring. When in all honesty they have no clue as to why the road was even there but just think the USFS is sealing their rights. Much like the guy who was on a closed road and told me he’d been hunting that exact road for 25 years…. When 7 yrs earlier it was a small hiking and horse only trail, then mountain bikes started using it, 5 years before it was a full mtn bike trail, then it became a dirt bike trail and 4 wheeler trail til people starting taking Jeep’s down it and it turned into a highway.

deltadukman

Lil-Rokslider
Actually I do that so that I know when someone no longer has a valid argument they start correcting grammar cause that’s the only way they feel they can get the upper hand. So once someone goes to being a grammar teacher, I know they no longer have valid points in the argument and are just scraping to get the last hand.

Ur welcome and btw it usually is affecting me, one person sees someone do it more and more do it, until it becomes a full on road. Then the USFS comes in and shuts it down and you have idiots like other posters thinking it’s their god given right to be there, and they start ripping down gates, driving around them and not caring. When in all honesty they have no clue as to why the road was even there but just think the USFS is sealing their rights. Much like the guy who was on a closed road and told me he’d been hunting that exact road for 25 years…. When 7 yrs earlier it was a small hiking and horse only trail, then mountain bikes started using it, 5 years before it was a full mtn bike trail, then it became a dirt bike trail and 4 wheeler trail til people starting taking Jeep’s down it and it turned into a highway.

You are 100% right, on everything. Messing with someone's stuff, whether they are in the right or wrong, is never a valid argument. I bet you are also such a hard ass you pull valve stems on people that park in no parking zones or handicapped spots. Look, I'm not trying to validate those people's actions, they are wrong, but so are you for messing with their stuff(if you actually do it and not trying to be an internet bad ass), but two wrongs don't make a right. But I can tell by your prowess for intentionally using shorthand that you know everything and don't mind letting people know that. I'll bow out of the conversation because how dare I question such a tough guy.

I agree with. It has crossed my mind as well, but I don't want to cause a heart attack in someone who can't get back to their vehicle. However I know darn well it happens and at least one guy who has a value steam tool on his pack.
I have a valve stem removal tool in my pack called a knife. but it only works on the 60 cent rubber valve stems....