Reputable finished hound seller?

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking for a finished dog for cat and bear. Any recommendations?

I've only found a few online. How do I know that I'm spending 3-4k on a "good" finished dog and not going to get burned? The season is approaching fast and I don't want to make a mistake trying to be in a hurry.

Coldtrail

WKR
Don't take this as an insult, but are you just getting into hounds? Or adding to an existing pack?

You are looking for the holy grail of hounds, those do it all finished dogs are made and rarely sold. When they are sold, the handler never needs to run an ad if he's got a good reputation because people will line up to get it and be willing to pay for it.

I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment, there is a lot to what you are seeking and the internet is not where the best dogs are bought and sold. All I can say is be cautious and make sure you see that dog run start to finish by itself & get as much documentation as to it's accurate age, I've seen crooked houndsmen trying to pass 10+yr old dogs as 6-7yo "finished" hounds when they are nothing more than semi retired dogs that they made money with guiding and now want them out the door for new blood.

Also, remember that you're buying the dog, not the papers.

ADKHTR

Lil-Rokslider
My advice is still the same, and like I said in your previous thread don’t take any of this the wrong way, it’s great to see new people enter the sport, that’s why we are telling you the truth and not trying to sell you a dog for $3-$4k that won’t run a food dish, if you post this ad on a dog forum you will get hosed no doubt about it, owning, training, and buying hounds is like no other sport, I say none of this to discourage you, but would recommend exactly what I stated in your previous thread linked above, or take that $3-$4k and pay an outfitter to get a cat or bear this season over hounds.

Idk what they tell you know one is selling a finished out dog that doesn't have a defect they don't like. You may be able to live with it. But don't kid yourself that dog is for sale for a reason.
You need to spend the money and go hunt with the dog that is for sale and watch it truck to tree by itself. Not with another dog, not any excuse how it ran down out of the snow but hey you watched most of the race.
From truck to treed critter.
If it take more then one trip to find a good track so be it.
And ask what trait the seller doesn't like until they tell you.

KurtR

WKR
I know nothing about hounds but a finished dog for 3-4k seems awful cheap. A true finished retriever would be 8-10k

kickemall

WKR
I agree with all of the above. I'll add that the ground a bear dog is run in makes a big difference and what caliber the bear is does too. I've seen a lot of dogs that bay good in open timber but put them in thick brush, especially if its steep and they sure get quiet. Same with just a walking bear that doesn't chase them compared to one that is running them every chance it gets. Unless you have hunted with the dog a lot and understand hounds you're probably going to get burned. Try to get someone you have hunted with, is experienced and you trust to try the dog or at least give you a recommendation.

yfarm

WKR
HORSES HOUNDS AND MULES
Live Auction
Started: Aug 6, 2022 at 2 PM MDT
Cow House -Kirtland, NM | 56 Lots

XITwesternproductions.com

over but look at their catalog

Preston

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve had one really good good leopard hound that could tree a lion, a handful of bobcats, and lots of coons, and 2-3 average to not so great hounds, currently training another yearly leopard pup. I honestly would not have taken $50,000 for my best hound, and he still had several faults.

A lot of hounds have some crazy breeding going, mostly from competition breeding or selling a papered name. I would check into a local pound that has a mixed breed, with some terrier, Airedale, herding dog, hound cross and spend time walking out tracks and training it. You might be really surprised.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
I understand where you guys are coming from but I'm coming up on a year of still not finding a way to do what you're talking about and I've been trying. The best I can get from other houndsman I run into is a few pointers. I've talked with people as far as 8 hours away and have been willing to make the drive to learn or tag along. No luck. I don't know what else to do.
You need to spend the money and go hunt with the dog that is for sale and watch it truck to tree by itself. Not with another dog, not any excuse how it ran down out of the snow but hey you watched most of the race.
From truck to treed critter.
This is the guy I've been talking with. He said I'm welcome to come down to UT Saturday and watch it preform. He was honest enough to say it's not completely finished, but definitely will run a fresh track no problem and tree. That's probably why it's only 4k instead of the 5-10k.

My dog is doing great with training. Scent drags are not a problem. But I feel like I'm kind of stuck with her and wasting my time doing the same thing over. I want to get a finished dog that is huntable so she can catch up with it and get bear this season. I need at least one more dog anyway.

Don't take this as an insult, but are you just getting into hounds? Or adding to an existing pack?

I think you might be setting yourself up for disappointment, there is a lot to what you are seeking and the internet is not where the best dogs are bought and sold.
Trying to start a pack with the dog I've already started on scent drags.

So where is the best place? Talking with guys in the Houndsman Association I get "Talk to this guy or that guy" but how is some random guy I don't know that isn't on the internet safer? I got my pup from someone recommended by them and I ended up only being 60% of what they said it was.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
My advice is still the same, and like I said in your previous thread don’t take any of this the wrong way, it’s great to see new people enter the sport, that’s why we are telling you the truth and not trying to sell you a dog for $3-$4k that won’t run a food dish, if you post this ad on a dog forum you will get hosed no doubt about it, owning, training, and buying hounds is like no other sport, I say none of this to discourage you, but would recommend exactly what I stated in your previous thread linked above, or take that $3-$4k and pay an outfitter to get a cat or bear this season over hounds.
Your advice is the best approach for sure. But I can't find one. I joined the association and ask everyone I find out runs dogs that will listen to me. The association seems to have only one event per year which wont be until next spring. I don't know how else to find someone unless one of you guys on here wants to help. I don't mind a drive.

Browsing back on that thread it sounds like I did follow most advice? I stuck with one dog, trained it in basic obedience and scent trailing. She immediately returns to me/the truck when I buzz her on the Garmin even when way the hell out. Now what lol.

Do you have coons in your area?
If so your 1yr should be able to tree a hot track if its has anything.

You could try calling buddy at DU hound supply and see if he has any suggestions.

I think with less then 5 dogs on bears your catch rate will be low.
If you think they are bayed up that is usually a big bear and you better get in there asap and shoot it in the face before it kills a dog.

Id start hunting fresh coon and cat tracks.
Hunt immediately after big storms and only turn out on a track you can identify.

Lions will tree w a single dog, usually on an up hill run.
If that pup can't tree on a 2 hr old track. Well

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
Do you have coons in your area?
If so your 1yr should be able to tree a hot track if its has anything.

You could try calling buddy at DU hound supply and see if he has any suggestions.
Never in my life have I struggled so hard to find a damn raccoon. I’ve been out the last three nights, set my traps all around with no luck, called all the nuisance trappers in the area… no luck. I’m in the truck driving an hour away just to go find a spot that might have a stinky raccoon now.

I know they are here because I caught two in my connibears in the last two years. Just few and far between.

OP,
You're at a bit of a crossroads here, between wisely realizing how much this is going to take or taking a shot in the dark at a shortcut. I just got started four years ago now, and it took three years before we were firing on all cylinders to the point that I'm confident every time we turn out on a bobcat or lion that we have a high chance to catch. That involved one old finished dog, four puppies that were just my best guess, and two middle-of-the-pack reclamation project dogs that turned out to be far sharper than the guys I bought them from thought they might be. Every one of them but the finished dog was far from guaranteed. But time in the field gave them a change to develop, and more importantly taught me what it takes to make dogs.
Everyone wants to have hounds and catch game, nobody wants to commit to the time and resources to make it happen themselves. The truth is that hounds aren't a hobby, they're an entire lifestyle. It's far more work and commitment than any other type of hunting. Part of that work is a lot of trial and error; at this point, that's what you are lacking. There needs to be a willingness to fail, which may include 1. buying a dog that isn't great 2. knowing when to move on from a dog 3. spending the time to figure out what works and what doesn't, and giving the dogs a chance to learn in the field.
Summarily, you need to go snag a couple dogs that are your best guess, and spend the time in the field HUNTING (not training) to learn what to do next. Walk out every track with them so that YOU learn what is going on. Not trying to put you down, but at this stage the weakest link is the houndsmen, and that's you. Your lack of experience and knowledge is holding up the show, not anything a dog is or isn't doing. It's time to pony up, buy some dogs, and go hunt. Three years from now you'll either be selling it all and cutting your losses, or catching game and having a blast. BRTreedogs is right, you'll want 5+ dogs for bear. I'd start on cats first, then build from there to be able to bear hunt in the future.
I do have two finished dogs for sale. One is an exclusive cat hound, but finished and catches bobcats and lion. The other is an average-ish dog that will do both bear and cats.

OP
IDspud

IDspud

Lil-Rokslider
OP,
You're at a bit of a crossroads here, between wisely realizing how much this is going to take or taking a shot in the dark at a shortcut. I just got started four years ago now, and it took three years before we were firing on all cylinders to the point that I'm confident every time we turn out on a bobcat or lion that we have a high chance to catch. That involved one old finished dog, four puppies that were just my best guess, and two middle-of-the-pack reclamation project dogs that turned out to be far sharper than the guys I bought them from thought they might be. Every one of them but the finished dog was far from guaranteed. But time in the field gave them a change to develop, and more importantly taught me what it takes to make dogs.
Everyone wants to have hounds and catch game, nobody wants to commit to the time and resources to make it happen themselves. The truth is that hounds aren't a hobby, they're an entire lifestyle. It's far more work and commitment than any other type of hunting. Part of that work is a lot of trial and error; at this point, that's what you are lacking. There needs to be a willingness to fail, which may include 1. buying a dog that isn't great 2. knowing when to move on from a dog 3. spending the time to figure out what works and what doesn't, and giving the dogs a chance to learn in the field.
Summarily, you need to go snag a couple dogs that are your best guess, and spend the time in the field HUNTING (not training) to learn what to do next. Walk out every track with them so that YOU learn what is going on. Not trying to put you down, but at this stage the weakest link is the houndsmen, and that's you. Your lack of experience and knowledge is holding up the show, not anything a dog is or isn't doing. It's time to pony up, buy some dogs, and go hunt. Three years from now you'll either be selling it all and cutting your losses, or catching game and having a blast. BRTreedogs is right, you'll want 5+ dogs for bear. I'd start on cats first, then build from there to be able to bear hunt in the future.
I do have two finished dogs for sale. One is an exclusive cat hound, but finished and catches bobcats and lion. The other is an average-ish dog that will do both bear and cats.
Thanks for the reply. I realize I am throwing crap at the wall to see what sticks. I feel like I met a stalemate since I can’t find anyone to show me, and just keep repeating the same thing.

What are you asking for the dog? I don’t mind failing at all. I just want to make sure I maximize my chances at success which is why I figured I should find a good finished or near finished dog.

Take this with a grain of salt, I'm a Pointer guy, not a houndsman.

Sounds like he has the training he needs. Hunt him.

Even if he doesn't tree anything he'll be leaning.

Birds make bird dogs, and running tracks makes hounds, but there's no replacement for cutting a dog loose and hunting.