Required Orange needed for photos?

fatlander

WKR
Is blaze orange somehow less tasteful than the designer camo you have to replace it with? Are your hipster buddies going to laugh at you while drinking sour craft beers for not donning optifade for the hero shot?

The blaze orange is to keep you safe in the field while firearms are being used. You’re arguably more at risk when in direct proximity to the animal everyone else is trying to kill. The law serves to protect yourself as well as others in the field. People shouldn’t be trigger happy, but that blaze orange very well may save your life and prevent ruining the guy’s that pulled the trigger. Just like a seatbelt. If you don’t want to wear a seatbelt that’s your prerogative, until someone’s simple mistake in a fender bender could lead to you dead and them locked up for man slaughter.

Imagine you’re turning the buck or bulls head for hero shots. Your new Kuiu vias is doing exactly what it’s designed to do, hide from the human eye. Now some other bro across of the canyon sees the gnarly rack of the fire bulls off spring raking a tree. He wants a shout out on hush’s instastory so bad that he sends one about where the boiler room should be. He knows his gunwerks custom 6.5 PRC can poke through a little brush and he can shoot a gnats ass offhand at 600 yards.

The blaze orange hat/vest may not have made a difference, but it damn sure couldn’t have hurt.

YMMV. I couldn’t imagine not coming home to my family because blaze orange isn’t cool. . .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Wyoming, once again, has the most reasonable law. Orange hat. That’s it. It can be pink now too! Our warden is super cool. Enforces then laws properly. And when it’s a grey area, tie goes to the hunter.

To me that’s a good warden. Bust the poachers and clear violations. Let the rest hunt in peace.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
Okay, you guys are not going to believe this, but it is 100% true; here in Commifornia, orange is NOT required.
Ya, only in CA can you "choose" on your own whether to wear orange while hunting or not.......but then also in the same regs takes away your RIGHT to keep and bear arms while bowhunting. SMH

Squamch

WKR
Is blaze orange somehow less tasteful than the designer camo you have to replace it with? Are your hipster buddies going to laugh at you while drinking sour craft beers for not donning optifade for the hero shot?

The blaze orange is to keep you safe in the field while firearms are being used. You’re arguably more at risk when in direct proximity to the animal everyone else is trying to kill. The law serves to protect yourself as well as others in the field. People shouldn’t be trigger happy, but that blaze orange very well may save your life and prevent ruining the guy’s that pulled the trigger. Just like a seatbelt. If you don’t want to wear a seatbelt that’s your prerogative, until someone’s simple mistake in a fender bender could lead to you dead and them locked up for man slaughter.

Imagine you’re turning the buck or bulls head for hero shots. Your new Kuiu vias is doing exactly what it’s designed to do, hide from the human eye. Now some other bro across of the canyon sees the gnarly rack of the fire bulls off spring raking a tree. He wants a shout out on hush’s instastory so bad that he sends one about where the boiler room should be. He knows his gunwerks custom 6.5 PRC can poke through a little brush and he can shoot a gnats ass offhand at 600 yards.

The blaze orange hat/vest may not have made a difference, but it damn sure couldn’t have hurt.

YMMV. I couldn’t imagine not coming home to my family because blaze orange isn’t cool. . .

I can't even touch my toes, I dream of the day I could really stretch like this!

Ya, only in CA can you "choose" on your own whether to wear orange while hunting or not.......but then also in the same regs takes away your RIGHT to keep and bear arms while bowhunting. SMH
We do not refer to Commifornia as Commifornia for nothing.

fatlander

WKR
I can't even touch my toes, I dream of the day I could really stretch like this!

100% furthest I’ve stretched in a long time. But, the upside of taking off orange for a picture doesn’t come close outweighing the possible downside.

People get shot every year crawling around behind turkey decoys.

WCB

WKR
While I don’t see hunters orange regs being repealed and actually having to wear it is little more than an annoyance sometimes (like when you put your puffy on or need to pull your rain shell over your head), the fact that these regs still exists in 2020 is just stupid. I was helping a buddy fill a bear tag back in sept. We hiked for miles and miles, saw all kinds of people: archery hunters, day hikers, backpackers, scouters, Mtn bikers etc. how in the hell can it possibly make any reasonable sense to any reasonable person that the only person in the woods required to wear orange is my buddy who is toting a rifle? It’s ******* stupid. Again, a little more than annoyance, but it is stupid that it is required.
Try hunting in states like MN on pubic land...If a guy argues against it here you are a moron. If they did overturn it I would still wear it while deer hunting. Shit in states like WY when deer hunting I wear a vest and a hat even though it is not required. Lets guys know where I am and hopefully they wont come walking in on my hunt. I have seen it work multiple times and talked to guys that said they saw me "back there" and decided to hunt somewhere else.

Spoonbill

WKR
I’ve heard stories of people getting written up by wardens for not wearing required orange in their trophy pics.

I also see many pics taken this way.

Can a ticket be issued ‘After the Fact’ for this?
I had read about something similar happening with ducks. Guys had their birds lined up on the tailgate for a picture and were cited for not seperating their limits. To me its not worth the risk because if a game warden cites you (even if he is in the wrong) then you have to go to court to prove your innocence.

yah there is no way a warden can write a hunter orange ticket based on a picture. sometimes the stories that start to get made up by people who get tickets get a little crazy.. and absurd. It is pretty funny sometimes what you hear people say when the reality is far from their narrative. in fact i remember someone actually making that claim before...saying they got a ticket based on their photos. when i talked to the officer (who i knew well) the real story was they had watched them hunt for some time, watched them kill the animal, from a great distance, by the time they got there the guys were taking photos. so the officer used the photos as evidence, because why wouldn't you, but the photo was hardly what caused them to write the citation. of course when the hunters told the story they were saying the pics were all the warden had. I honestly think those guys told that story so many times they actually started to believe it.

Last edited:

Brock A

Super Moderator
Staff member

Creedmoor, not a PRC....

hobbes

WKR
Unless IL has changed since I moved, the law stated that you had to wear blaze orange if you were in the field during gun season. There was something about duck hunters being allowed to remove the orange once in the blind or something like that. You didn't have to be hunting.

I had friends that were shooting clay pigeons in a wide open fescue field 50 yards from their house on the afternoon of opening day. The closest woods were probably a 1/4 mile and center-fire rifles aren't legal in gun season in IL. The GW pulled in and gave them all a warning for not having orange on "while in the field". He must have been bored.

Edit:. I just looked up IL regs and they've either changed the language in the last 14 years (no surprise) or the GW misquoted it back then.

Last edited:

HoneyDew

WKR
Try hunting in states like MN on pubic land...If a guy argues against it here you are a moron. If they did overturn it I would still wear it while deer hunting. Shit in states like WY when deer hunting I wear a vest and a hat even though it is not required. Lets guys know where I am and hopefully they wont come walking in on my hunt. I have seen it work multiple times and talked to guys that said they saw me "back there" and decided to hunt somewhere else.
Same. I wear a blaze hat and vest. My head is the first and last thing they see coming/going/standing over that hill/brush/tree and I don’t want them shooting it. I also want them to know someone’s hunting here and if they’re decent guys they’ll go find their own spot. I’ve seen a guy on the other side of the brush shoot a pheasant that another guy was holding by the neck and walk along the road with. Because he thought the pheasant was running along the road... Both had blaze on. People are STUPID.

Okay, you guys are not going to believe this, but it is 100% true; here in Commifornia, orange is NOT required.

People forget CA wasn’t this far left even in the 90s! It was a swing state. We had a republican governor for most of the 80s and 90s. It’s not shocking that CA hunting regs would reflect that.

Of course the state has done everything it can to set seasons and zones to prevent hunters from finding animals :). So no need for orange when nobody is shooting!

100% True story.

I had a warden try and fine me for going in an hour after dark with my tractor to get a buck out of the woods lol I was loading the deer up with the tractor and he came up right behind me. Actually he scared the crap out of me. It was 8:00 at night and I was on my own land. He was wearing a pair of slippers and had ran 500 yards across my field to investigate the lights he had seen" The idiot came springing out from behind a tree about 10 feet away from me.

The deer was shot 100% legally on my own land. It was tagged. It was the most legit hunt anyone has ever done.

I told him to meet me at my house across the field if he needed to talk further. When I got to my house he was waiting on me.

I asked him if he had one brain cell of common sense. He then went ahead and wrote me a written warning and I wrinkled it up and they it in the trash can right in front of him. I can tell you for free that he didn't like that. He said " You know what, I think I am going to go ahead and write you a citation".

I laughed in his face and told him that if he wrote me a ticket I would take out an add in the local paper bashing him and the agency for harassing me on my own property, and I would see him in court.

Him and his "Deputy" got in their truck and drove off all pissed off....

Keep in mind this is the same warden I had called 5 times trying to get him to come out to my place to try and catch the people jacklighting deer in my field for the last month.

Then they wonder why they get a bad rap. The only thing he got from me was wet feet and soaked slipper from crossing the ditch in the field. lol

You had called him five times in the previous month to report people "jacklighting" and then when you are driving out in your field after dark (with lights on your tractor I assume) you get your panties in a wad because he responds quickly - he did not even change into shoes.

I am wondering who it is that has the "one brain cell of common sense" here.

ClearCreek

On South Carolina public lands (including all USFS land):

50-11-365 – All users except hunters for dove, ducks, geese, and other migratory birds including crows must wear a hat, coat, or vest of solid international orange during any deer hunting season.

This includes hikers, bikers, climbers, old ladies walking dogs. I tell every non hunter I meet about it but it is not enforced.

In VA you can be citied for not having orange on in a field picture if it's a season that requires. Only happens if they are certain you are in violation of something else and they can't make that stick, such as the deer was poached.