Reserve, New Mexico

douglasfir

Lil-Rokslider
There may be a job opportunity on the horizon for me in the remote town of Reserve, New Mexico. I have spent lots of time in NM and northeastern Arizona, but I’ve never been to Reserve or to the Gila National Forest area.

For those of you who’ve been there, what’s it like? I know it’s not high alpine country like what you find in northern NM. Is the whole area super dry and desert-ish? Is there any trout fishing within an hour-ish? Any other comments about the area?

Reserve is a special place. It’s mountains yet desert close by. It’s elk central for NM. Some of the best units are in that part of the state. There is fishing but never have. I work with a guy that backpacks in to the wilderness and fishes. As far as dry I’m not sure how it is most of the year but seems like every time I’m there during hunting season it rains all day lol.

AZmark

WKR
Hey douglasfir.....I live 25 miles west of Reserve across the AZ state line. and get down there on occasion. Have a good friend that lives there. I hunt in NM unit 23 or 15 whenever I can get a non.resident tag....my son and I got a mule deer tags for 23 this year in the early Nov hunt.

It's not desert area, mostly pines and cedars, dry climate, very rural without a lot of stores or services. Nearest supermarket of any size is 60 miles away in Springerville AZ, same for hospital. Silver City would be the closest larger city to it in NM. Only about 2.5 hrs from Albuquerque.

Its beautiful country.

What else you want to know...PM me.

What kind of work are you looking at there?

Kevin_t

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I've spent a few days in Reserve. It's sort of my kind of getaway place. Very isolated .. . When it's an old style gas pump ... you dont see that very often.

dtrkyman

WKR
Beautiful part of the country, very rural as stated, some areas of New Mexico have issues with petty crime, braking into cars and what not, not sure about Reserve in that regard.

The Gila is an amazing place, if you like to be in the mountains you may love it, just not a lot going on in the general area other than that. There are Gila trout out that way, not sure how close to Reserve, should be right there in the Tribs. of the San Francisco.

BBob

WKR
The Gila is a great place to be, elk central! I stop in Reserve every trip for fuel, burritos and ice cream going on 30 years or so. Antelope, Coues deer, mule deer, and sheep are all within a short reach of Reserve as well. A little futher out and you can be in the Florida's looking at ibex or not much further looking for barbary sheep. I don't know if they exist much anymore but Bayard used to have a ton of feral hogs to chase. You can go from desert to pines in a couple of hours or so. It's in the heart of Catron County which is pretty conservative (to say the least) so if you like ranchers and like to hunt you'll get along fine. There are close fishing opportunities in both NM and AZ.

Last edited:

Wagon77

FNG
I’m from silver city, reserve was basically my second home when my cousin worked for the forest service there! Talk about some vast country! You can disappear quick there! I love it

Loco4dux

WKR
The gila is beautiful. Yea I t’s dry. Reserve? Mm kind of a shithole IMO. I don’t understand why a lot of those folks treat the gorgeous landscape like a dumpster. Been other places in New Mexico and felt the same way about the people and the trashing of the land.

Wagon77

FNG
The gila is beautiful. Yea I t’s dry. Reserve? Mm kind of a shithole IMO. I don’t understand why a lot of those folks treat the gorgeous landscape like a dumpster. Been other places in New Mexico and felt the same way about the people and the trashing of the land.
It’s usually not the locals. As in the people born and raised there! It’s the idiots moving in. And reserve is a beautiful ranching community, with old school families living there! It’s not for everyone! But it’s a town I love! No stop lights, plenty of hunting, and more country than you could cover in a lifetime!

It’s usually not the locals. As in the people born and raised there! It’s the idiots moving in. And reserve is a beautiful ranching community, with old school families living there! It’s not for everyone! But it’s a town I love! No stop lights, plenty of hunting, and more country than you could cover in a lifetime!
I’ll second this. Everyone I’ve ever met in reserve have been friendly.

Loco4dux

WKR
I’d have to disagree strongly on that one. I hunted with David Silva last year, born and raised in reserve, prominent father from reserve, sure you know him or of him if you know reserve. Personally observed him on the entire hunt throw his trash on the ground, and even instruct me to throw mine on the ground as well. Disgusting.

Wagon77

FNG
I’d have to disagree strongly on that one. I hunted with David Silva last year, born and raised in reserve, prominent father from reserve, sure you know him or of him if you know reserve. Personally observed him on the entire hunt throw his trash on the ground, and even instruct me to throw mine on the ground as well. Disgusting.
Wow! I know David well! I’m very surprised by that! And rather disgusted! Considering he’s from there I never expected that at all!!

Jared06

FNG
I remember my first visit to Reserve, pulling through town at like midnight and having cow elk walking right down main street. Saw a meaning in the name lol