RESERVING CENTER ON STRING

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Bought the Beiter heavy jig to do center serve on my V3 but it doesn't work w cable gaurd in way. How do guys that can't do on bow do it? Remove cable guard or but string on some kind of jig, Last Chance Archery makes a jig to put yours strings on to reserve but it 300 some dollars. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

Holocene

WKR
This is a great question. I have re-served center serving somewhat often over the past two years due to wear or, more commonly, to get the exact nock fit I need for a particular setup.

The best way to do this is under tension of 300-400# on a specialized jig. Luckily, one of my local pro shops is set up to reserve in this way so I pay them $25 and get it done. Stunningly good work. They use 62xs only, so if you need a custom serving that's an opportunity to use your own jig.

There are videos out there on how to use a Beiter, and Levi has a video on how to reserve by hand. I've tried Levi's method with less than optimal results.

If you do use a reserving tool, then yes you'll want to stretch string to 300-400# tension with a jig. Some guys make their own. You can buy LCA's, but they are very proud of it.

For the money, getting a good shop to do this work is hard to beat.

I've also had string companies reserve, but then you have to pay for shipping and wait and that's very annoying.

I'm interested in everyone's input. I just re-served the center serving on my V3. Did it with the string on the bow with Levi's method.

Even taking my time and making sure the serving was tight. I still had a slight serving slip causing nock pinch between my nock sets.

There's not much for quality shops in my area. So I'm learning to do things my self.

I have always done it on the bow, haven't had much issue I can recall.

Someone makes a c shaped spacer device, can't remember the name right now.

OR Archer

WKR
I have always done it on the bow, haven't had much issue I can recall.

Someone makes a c shaped spacer device, can't remember the name right now.
Bohning makes it. Works ok.

You could easily make a serving “jig”. All you need are 2 hooks, a ratchet strap, and a caribiner. Just mount the two hooks opposite each other in something sturdy. Hook the end loop of your string to one side. Hook the ratchet strap to the other. Attach the ratchet strap to the string with the carabiner and stretch it tight. Serve away. Doesn’t have to be served at max tension to still get good results.

I’ve used my draw board in the past to do a few. I used paracord on each end and laid propane bottles under the ends to get it up off the board. It wasn’t pretty, but worked fine.

Hoot

WKR
I have a specialty archery pro press/pro draw, they make a jig that goes on your press so you can do it in the draw board. A lot of money to spend if you already have a different press/draw board, etc. but for those out there looking, IMO its the best press/draw board combo out there...

Foggy Mountain

Lil-Rokslider
Depending on what serving tool you’re using it can hit the cable guard, especially with its downward angle.
Yea but you can normally work around it. I’ve never had an issue. Guess I’m wondering if that one is extra difficult

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve never had issues serving around a cable guard. What’s so dif about a v3?
Look at a pic of a V3. IM sure it can be done with certain jigs, w the Beiter u have to pull string to make it fit, it's just not the way to do it.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
Yea but you can normally work around it. I’ve never had an issue. Guess I’m wondering if that one is extra difficult
Yea w the Beiter heavy jig it has big nuts lol on it to swing it easier and w the position of cable gaurd on V3 it won't clear it.

Zac

WKR
I bought the string tensioner thing from Last Chance. No idea how it'll work yet but I'll post a review on it when I try it out. It looks pretty bomb proof.

OP
Paridgerunner

Paridgerunner

Lil-Rokslider
I bought the string tensioner thing from Last Chance. No idea how it'll work yet but I'll post a review on it when I try it out. It looks pretty bomb proof.
That's where I'm headed also. Mounts in press and think u twist handle to expand it putting tension on string. String goes around rollers held in either side w a pin I presume.

Reactions: Zac
I end up just pulling up the string a bit while I redo my serving to make enough space between my beiter serving jig and cable guards. Works well enough but certainly not optimal.

Edit: I would like to add that I take my peep out before doing my serving. The reason for this is that I put my center serve on so tight that it is almost impossible not to have the string twist a little tighter above the serving. I found doing this I don’t have serving separation issues but it does take a night or two of shooting for that extra tension above my serving that causes that little extra twist to spread back out through the string quickly. I really don’t know if that is the best/easiest way but I do know I don’t deal with peep twist and my serving lasts the life the string at that point with minimal separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: Zac

Zac

WKR
I end up just pulling up the string a bit while I redo my serving to make enough space between my beiter serving jig and cable guards. Works well enough but certainly not optimal.

Edit: I would like to add that I take my peep out before doing my serving. The reason for this is that I put my center serve on so tight that it is almost impossible not to have the string twist a little tighter above the serving. I found doing this I don’t have serving separation issues but it does take a night or two of shooting for that extra tension above my serving that causes that little extra twist to spread back out through the string quickly. I really don’t know if that is the best/easiest way but I do know I don’t deal with peep twist and my serving lasts the life the string at that point with minimal separation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I like to hold my peep in my middle finger when I pull up on the string. If I'm wrapping serving clockwise then I will rotate the peep slightly counter clockwise simultaneously.

Gumbo

WKR
You can do it on the bow, by hand or serving jig, but it ain't gonna be tight enough unless you increase the tension on the string as previously stated. In the off chance that you can wrap the serving SUPER tight with the string on the bow, you will likely cause the string to rotate while wrapping, which isn't good for peep stability. Also, you will have to use smaller diameter serving than normal because the string is a larger diameter when it isn't under tension and the serving won't be stretched as tight either, making the served area a larger diameter than it was when properly served under tension. Anyway, good luck, serving on the bow works in a pinch if you have the room to do it, but it isn't ideal.

Some bows, usually those with a higher brace height, are easier to serve on the bow because there is simply more room to spin the jig, but the problems stated above are still applicable.