Resident bucks

I am looking at scouting some low winter range country for bucks this summer. About 75 percent of the herd is migratory but I think some of this lower country could have some big deer that aren't being hunted hard especially because it's still very remote. I am mostly curious where you start looking? It is a major ridge system with huge bitterbrush south facing slopes and dark timber north faces. Do the bucks prefer one over the other? Thanks!

OP
H
I am looking at scouting some low winter range country for bucks this summer. About 75 percent of the herd is migratory but I think some of this lower country could have some big deer that aren't being hunted hard especially because it's still very remote. I am mostly curious where you start looking? It is a major ridge system with huge bitterbrush south facing slopes and dark timber north faces. Do the bucks prefer one over the other? Thanks!
Also i should add that there are relatively few water sources so i plan on really glassing the 4-5 canyons off the main Ridgeline that hold water of some kind.

I’d get out there starting in June once the migratory herd leaves. I’ve found resident bucks in all of that stuff your describe. Some bucks will get big by being timber dwellers so some trail cams if legal on game trails or water might help there. Otherwise I’d spend a bunch of mornings glassing before work if you can swing it. They’re much easier to find in June and July usually. Pay attention to the low little draws/arroyos and stuff like that too. Hard to predict exactly where they will be but it’s a fun way to hunt if you have the patience.

Laramie

WKR
The above is good advice. Keep in mind mule deer bucks are nomadic by nature. In low country a "resident" buck might have a home range several square miles in size.