Residents of FL, NY, RI and Quebec Ineligible for Huntin' Fools Hunts

I was reading over the Official Rules of Huntin' Fools' Sheep Camp sweepstakes where they are offering 13 different sheep hunts.

Only when clicking on the "Official Rules" link at the bottom of that page, and then reading the page that loads do I see that "Entrants from Florida, New York, Rhode Island and Quebec are ineligible." https://sheepcamp.net/sheep-camp-rules/

Does anyone know why that is the case?

Are we also ineligible for winning WSF raffles, and any other hunt raffle?

If so, I have wasted a whole lot of money on buying tickets over the years, and I also have to ask, if that is case, why Huntin' Fool, or anyone else running these raffles wouldn't make that more apparent on the front end? How many other people from Florida, NY, etc. is Huntin' Fool letting buy memberships (with the constant promises of chances to win hunts) and tickets for these raffle drives, knowing damn well they can't win and are just taking their money....

This post may come off like I am whining....maybe I am just a little. But I really do want to know why I am ineligible, and also if this is just a Huntin' Fool thing where they are not willing to do whatever they have to satisfy some requirements with FL, RI, NY, and Quebec, or if it is with any raffle for any hunting trip? Hoping some folks on here may know about this than I do.....

adamkolesar

Lil-Rokslider
Wow! Thanks so much for spotting the following passage in a sea of small print.

"Prize(s), Eligibility, and Limitations: U.S. laws shall govern this sweepstakes. Sweepstakes offered and open to legal residents of the United States (U.S.) and Canada only and are void where prohibited. Entrants from Florida, New York, Rhode Island and Quebec are ineligible. All other Canadian residents must perform the math problem upon check out. Entrants from Washington can mail a cashiers check/money order to the address in these rules for entry. Entrants from other countries need to contact Sponsor prior to entry"

One would hope there would be a pop up advising the hopeful entrant at check out.
Like many, would love to know HF's rationale here.

Quebec has weird laws surrounding prize winning. Look it up to get a more precise answer, but basically the organization holding the contest has to jump through a bunch of hoops to make it legal in Quebec, so most organizations would just rather exempt them from the contest.

FlareBlitz91

Lil-Rokslider
“Each state has its own rules governing sweepstakes, occasionally making it more difficult for a sponsor to offer a promotion in a particular state. Florida, New York and Rhode Island often are excluded because they have more restrictive laws governing prizes of high value. Although not legally restrictive, Alaska,Hawaii, the U.S. Virgin Islands and Canada are often omitted due to higher shipping costs for distributing prizes. Some other common restrictions include California, Tennessee and Utah for alcohol-related sweepstakes; Massachusetts, Michigan and Virginia for tobacco-related sweeps; while Quebec has particularly stringent laws about sweepstakes.”