Resizing Die Getting Stuck

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I am having an issue with my resizing die getting stuck in my case when I have it about halfway out after it pops the primer out. I’m using Hornaday dies for .243, 6.5, and 300 WM. My .243 sticks a little, my 6.5 is smooth, and the 300 die sticks so bad I have to really pull on it (feels about like breaking lugs loose on a tire). If I don’t pop the primer the die slips out just fine, but as soon as I put the slightest pressure on the primer it will be “stuck” about halfway out.
Any ideas what could the solution be?
The 243 is Remington core lokt brass, 6.5 is hornaday brass, and the 300 is federal fusion brass. All of it once fired. I’m using One Shot for lube. Hope this is enough info. Thanks for any help!

I could have been a little more help. Some things that make a die sticky:
Dirty, especially with built up lube. Not enough lube on the case. A little lube is necessary inside the case mouth so the button doesn’t drag. I have seen bent decapping stem hang in the primer pocket.

It sure sounds like your issue is with the button dragging inside the case mouth. I have used a little lube on a q-tip (Hornady One Shot, RCBS Case Lube, Imperial Wax or graphite...any of them work) and it generally cures the ill.

imperial die wax makes a neck lube..read and follow lube instructions,most need to set a few minutes before use. clean brass, clean dies, proper lube should just about cover it

rayporter

WKR
if the lube don't cure this try changing the 30 cal expander with the 6.5 expander.

this is just to see if you can remove primers and pull the case out of the die. you will have to expand later.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I pulled them apart and got the factory oil off but maybe I should go through again a bit more thorough?
I will try cleaning the brass up some more in the neck and try getting more lube in the neck and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!

tdhanses

WKR
I pulled them apart and got the factory oil off but maybe I should go through again a bit more thorough?
I will try cleaning the brass up some more in the neck and try getting more lube in the neck and see if that helps. Thanks for the advice!

Use some carb cleaner on them, then make sure the cases are lubed.

ramont

Lil-Rokslider
You need to lube the case mouth more than just a little bit. If you are using a spray lube then spray it directly down in to the mouth, if you are using a lubricant cream then apply it to the inside of the case mouth with a Q TIp.

I had a similar problem - sticky dies and only on certain calibers. I cleaned the inside of my dies and that helped a little. I fixed the problem when I switched lubes from one shot to lee resizing lubricant. Look up reviews on one shot and you will see that this is a common problem. Now I actually use one or the other for different calibers or a mix of both sometimes. Like others said make sure you lube the inside lip of the neck also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Evergreen

WKR
So I just started reloading 2 days ago and was having the same issue. I cleaned the dies before use as per the instructions, however I did not see or it wasnt there not sure which. I started reading the instructions on my can of one shot and in those instructions it said after cleaning dies to spray some one shot inside. A couple of rounds later it was smooth as butter! Hope that helps!!

BuckSnort

WKR
Try a lube pad or Imperial wax,,,,

I loaded thousands of cartridges on the original lube pad my rockchucker kit came with without problem, then several years ago when One Shot came out I had to try it AAAnnd got my first stuck case.. I learned that there was a bad batch of it and I had some of the bad stuff.. Anyway I haven't tried it since and still use the same lube pad when I'm loading single stage..

I do use spray lube Lanolin/Alcohol when I'm loading progressive on the Dillon..

If you "pulled them apart" it is not what I was first thinking - how many times has the brass been loaded and was it first fired in a machine gun ? I had a big batch of 300 WSM "once fired" brass I bought on GB that would not size to save my soul, to this day I don't know what the deal was but every piece of brass I can track the history of has worked just fine - I NEVER would have guessed anything amiss with 300 WSM but "something" was, maybe fired in a BAR or ?

just reread the initial post - the 300 WSM brass I'm talking of was FEDERAL also
Also, anytime I've ever encountered a stuck case coming out like "breaking a lug nut loose" was a STUCK CASE that required a "stuck case remover"

I have waaay more friction with one shot. Unfortunately/fortunately the old standby of a lube pad and rcbs lube still works fine. Of course i have a few cans to work through. Definitely wont buy more.

OP
stank.243

stank.243

Lil-Rokslider
I guess I forgot to post my results. Whoops!
I ended up cleaning the dies again. I just used an old t shirt, but a little more elbow grease. I think the real trick was applying a bit more One Shot than I had been using and letting them sit and dry longer. I waited about 3 minutes from the last spray until I start resizing. I haven't had any troubles since using this method.
Thanks for the help guys!

I had inconsistent results with one shot, until I started shaking it better......like for a full minute.

pullit

FNG
When using one shot, I have found that if I didn't let it "flash off" in other words dry, it would stick a case in the die.
I use Imperial wax or homemade case lubes. The homemade lube is the one that uses "heat" gas treatment and lanolin

Sawfish

Lil-Rokslider
Shake the can well, and let all of the carrier evaporate from the cases. Trying to resize cases too soon after lubricating is a chief cause of stuck cases. Spread clean cases on newsprint. Spray generously with lube, and let dry 10-15 minutes before resizing.

excaliber

WKR
When I first started reloading I had so many stuck cases with the Hornady 300 Win Mag FL sizing die. I bought a Redding set and have not had one stuck case since. I'd use a decaping die for primer extraction. I use a Lee universal decaping die for removing spent primers.

I use universal lube and it works great for me.