Resolved: Novix Helo Seat Bolt Stripped

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Resolved:
Well for anyone who cares, I think I’ve got a solution that will work. Instead of going through the hassle of boreing out the old hole and installing a threaded insert, I just got a bolt that fits the hole without being too big to catch the threads, and then used a couple washers to hold it in place. I honestly like this better than how the seat adjustment bolt comes. It also spreads the weight out and puts more stress on the nuts as opposed to all of the weight on just the threads. Thanks to everyone who offered help!

Not sure what to do about this. I just got set up in the tree for the evening and when I went to adjust the seat bolt to level the seat itself, I noticed that the threads weren’t catching and I could push the bolt back and forth without the threads doing much of anything.

I weigh about 250lbs, so the only thing I can think of is that my weight has slowly been wearing that bolt down until it just couldn’t support itself anymore. I’m planning to contact novix obviously, but I’m wondering if anyone has ever had anything like this happen before.

I’m assuming replacing the bolt probably won’t do anything since the the threads inside the seat bracket are probably damaged too. Any help would be appreciated. IMG_3912.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 607719

Last edited:

Honyock

WKR
This may not work but it's what I would try. Put a bolt (threaded all the way) through it with two nuts on it, with one on each side of the crosspiece. Get it adjusted for height and then tighten down both nuts against the cross piece.

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
This may not work but it's what I would try. Put a bolt (threaded all the way) through it with two nuts on it, with one on each side of the crosspiece. Get it adjusted for height and then tighten down both nuts against the cross piece.

Never even thought of that. I might get a new bolt and just give it a shot. Thanks for the idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I assume that seat frame is aluminum? Needs to be drilled, tapped and a Heli-Coil insert added.

Cast aluminum yeah. I’ve never done that before, but I’m sure I could figure it out with some research

Sizthediz

WKR
Cut off bolt , when you replace bolt get a couple metal different size spacers that fit that bolt (home depot or lowes) . That way the weight will be distributed a little different. I am not an engineer unless you count the one I have obtained from redneck university

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
Cut off bolt , when you replace bolt get a couple metal different size spacers that fit that bolt (home depot or lowes) . That way the weight will be distributed a little different. I am not an engineer unless you count the one I have obtained from redneck university

Is this kind of what you’re talking about? Or maybe this but a little shorter, and then have one on either side of the bolt?

Sizthediz

WKR
Is this kind of what you’re talking about? Or maybe this but a little shorter, and then have one on either side of the bolt?

I would try both ways to see what works best. You know what metal spacers I am referring to? I don't think they are that expensive

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
I would try both ways to see what works best. You know what metal spacers I am referring to? I don't think they are that expensive

Sorry I meant to attach a picture to that last response. Kind of like this? IMG_3921.png

Sizthediz

WKR
They also make plastic/polymer type ones that might work too. That's the nice thing about redneck engineering....somethings got to work

OP
cofen380

cofen380

Lil-Rokslider
They also make plastic/polymer type ones that might work too. That's the nice thing about redneck engineering....somethings got to work

Love it, I also thought about adding a nut on either side of the bolt and hand tightening them to add a little strength. That way the weight is not all on the threads of the bolt and nothing else