Rest and recovery.....

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
Yoga classes are free at my gym for members...I guess I should start going.
If you've never done yoga, then you're in for a surprise. My wife got certified a few years back as an instructor so she had me going over it all with her as she was learning. For me it was hard to get into because it didnt really feel like anything was happening, but a few weeks into it I noticed some big changes.

When you start out with the easy poses it seems almost like a joke. I went to the harder stuff right away and quickly became frustrated because I couldn't do them. Back to the easy poses I went. There is a reason it's structured the way it is.

It really builds core, flexibility and therefore stability. The poses that I couldn't balance out for more than 5 seconds, which is extremely frustrating by the way, turned into poses I could do with my eyes closed for however long I want. It doesn't seem like a big deal but if you do it you'll know what I mean.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

IN_Varmntr

Lil-Rokslider
8-10 HOURS OF SLEEP?? In one night?? I'm doomed!
Yeah me too. I work a swing shift so half of my life is working 12 hour days while the other half is 12 hour nights. Sometimes I sleep for 5 hours, sometimes I sleep into the teens of hours. Same goes for waking hours. It's not uncommon to me to be awake for 24-26 hours at a time.

brsnow

WKR
If you are training intensely you need rest but more importantly sleep. I just finished my first marathon (47yrs) and it was stressed through the process that injury and regression are a product of overtraining and lack of sleep. Like most I learned the hard way, but didn’t make the mistake twice. It made a huge difference and allowed me to continue and succeed.

gpatterson

Lil-Rokslider
Rest and nutrition are the two biggest factors to good recovery. 1/24th of your day is a workout 23/24 is nutrition and recovery that’s where the magic happens.

crmiller84

Lil-Rokslider
If you've never done yoga, then you're in for a surprise. My wife got certified a few years back as an instructor so she had me going over it all with her as she was learning. For me it was hard to get into because it didnt really feel like anything was happening, but a few weeks into it I noticed some big changes.

When you start out with the easy poses it seems almost like a joke. I went to the harder stuff right away and quickly became frustrated because I couldn't do them. Back to the easy poses I went. There is a reason it's structured the way it is.

It really builds core, flexibility and therefore stability. The poses that I couldn't balance out for more than 5 seconds, which is extremely frustrating by the way, turned into poses I could do with my eyes closed for however long I want. It doesn't seem like a big deal but if you do it you'll know what I mean.

This. Yoga and stretching are what I use for my rest days.

35 yrs old, training for ultra running/hunting/general health. 195lbs, 6'1

I injured my IT band last month in an ultra fairly badly. Couldn't walk the next day, couldn't run for three weeks without sharp stabbing pains in the side of my knee. I went to an ART therapy session that my workplace puts on once a month and talked to the practitioner. He gave me some stretches to work on, most of which I remembered from messing with yoga a couple years back, so I decided to throw that in for my rest and recovery days. Made all the difference in the world! Pain has subsided far more quickly and has lessened to the point that my long runs are pleasurable (12-15 miles so far in the training).

Currently doing yoga and stretching on Monday's and Friday's, easy middle (7-10 mile) and short (5-6 mile) distance runs on Tues/Wed/Sun, middle distance with intervals/sprints/hills on Thursdays, and a long run on Saturday. I do push ups and pull ups 3-4 days a week, just for a little balance.

fiskeri1

Lil-Rokslider

I've not had a rest day since April 10th.

This is a nice summary of what I'm embodying:

I was already down this path before I saw this so the video was a nice affirmation of what I was doing.

I have a desk job (engineer) and typically sleep 7-9 hours a day.

My diet is dialed, I drink whisk(e)y regularly but in very small amounts.

For this to work you need to find things that you enjoy doing and it's nice to see others here comment positively on yoga. Before the age of 44 I'd never done an inversion in my life and now I'm a head-standing, arm-balancing fool. I'm certified but don't currently teach; part of that is it's tough to find time when I'm typically taking 5-7 classes a week (Corepower C2). Anyone with the preconception that yoga is just organized stretching (as I did) will be in for an awakening if they take a vinyasa-style class. There is also enormous benefit for activities such as spot and stalk archery hunting (and the practice of archery itself).

I also lift twice a week, typically with a brief run at the end (if I still am in "flow" as Firas describes in the video). When the weather is decent I'll do pack cardio once or twice a week.

In a previous life I raced mountain bikes, emphasis on longer 50-100 mile races.