Rest for Defiant

So my dad got a Pro Defiant Turbo last year and decided this year to try something different. He gave me the Defiant and it has a Hoyt drop away on it which I think is a QAD. It’s attached to the cable but I would rather attach a rest to the limb.

Looking for input if there is a certain rest that works best on this bow attached to the limb? The position of the limb dampener and geometry of the riser make it look like a limb driven rest may not be the best option.

Boreal

WKR
No reason to change out that QAD HDX. Best, most reliable hunting rest I've ever used. But if you want to trade it out, asking here will get you lots of opinions, probably 12 opinions for every 10 responses. I've got a limb-driven rest for my outdoor target bow. I use a Limb Driver Micro Elite and like it. Easy to set up and reliable. Good luck and have fun with the new bow!

Chad.frank

Lil-Rokslider
So my dad got a Pro Defiant Turbo last year and decided this year to try something different. He gave me the Defiant and it has a Hoyt drop away on it which I think is a QAD. It’s attached to the cable but I would rather attach a rest to the limb.

Looking for input if there is a certain rest that works best on this bow attached to the limb? The position of the limb dampener and geometry of the riser make it look like a limb driven rest may not be the best option.

I have the normal Pro Defiant in the 34 ata. I run the Hamskea Hybrid Pro off the limb. Great rest that a lot of people I know run.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
MuleyFever
No reason to change out that QAD HDX. Best, most reliable hunting rest I've ever used. But if you want to trade it out, asking here will get you lots of opinions, probably 12 opinions for every 10 responses. I've got a limb-driven rest for my outdoor target bow. I use a Limb Driver Micro Elite and like it. Easy to set up and reliable. Good luck and have fun with the new bow!

Do you see any negatives running it off the cable?

Boreal

WKR
Do you see any negatives running it off the cable?

None whatsoever.

I had a Ripcord Ace a number of years ago that was nothing but trouble. Poorly designed so the line from the rest to the cable would catch on an exposed bolt on the side of the rest. If not noticed and fixed, it would torque the rest out of position on the next draw. Much profanity was usually the result. None of those issues with the QAD. I actually prefer the “cleaner” look of the cable driven rest to having another cable running to my limb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boom

WKR
i was talked out of a limb driven by the huntingest couse deer hunter in tuscon. he stated that the extra long cord is problematic when it comes to heavy brush.

YMMV. i'm running a QAD on my Defiant 34. no issues except the shooter.

I am not a super sophisticated bow thingy guy but I have a carbon spider turbo and could not get the QAD rest tuned right. Lots of fletching strikes and erratic flight as a result.

That bow now wears a vapor trail limb driver pro v. Once I got it dialed it shoots bullets.

My newer bow is a Hoyt defiant 34. Non turbo. It wears a hamskea. It may be a while before I build another bow but I don’t think I will be looking further than a hamskea.

OP
MuleyFever
Looking at the QAD on it I see marks from fletch contact. I don't know if he got it tuned out or not. I have not done anything with it yet.

Looking at the QAD on it I see marks from fletch contact. I don't know if he got it tuned out or not. I have not done anything with it yet.

Yeah. My friend and I bought spider turbos with the same qad rest a couple of months apart from the same bow shop. His shot and still shoots fine groups. I actually broke up with my bow shop over that rest issue. After they had had the bow for 2.5 weeks the third trip back, the owner decided I was the problem and I had developed a bad shooting habit.

I took it to shop #2 and they took it. Called me in two days and said they couldn’t get it shooting right and suggested I either send it back or swap it for a limb driven rest. I was a week into season so I said put something on it that will work. So I got the vapor trail. It took a bit to find the sweet spot for placing the limb cord and then all has been great ever since.

Point being is those qads work fine for many. If you google Hoyt bows and qad rests you will find a few threads talking about issues. Sure. Those could be tuning problems. Or installation problems. They could also be dud rests that are just not performing. I don’t know enough to say but I can tell you what I experienced and what has worked since.

jmez

WKR
Hamskea. Great product. I haven't found the long cord any more problematic in brush than the string and two cables it runs right next too.

Hamskea. Great product. I haven't found the long cord any more problematic in brush than the string and two cables it runs right next too.

Ditto this. I carry a spar cord and launcher arm in my repair kit just in case but the cord runs right along side the strings. If it catches, it is likely that you have other problems. Same as my vapor trail rest too.

boom

WKR
makes sense.

the long cord running next to the cables. the cables are gobs stronger, no?

thankfully, mine shoots fine. i think. i switched to a lefty bow,and the growing pains are huge.

jmez

WKR
I've never snagged my string, cables, or rest cable in brush. Only issue I've ever had was brush wanting to Lodge between cam and string once in a while.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Sharp Things

Lil-Rokslider
I have nothing but great things to say about the Magne drop Ravin Claw rest. Ive used it this year in WI, MI, IA, IN, TX and Hawaii, taking 8 diff species in all kinds of weather from 10F and snow to 90F. Mostly spot and stalk but a couple treestand kills. Now I may not be impartial since I spent a year and a half developing this rest for the company that Hired me to design the rest for them. Full capture/recapture on letdown. Limb or cable driven. The fastest drop on the market. Life cycle tested in excess of a quarter million cycles.

jTuvm2R.jpg

3J8WnxU.jpg

AXxTbsX.jpg

daUH55I.jpg

D2yWRof.jpg

gwvdQEd.jpg

6bP83kf.jpg

mbXAv5I.jpg

Last edited: