Restoring 15 year old trex decking

I need to redo my deck. I came into about 1000 sq ft of “old school” trex decking 1.5” x 5.5”. For free. It’s sat in the sun and snow up at Lake Tahoe for about 15 years and the surface is now about like 200 grit sandpaper with some sparkly stuff that I think is probably a fiberglass binder. Do they make a spray or resin for re-constituting the surface... and if so Has anyone ever tried it? Also don’t like the color... can it be stained?756055B1-C220-4EB2-B5CE-23158BB30955.jpeg

Not specifically a restoration but I have painted old tree with an elastomeric deck paint. You could walk barefoot in comfort And it has held up well for two years.

Baddog

WKR
It’s done. Haul it to the dump. It’s just about ready to start coming apart. That stuff had a big class action lawsuit on it

IDK anything about the class action lawsuit, but I’m in agreement with it being trashed. We had a big earthquake about 2 1/2 years ago and had to replace our 14 year old Trex deck, I tried to salvage it, thinking I’d use it at our cabin, but it was total junk. I ended up salvaging the pressure treated framing, and trashing the Trex decking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

*zap*

WKR
The first batch's of trex they made had lots of troubles. Synthetic is the best way to go for decking, thou.

BFR

WKR
If it’s flaking it’s not safe to use. Since they did have problems between 2003 and 2007 with a recall you can contact the company, maybe you’ll get lucky an they’ll replace them. If they don’t, all your out is a phone call, either way I wouldn’t trust the ones you have.

Beendare

WKR
The stuff you got for free is probably a result of someone getting a settlement from trex in the class action lawsuit. You saved them a bundle in dump fees. The decking you want is the wrapped versions Or one of the Indonesian hardwoods like Ipe.

We use the higher end versions of Trex, timber tech and Azek decking on projects, good material.