Restring or upgrade time?

Restring or upgrade the bow

• Total voters

Keedman

FNG
I have a bear cruzer that I got in 2015 when I started archery and my pre forum days.
The strings are starting to fray and the serving has worked loose. So time for a set of strings and cables. Which will run around a 100 to 150 or so from a quick search the other night.
However I have been wanting a new rig to hopefully gain some speed. But I am shorter dl @27 so I know that I'll never reach advertised numbers.
Currently shooting at 70lbs roughly 230 240 fps with 500ish grain arrows.

I know thay usually the advise is to restring as tech hasn't progressed enough to warrant the high price. But I think it has in this instance
So I figured I'd reach out for advice from a pool who tracks industry better than I.

If you shoot it well, I don’t know that I’d change.
But then again, I’m a junkie when it comes to buying archery stuff....and really have no room to talk.

Depends on how much you shoot but some of the new bows will need to be restrung pretty soon after purchase, Mathews being one of the main ones. I really like Bear, but their strings ain't too great either.

If you like the Bear bows look for a used Kuma, I think they are pretty underrated. Arena's were good as well, I'd plan on restringing anything you buy used.

Rob5589

WKR
You aren't getting a new, better bow, for 150 bucks. As @Billy Goat alluded to, even new bows often have less than stellar threads from the factory.

Either way, restring the Cruzer so even if you buy a new bow you'll have a solid back up.

MThuntr

WKR
Restring the Cruzer continue to shoot meanwhile find the bow you want to upgrade to when it's on sale or when the newest model hits the floor and you can grab last year's bow on forums. Then use Cruzer as a fishing bow.

OctoberGold

Lil-Rokslider
Upgrading to a used or carryover flagship bow from the last couple years will likely yield some significant performance advantages over your current bow. You will also probably get an improved draw cycle and back wall, some of those high adjustability cams are pretty spongy in my opinion. Maybe go try shooting a few of the newer bows to see if it warrants the significant cost of an upgrade to you. My guess is it will.

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Thanks for the replies I figured I knew what the response was going to be.
But yes I plan on restringing the bow. To have something to use in this mean time while I look around and try a few bows out.

Rob5589

WKR
Even better, buy some tools and learn to DIY. It isn't that difficult once you learn the basics. A Bowmaster or Synumn press, a basic bow vise ( I made my first one ), a draw board using a Harbor Frieght winch, and basic tools will get you there. No more dependence on a shop and you'll have the know how to fix it yourself in a pinch when no shop is available.

OP
Keedman

Keedman

FNG
Even better, buy some tools and learn to DIY. It isn't that difficult once you learn the basics. A Bowmaster or Synumn press, a basic bow vise ( I made my first one ), a draw board using a Harbor Frieght winch, and basic tools will get you there. No more dependence on a shop and you'll have the know how to fix it yourself in a pinch when no shop is available.
Funny you say this as this was today's thought and began looking up tools i would need. I would like to further my knowledge on how my bow works and what else I could squeeze out with the knowledge.