Rests and sights

Tradchef

WKR
So since I’ve been out of the compound game for a good bit I had a few questions for you all even though I know this is all subjective. I shoot traditional for everything but I’d like to start shooting a compound again just because I still like them. So for sights....I see most shoot sliders. I always ran a spot Hogg hunter 5 pin back in the day. Is there an advantage besides extended range for sliders vs fixed? Single or multiple pins? As for rests......I shot trophy taker and I tried biscuits. Both shot really well. Obviously they have come a long way. Was looking at hamskea and I’m not opposed to using a biscuit either. So just some info......this won’t replace my stickbow hunting or shooting most of the time but I do have a gnarly work schedule at the restaurant these days. Shooting time with my sticks is solid but time afield can be cut short to a half day a week or just a couple hours. I wanted a back up plan just in case. I’m not a long range shooter obviously but even when I shot compounds most of my animals were 35 and under with only one mulie at 62. I don’t need the most advanced but I’d like stuff that just works. I’ll hunt with it a couple times a year maybe but I’d kind of just like to have it to shoot indoors and bounce back and forth in practice with my stickbows. Any help would be appreciated.

scott

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
If you have no interest in shooting longer ranges, then a fixed is fine. I wouldn't mind doing some really long range stuff with an actual pin to put on the target instead of stacking pins, but I just haven't found a slider that I want to mess with. I use a 7-pin SH Hunter and can shoot out to 90 easily just holding high with my 80 so for now that's good enough for target shooting for me.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I've tried a bunch of them, and the best for me so far has been the QAD HDX. Going on 6 years now and it's been absolutely flawless. I love the long forks holding the arrow in place in the "up" position, as I'm on the run at times with an arrow nocked when chasing elk, and I don't even use the crossbar on it, I take those off. I also like that it stays in the "up" position after you let down the bow. Just make sure you know how to time it right, most seem to struggle with that part.

Beendare

WKR
Heres my take Scott- and I can tell you the slider guys will disagree;

A slider is an advantage for target shooting...obvious reasons.

Its not an advantage for hunting.

Its slower with more to think about when you probably would have been better off concentrating on other things than having to adjust your sight. What is the animal doing, body language, you positioning for the shot, etc?

We don't always have the luxury of time in a hunting situation....and I've been hunting with guys that had sliders miss opportunities because of it.

Then there is the shoot through aspect where multiple fixed pins gives you an advantage. When shooting through openings in trees, brush- you know, real world hunting scenarios- you can use fixed pins to determine whether you will clear that branch at 20yds and still hit the animal. This takes away the guesswork.

______

Rob5589

WKR
I don't know a ton of guys that bowhunt but, of the guys I do know, none of them use a slider. They sound cool in theory but, I am not keen on them at the "moment of truth," as they say. The funny thing is, many guys that I read about online use a 5 pin slider, to avoid pin clutter. Not sure how 5 pins clears up the so called clutter vs 6 or 7. Anyway, I have never used one so maybe I am missing something.

As far as brand, Spot Hogg still makes great gear, albeit not inexpensive. Montana Black Gold is another high end sight. I use Trophy Ridge and have never had an issue.

Rests, I use a Ripcord Code Red on one bow and a HHA Virtus on the other. Both are easy to set up and work perfectly. The QAD stuff, as well as Hamskea, always come recommended as well.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Rests... The only befefit of the Biscuit is the price. Drop away rests stabilize the arrow better especially if you have a long draw length. Long arrows can be hard to tune through a Biscuit. I love my QAD.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Heres my take Scott- and I can tell you the slider guys will disagree;

A slider is an advantage for target shooting...obvious reasons.

Its not an advantage for hunting.

Its slower with more to think about when you probably would have been better off concentrating on other things than having to adjust your sight. What is the animal doing, body language, you positioning for the shot, etc?

We don't always have the luxury of time in a hunting situation....and I've been hunting with guys that had sliders miss opportunities because of it.

Then there is the shoot through aspect where multiple fixed pins gives you an advantage. When shooting through openings in trees, brush- you know, real world hunting scenarios- you can use fixed pins to determine whether you will clear that branch at 20yds and still hit the animal. This takes away the guesswork.

______

That’s kind of how I see it as well. Like I said....I just miss playing around with them and want something simple, effective and just fun to shoot. 99% of the time I’m grabbing my stickbows or maybe 100% to hunt but I’d like something to possibly take on a hunt or two and just mix up shooting during the week on an off day shooting stick. Also, if work gets in the way like it did this past season I’ve got a little back up plan if need be. Appreciate the help as usual.

Beendare

WKR
Well I have a few buddies shooting sliders....so for sure there are other opinions on that besides mine.

The guys that do have it set up for long range shooting and the slider makes that easier.

So I suppose if you are going to take very long shots...the slider is better.

_____

OldGrayJB

WKR
I shoot a 5 pin fixed but if I was going to use a slider, I wouldn't get a single pin for hunting. The 3 pin sliders seem like a good compromise. You can still have pins set at 20. 30, and 40 yards. Anything beyond 40 you're probably more likely to have time to adjust your sight. And less likely to get busted doing it.

calreef18

FNG
Another endorsement here for the QAD HDX, also for sights I like my IQ 7 pin. I would say get as few pins as possible but still cover your normal shooting ranges. Clean up the sight picture a bit.

OP
Tradchef

Tradchef

WKR
Well I have a few buddies shooting sliders....so for sure there are other opinions on that besides mine.

The guys that do have it set up for long range shooting and the slider makes that easier.

So I suppose if you are going to take very long shots...the slider is better.

_____

im not shooting long range. Maybe longer Range on targets than my hunting trad bows but I’m not interested in that. I think a nice fixed 4 or 5 pin will be just fine.

4ester

WKR
Sights: Personally I love my 3 pin slider for hunting. Pins set for 20,30,40 and that covers me 95% of the time. I use my bottom pin as a floater and can dial to exact yardages for 3d shoots or longer shots.

Rest: Im a limb driven rest fan as they are stupid simple to install and tune. A lot of guys like the QAD as well.