Rethinking Merino baselayers

I am starting to rethink merino as a baselayer. Here’s my scenario: truck based North Idaho September. Generally mild but fairly high humidity and occasional rain. I loved merino but after hiking all day it would get fairly wet (I sweat a wee bit). For the life of me, I couldn’t get it dried out. I ended up rotating my base every day because I couldn’t get anything to dry.

I’m thinking I may ditch the merino in favor of synthetics that may dry quicker.

Anybody gone this route? What seems to work in higher humidity areas?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ddog

WKR
The Aerowool bases from FL dry fast. I switch out every day of our early MI deer season and May turkey. High humidity here as well, especially the Oct bow season.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
It must be our single digit humidity levels here in CO, but even when I soak my merino tops from sweat, they're always dry when I climb into my sleeping bag. Ya, I'd try the aerowool or just switch them out every day.

Catahoula

WKR
I run the FL Aerowool in late summer scouting/Sept archery. Gets pretty wet from perspiration but it drys fast. As suggested, maybe try the line. Synthetics end up stinky in a day or two.

This is why a lot of guys, including myself, go synthetic. There’s a big contingent of merino guy as well. Pick you poison.

JPD350

WKR
I have found that once a stink has been set in synthetic it is very hard to get out, you think it's gone but as soon as you start wearing it the stink comes right back.
I also have Areowool but for me it isn't as comfortable as merino.

fatlander

WKR
A lot of guys here saying the FL aerowool dries fast, but that wasn’t at all my experience this past fall. I brought one FL aerowool top and one Sitka core light weight top to SW MT in September. The Sitka core actually dried while I was wearing. The FL had to be removed and hung to dry. No way it’s making the trip back with me this fall.

slowelk

WKR
I don’t use any merino except for my socks. With polygene that Sitka uses, synthetics can repel stink for quite a while, but since your based at your truck you could rotate two layers and last a couple of weeks before you started to really stink.
Aerowool is OK, but it’s still damp long after a synthetic is dry.

I've used synthetic and merino base layers over the years. I found that even with modern day fabrics synthetics will retain "stink" whereas good merino not so much. By the time I'm ready to hit the sack at night my base layers are pretty much dry.

PHo

WKR
I went from a Sitka core lightweight top to a Kuiu ultra merino 145 and noticed this as well. Although not as quick drying as the sitka, the ultra 145 actually dries relatively quick. The major benefit that I’ve noticed is that although the shirt might not be 100% dry I never really feel as wet as I do in synthetics because the wool keeps the moisture off my skin.

The only time I wear merino is backpacking when I only bring one shirt for a week. Truck camping is perfect for synthetics that are going to dry faster, typically more durable and overall a little more comfortable. Plus easier to wash and care for overall.

Mark S

FNG
if you are stationary and/or not walking far - can't beat merino for warmth and feel. If you are moving alot synthetic would be something to consider

The smell from sweaty synthetic is a big deal to me. I’m not sure what you have, but 145-150 weight merino pieces tend to have enough synthetic to dry better than the 100% merino you tend to see in 200+ weight.

I love my Fl Aerowool for early season TX (70%-85% humidity). It worked great on an eastern plains antelope hunt in Colorado, maybe less humidity than N. Idaho.

I’d probably swap out merino blends everyday at the truck. However, you could also get an Ozone duffle bag to “wash” stinky clothes.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
if you are stationary and/or not walking far - can't beat merino for warmth and feel. If you are moving alot synthetic would be something to consider

I'm the complete opposite of that. If I'm not going to be moving much, then synthetic is fine. But if I'm elk hunting and sweating all day long, I want my lightweight 100% merino.

Never had any issues with my FL merino drying. I typically wear their lightweight merino, pre aerowool, for up to 7 days no issue. Where I’ve had issue is using sub par merino. I tried out the BlackOvis merino, and while I think it is a good value, it does not dry fast at all and you will freeze in the right conditions.
As synthetics go, I tried some Sitka synthetics and they smelled to high heavens after 2 days. I have had good luck with the Kuiu synthetic. I have one, think the 118 peloton, I wore for 6 days straight antelope hunting in August in Nevada. Needless to say it was hot and it picked up very little smell.

OFFHNTN

WKR
I absolutely can not stand the stink synthetics give after one day of use. FirstLite Merino base layers and Aerowool are my go too. I think they dry fairly quickly and I can wear them for days with no smell.

OldGrayJB

WKR
Never had any issues with my FL merino drying. I typically wear their lightweight merino, pre aerowool, for up to 7 days no issue. Where I’ve had issue is using sub par merino. I tried out the BlackOvis merino, and while I think it is a good value, it does not dry fast at all and you will freeze in the right conditions.
As synthetics go, I tried some Sitka synthetics and they smelled to high heavens after 2 days. I have had good luck with the Kuiu synthetic. I have one, think the 118 peloton, I wore for 6 days straight antelope hunting in August in Nevada. Needless to say it was hot and it picked up very little smell.
What weight did you have in the Blackovis merino?

I have a couple of the light weight 50% merino shirts and they seem to dry pretty fast but I've never had them completely soaked.