Retirement state?

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Ok so my wife retired in December from active duty military. I am set to push the retirement button from the fire department. We are not staying in Louisiana. Our house just went under contract two days ago and we are grabbing a 5th wheel to be ready to head out.

So the question is..............Which state to pick to have as my new permanent residence? We both hunt and fish and love the outdoors. I have points in Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. So do i make my new homestead in New mexico and just keep playing the points game in the other states as a non-resident or pick colorado or Montana (not too interested in Arizona) and have a good chance at a decent hunt on multiple animals every year or two or three?

Id like to grab some land in Texas and put it there since i love that states stance on a lot of hunting, fishing, 2nd amendment etc etc but that wouldnt really be beneficial for what i plan on doing as a retiree.................HUNT and FISH a lot and year round.

Anyway, any insight or opinions, especially from those that live or have lived in one of these states, would be appreciated.

Thanks
steve

Wvroach

WKR
Congratulations on the retirement. Not much help on your answer having never lived in any of the above states. Good luck with whatever you do decide.

I am on about the same boat. I live in Texas great state for retiring and hunting, IF, and only if you own or lease land. Texas is one of lowest on public hunting land of any 50 states and no one lets you hunt just for asking in East Texas.

My 2 cents. I am thinking of CO.

ChemE

FNG
Ok so my wife retired in December from active duty military. I am set to push the retirement button from the fire department. We are not staying in Louisiana. Our house just went under contract two days ago and we are grabbing a 5th wheel to be ready to head out.

So the question is..............Which state to pick to have as my new permanent residence? We both hunt and fish and love the outdoors. I have points in Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. So do i make my new homestead in New mexico and just keep playing the points game in the other states as a non-resident or pick colorado or Montana (not too interested in Arizona) and have a good chance at a decent hunt on multiple animals every year or two or three?

Id like to grab some land in Texas and put it there since i love that states stance on a lot of hunting, fishing, 2nd amendment etc etc but that wouldnt really be beneficial for what i plan on doing as a retiree.................HUNT and FISH a lot and year round.

Anyway, any insight or opinions, especially from those that live or have lived in one of these states, would be appreciated.

Thanks
steve
If you can afford it, Wyoming has some of the best retirement laws on the books. When I retired from the Marines we considered it but ultimately settled back home in LA (lower Alabama)

Mosby

WKR
A lot of things to look at when you retire. If I was packing up and going somewhere, I would look at college towns in any of those states. They normally have decent health care, convenient day to day shopping and stuff to do when you get old or it isn't hunting season. That quickly eliminates a lot and narrows the search down to a manageable list. Then I would compare housing and cost of living, have realtors send you information and get it down to two towns. Go visit them and pick one of the two.

Wolf_trapper

Lil-Rokslider
Mt winters are long and dark. Nov-may with no breaks. My in laws from NM tried it and gave up after one winter. You might want to consider that being from a southern state. Fishing kinda sucks here too.

Sherman

WKR
A lot of things to look at when you retire. If I was packing up and going somewhere, I would look at college towns in any of those states. They normally have decent health care, convenient day to day shopping and stuff to do when you get old or it isn't hunting season. That quickly eliminates a lot and narrows the search down to a manageable list. Then I would compare housing and cost of living, have realtors send you information and get it down to two towns. Go visit them and pick one of the two.
I would offer the opposite advice. Avoid college towns at all costs. 9 times out of 10 it will be an Uber-liberal city chocked full of red diaper doper babies. Even in the most conservative states college towns are bad-bad-bad politically. This is what I found when I was visiting and researching locations to move my family to away from the PRC (People’s Republic of California). Typically you can find a rural area within a 60 minute drive where the politics are better, less people, and way better cost of living.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
I am on about the same boat. I live in Texas great state for retiring and hunting, IF, and only if you own or lease land. Texas is one of lowest on public hunting land of any 50 states and no one lets you hunt just for asking in East Texas.

My 2 cents. I am thinking of CO.
where in east texas are you? Im in Haughton which is about 20 minutes from the border

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
If you can afford it, Wyoming has some of the best retirement laws on the books. When I retired from the Marines we considered it but ultimately settled back home in LA (lower Alabama)
Ill have to check that out. I already know there are multiple states that dont tax certain types of retirements but at the same time some of those get their money back with high property taxes.

OP
lowpressure

lowpressure

Lil-Rokslider
Colorado is full
This would most likely be my answer too if i lived there. When i last lived in Colorado in the 80s it was much less populated. Every year when i go back to Montrose its just getting bigger and bigger. Sad truth is I may still try to find a crack to squeeze myself into there. At least ill add another red vote. Maybe we can get that ugly blue color off it on the "election map".