Retirement state?

Retired in TX means wade fishing the coast from April to Aug

But property Taxes are terrible from a retirement standpoint
Everyone complains about property taxes in TX and they should. But there is no income tax so it offsets pretty well.

And today, near that TX coast, it is 95 degrees 2 weeks in the middle of spring and it's only going to get worse. No thanks.

peterk123

WKR
I retired in Montana but technically speaking this state is not retirement friendly. All income is taxed including social security.

Everyone complains about property taxes in TX and they should. But there is no income tax so it offsets pretty well.

And today, near that TX coast, it is 95 degrees 2 weeks in the middle of spring and it's only going to get worse. No thanks.
I have a place in Rockport. 95 while in the water wade fishing watching a king ranch sunrise, then being hooked into an oversized red is fine any day of the week.

Inland you have a valid point solely from a humidity standpoint but on the coast, the breeze and fishing offset the heat

I have a place in Rockport. 95 while in the water wade fishing watching a king ranch sunrise, then being hooked into an oversized red is fine any day of the week.

Inland you have a valid point solely from a humidity standpoint but on the coast, the breeze and fishing offset the heat
Lived on the coast for 6 years and spent many a late afternoon tied into a big red.

The humidity still sucks.

WKR
CO starter homes are roughly $550,000 for something in a decent neighborhood. I'd personally go to Sheridan, WY.

Then I'd park that travel trailer in AZ for 5 months every winter.

Phaseolus

WKR
The Wife and I went to Baja instead last winter, we liked it a lot more than Arizona.

SaltyUte

Lil-Rokslider
Congrats on retirement! Wyoming is the state I would like to retire in when I hit mid 50s.

Last edited:

cwparry44

FNG
Thank you for your service and congrats on retirement! I’d be very tempted to go AZ personally.