Retirement state?

CHWine

Lil-Rokslider
Congratulations on your retirement. I've been retired for a month and we left Commifornia and are settling into our new home in Lakeside AZ.....about 8 miles from Show Low. Love the area. Very conservative area and we feel our money will go far here. We thought Cody WY was going to be our spot..... even bought a house there, but realized that if you're not used to long winters and wind we wouldn't have made it. We're also not rich enough to have two homes. Closer to CO to finally burn my points. Also want to get back into fishing again.

I planned retirement not only around money in the bank, but also places for years. Over the last 25 years, I bought property in Colorado from time to time when prices dipped. In 2018 I sold those and bought a cabin. 30 miles from town, in a grove of aspens: own it free and clear.

So Texas in the winter and Colorado in the summer. If I want to see liberals, I can make a trip to Telluride. If I want to be around down to earth real people, I go to Dolores, Cortez, ect. Don’t go to Telluride much! There are LOTS of great people in western Colorado.

Everyone says you have to own land in Texas to hunt. That is only partly true. I do own a ranch, but I also lease out spots to people. With a little research you could find something like that. No, it’s not cheap, but to give you an example I charge $2500/ year. They can go out 365 days a year and hunt something. From feral hogs and exotics to whitetail and turkeys. Rabbits, foxes, coons, and bobcats too. Whitetail season starts first of October (archery) and ends first weekend in Jan. Can take 5 deer and 4 turkeys in most counties. AND I can travel to coast and fish if I want.

So, for me, resident of Texas: spend winters here and summers in CO works. Of course, you could do the opposite: resident up north and winter in the south in a travel tailer (snow bird). Lots of people do that.

Last edited:

FlyGuy

WKR
Am I the only one who would pick Alaska or is everybody just trying to keep that on the down low?

I’m with you man.

If I were the OP id haul that rig straight out to Alaska. I’m 48 and I’m just starting to think about retirement plans tho it’s not going to be soon. My dream would be to retire at 55 while I’m still young enough to do all the things I like to do, solo; and gain residency in Alaska. You can kill a lot of shit up there every year as a resident. I figure it would take me 4-5 years bare minimum to get one of everything I want (Brown bear, mtn goat, moose, caribou, dall sheep) plus lots of great fishing and waterfowl hunting is top notch. Keep building my elk points in western states and then Once I’d had my fill up there my next stop would probably by WY.

Biggest problem is that my wife will never follow me there (she HATES the cold), so I’d live up there in a travel trailer or something like that on a small piece of property; and probably during the scouting and hunting seasons (and whatever is required to meet the minimum for residency), and then come back to TX for the winters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nykki

Lil-Rokslider
I'm retiring at the end of this year. Wife was born and raised in Alaska and won't live anywhere else, I've been here for fifty one years I'll stay here. Everything is paid for and we've done well together so no reason to leave.

Rokwiia

WKR
There are lot of moving parts in the decision to choose a retirement state. Income taxation of retirement benefits, cost of living, access to competent medical facilities, crime, like-minded folks, cost of real estate and property taxes, access to activities you enjoy, and more.

Choose wisely after consdering all of them.

The problem with living here isn’t knowing which parts to avoid.

It‘s the fact that you cannot escape the influence of those parts you avoid.

The state goes whichever way Portland votes, and Portland is unavoidable.
Meh, same was true in New Mexico (ABQ) and Illinois (Chicago) and Massachusetts (Boston). But my experience in those states were all pretty good despite the influence of the city people. Hell, Texas is chock full of city people now. You can't escape the influence of people from DFW, Austin or Houston (San Antonio people don't bother anyone) unless you get west of Junction or north of Abilene.

Oregon has beautiful and abundant public lands, world class fishing and a great diversity of things to hunt. There's a good chance my wife and I will either end up living there or spending a lot of time there when we retire. I've seen plenty of the state that was as far from Portland as Rocksprings, TX is from Houston.

PS if it's the liberal politics that are a problem, then I'm sorry to say that no place is "safe" from those so long as a person has television, the internet and social media accounts.

Luckily, I hear only liberals need safe spaces though.

Last edited:

nikoavg

FNG
Ok so my wife retired in December from active duty military. I am set to push the retirement button from the fire department. We are not staying in Louisiana. Our house just went under contract two days ago and we are grabbing a 5th wheel to be ready to head out.

So the question is..............Which state to pick to have as my new permanent residence? We both hunt and fish and love the outdoors. I have points in Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. So do i make my new homestead in New mexico and just keep playing the points game in the other states as a non-resident or pick colorado or Montana (not too interested in Arizona) and have a good chance at a decent hunt on multiple animals every year or two or three?

Id like to grab some land in Texas and put it there since i love that states stance on a lot of hunting, fishing, 2nd amendment etc etc but that wouldnt really be beneficial for what i plan on doing as a retiree.................HUNT and FISH a lot and year round.

Anyway, any insight or opinions, especially from those that live or have lived in one of these states, would be appreciated.

Thanks
steve
Ok so my wife retired in December from active duty military. I am set to push the retirement button from the fire department. We are not staying in Louisiana. Our house just went under contract two days ago and we are grabbing a 5th wheel to be ready to head out.

So the question is..............Which state to pick to have as my new permanent residence? We both hunt and fish and love the outdoors. I have points in Arizona, Colorado, and Montana. So do i make my new homestead in New mexico and just keep playing the points game in the other states as a non-resident or pick colorado or Montana (not too interested in Arizona) and have a good chance at a decent hunt on multiple animals every year or two or three?

Id like to grab some land in Texas and put it there since i love that states stance on a lot of hunting, fishing, 2nd amendment etc etc but that wouldnt really be beneficial for what i plan on doing as a retiree.................HUNT and FISH a lot and year round.

Anyway, any insight or opinions, especially from those that live or have lived in one of these states, would be appreciated.

Thanks
steve
Western Slope of Colorado. Fruita area is not to cold in winter and close to lots of outdoor activities

Meh, same was true in New Mexico (ABQ) and Illinois (Chicago) and Massachusetts (Boston). But my experience in those states were all pretty good despite the influence of the city people. Hell, Texas is chock full of city people now. You can't escape the influence of people from DFW, Austin or Houston (San Antonio people don't bother anyone) unless you get west of Junction or north of Abilene.

Oregon has beautiful and abundant public lands, world class fishing and a great diversity of things to hunt. There's a good chance my wife and I will either end up living there or spending a lot of time there when we retire. I've seen plenty of the state that was as far from Portland as Rocksprings, TX is from Houston.
Dang we hang out in the same area. My ranch is between Junction and Rocksprings, west of Telegraph.

Phaseolus

WKR
Western Slope of Colorado. Fruita area is not to cold in winter and close to lots of outdoor activities
Frueeta? Worked at 1910 L Road for 30 years. I picked EOM For home though, it’s ten degrees warmer than Fruieetah in the mornings In winter. Best Slope for sure.

Get you a belt bucket, cowboy hat and a double wide trailer in Wyoming on 4 acres for $500,000 or $600,000 and tell everyone you from there just like almost every “resident” does.