Retiring in a politically moderate community

Is there anyplace left today that you'd consider retiring to that is politically moderate?

My wife and I are both sick of all the partisan politics, and can't really stand being surrounded by people on either extreme.

Probably the most politically moderate place I've ever lived was southern Illinois, and we'd consider going back, but we'd rather be closer to our son in Colorado.

We're pretty quiet "keep to ourselves" types, and don't feel any desire to fly political flags. That's not to say we don't follow politics, but she and I are both very independent moderates. We'd love to find a place where, if we did discuss politics, it wouldn't turn into a shouting match.

OP
Newtosavage
Haha, NE WY is so politically to the right there's no need for politics it's just assumed everyone is extremely conservative. People here are not tolerant of liberals, it's more that they just keep to themselves so it appears that they are.
There are a lot of small towns in TX that are the same way. Anyone who is not a right wing extremist either knows to keep their mouth shut, or they don't stay long. But those right wing extremists will be the first to tell you that liberals are so intolerant. LOL Same goes on the other end. I've been among crowds of liberals that couldn't stand to have me in their presence once they found out I go to church, hunt and fish and come from a conservative family. Both extremes are incredibly intolerant.

So IL is the only place I can recall living where a genuine political debate didn't end up with angry people calling others names. But then, that was before the last two presidents too, so things could have changed.