Retriever training help

Hey guys I just got a new pup that likes to retrieve and I want to train him to retrieve birds and squirrel he’s only about 6 weeks and he does ok with sitting and seems to pick up on things I want him to do fairly easily. I’m just looking for any advice on this as I don’t want to ruin a good pup. ThanksBF02E5AC-DFC9-44B8-9D4A-6FC17A4863BF.jpegBF02E5AC-DFC9-44B8-9D4A-6FC17A4863BF.jpeg

Wheels

WKR
Cute pup!
Spend the first few months just bonding with the pup and work on obedience. Once he is done teething(7-8 months) you might want to force fetch him so you won't have problems down the road on retrieves. Pick a good training program and stick with it.

OP
T
Cute pup!
Spend the first few months just bonding with the pup and work on obedience. Once he is done teething(7-8 months) you might want to force fetch him so you won't have problems down the road on retrieves. Pick a good training program and stick with it.
Thanks! I will work on sit, stay, and come here, is there something I’m missing? Also what is force fetching?

Wheels

WKR
Thanks! I will work on sit, stay, and come here, is there something I’m missing? Also what is force fetching?
Force fetch is a training process that when completed correctly, your dog will hold onto whatever you have it retrieve until you take it from him. No dropping it short. You might check out RTF, which is a retriever training forum, there is a lot of good information there.
During this puppy stage you should also work on heel, going into a kennel or dog box by command, and you can do some fun retrieves to get him excited about bringing things back to you so he can go get it again.

He’s very young so your main concern will be be basic obedience with a focus on recall & socialization.

You have a while to work on fur so no worries there. Just encourage his natural retrieve, don’t play tug of war, don’t immediately take the retrieved objects and don’t chase him if he won’t bring whatever you are practicing fetch with.

Don’t throw anything you don’t want him to pick up. Keep it simple and leave him wanting more.

You can start with 3-4 tosses down a hallway so he can’t escape and then put the toy away.

As he gets older you can increase distractions for his obedience training (recall while taking a walk in the woods vs in your controlled living room) and work on playing fetch in your yard next and then in the field.

He is young so his walks only need to be 15-20 minutes and you should move slow and let him use his nose.

Slowly make obedience and fetch drills harder and harder and the walks a little longer.

Then you will have bird and gun introductions.

Then a lot of training.

Then focus on fur LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TX_Diver

WKR
Just work obedience and socialization. A solid foundation there will make the actual training 10x easier when you get to it. Make sure it's fun, etc.

See if there's a local UKC HRC (hunting retriever club) near you. Great resource for cheap!

OP
T
He’s very young so your main concern will be be basic obedience with a focus on recall & socialization.

You have a while to work on fur so no worries there. Just encourage his natural retrieve, don’t play tug of war, don’t immediately take the retrieved objects and don’t chase him if he won’t bring whatever you are practicing fetch with.

Don’t throw anything you don’t want him to pick up. Keep it simple and leave him wanting more.

You can start with 3-4 tosses down a hallway so he can’t escape and then put the toy away.

As he gets older you can increase distractions for his obedience training (recall while taking a walk in the woods vs in your controlled living room) and work on playing fetch in your yard next and then in the field.

He is young so his walks only need to be 15-20 minutes and you should move slow and let him use his nose.

Slowly make obedience and fetch drills harder and harder and the walks a little longer.

Then you will have bird and gun introductions.

Then a lot of training.

Then focus on fur LOL

I’ve actually taken him in the woods for a pretty long ways and up some pretty steep hills and he keeps following me he does pretty well in the woods when I call him to me he’s been around a lot of people and a few other dogs he’s done fine then too

I’ve actually taken him in the woods for a pretty long ways and up some pretty steep hills and he keeps following me he does pretty well in the woods when I call him to me he’s been around a lot of people and a few other dogs he’s done fine then too

I would be careful with a young pup and long walks/steep inclines. Hip dysplasia would the main concern.

My current pup is 4.5 months old and I still only take him for a mile walks (two smaller walks is better than one long one), no steep inclines, little stairs as possible, etc.

I’m probably a little over protective when it comes their developing joints but it has worked for me.

I’ll 2nd the force fetching - I used a pretty mild form of it on my GSP and he retrieves upland better than most labs. I didnt start that until he was 9 months old. All the way up to 9 months we just played fetch with a ball - best thing I ever did. I would go to a park and launch a lacrosse ball over a 100 yards and several times he would have to put his nose to the ground and look for it because it would roll way past where he saw it land. Way better than bumpers. Now when I say “Fetch” he knows he needs to look until he comes back with something in his mouth - helps a ton with blind retrieves.

Last edited:
OP
T
Ok thanks I was just trying to get him strong and wanted to start off that way I had no idea about the problems it could cause I’ll definitely stop the longs walks thank you so much.
I would be careful with a young pup and long walks/steep inclines. Hip dysplasia would the main concern.

My current pup is 4.5 months old and I still only take him for a mile walks (two smaller walks is better than one long one), no steep inclines, little stairs as possible, etc.

I’m probably a little over protective when it comes their developing joints but it has worked for me.

By 16 weeks his mind will be fully developed. Best to get him trained now as fast as possible based on Richard Wolters book, "Gun Dog". Forget everything else and concentrate on his training. You will not regret it. Trust me.

Hey guys I just got a new pup that likes to retrieve and I want to train him to retrieve birds and squirrel he’s only about 6 weeks and he does ok with sitting and seems to pick up on things I want him to do fairly easily. I’m just looking for any advice on this as I don’t want to ruin a good pup. ThanksView attachment 275309View attachment 275309
Duck dog basics videos 1,2,and 3. Chris Akins does them loved it. Easy to follow and my dog did great on it.

I’ll 2nd the force fetching - I used a pretty mild form of it on my GSP and he retrieves upland better than most labs. I didnt start that until he was 9 months old. All the way up to 9 months we just played fetch with a ball - best thing I ever did. I would go to a park and launch a lacrosse ball over a 100 yards and several times he would have to put his nose to the ground and look for it because it would roll way past where he saw it land. Way better than bumpers. Now when I say “Fetch” he knows he needs to look until he comes back with something in his mouth - helps a ton with blind retrieves.
Force fetch is a must. Not easy on owner or dog but makes for a better dog.

Force fetch is a must. Not easy on owner or dog but makes for a better dog.
I am not a huge fan of the more aggressive approaches to force fetching, i think you can ruin a softer dog. I pinched his ear with my fingers and just made it uncomfortable when we were doing table work.

I am not a huge fan of the more aggressive approaches to force fetching, i think you can ruin a softer dog. I pinched his ear with my fingers and just made it uncomfortable when we were doing table work.
Chris teaches that way. Duck dog basics was the best training program I've ever used.

2ski

WKR
6 weeks is a young pup. I'm getting a dog next month at 8 weeks, and I'd be okay waiting till 10 honestly. Let that little dude be a pup. Go for walks but let him explore. Slow down. Don't make him run after you. Let him use his nose and take the outside in. And don't talk to him a lot. You want him to learn to depend on his nose and not your voice.

And when you do your obedience and fetching only do it a couple times then play. Keep it fun and don't overdo it. Seriously at 6 weeks let that puppy be a puppy.

6 weeks is a young pup. I'm getting a dog next month at 8 weeks, and I'd be okay waiting till 10 honestly. Let that little dude be a pup. Go for walks but let him explore. Slow down. Don't make him run after you. Let him use his nose and take the outside in. And don't talk to him a lot. You want him to learn to depend on his nose and not your voice.

And when you do your obedience and fetching only do it a couple times then play. Keep it fun and don't overdo it. Seriously at 6 weeks let that puppy be a puppy.
Most trainers say just love on them and get them used to people until 4 or 5 months old before starting obedience.