Returning to zero with different brands of ammo?

Hey guys. I'm new to the scoped hunting rifle game, and I have a question about returning to zero for various brands of ammo. As an example, I went to a range yesterday (first time with a bolt rifle) and I zeroed my 30-06 rifle with 150 grain Federal Power Shok.

I adjusted the windage and elevation knobs until I was consistently nailing POA at 100 yards. From there, I loosened and lifted my elevation knob and zeroed the knob so that 0/0 on the knob equals 100 yards POA. From there, I walked my rifle out to 400 yards and ended up with the following elevation dope:

100: 0/0
200: 2MOA
300: 4.75MOA
400: 8MOA

So here's my question. Let's say I make a dope card with the above data for Federal Power Shok 150 grain. Then let's say that I end up shooting and getting dope for 6 other brands of ammo.

Now, let's say that I go back to shooting Federal Power Shok 150 grain, and I pull out my dope card for that ammo. How do I know exactly how to get back to zero for that particular ammo, or do I? It seems that the dope for 200, 300 and 400 yards will stay pretty true once I do get back to zero for that ammo, but I'm wondering if it's possible to immediately dial my scope to zero for various kinds of ammo that I already have dope on.

I hope that makes sense. Appreciate the input.

sndmn11

WKR
Your adjustments for each particular and specific ammo will stay constant. So your dope card you made for the 150gr power shok will hold true for that rifle until the barrel is shot out or federal changes something with the load.
Any dope cards you create will remain true as well.
All you need to do when changing from ammo to ammo is rezero and then go hunt.

For instance, you can turn your scopes knobs all sorts of this way and that, go sight back in with the 150gr federal power shok at the 100yd:0/0 and your dope card will be true. You can switch scopes, and your dope card will be true once that scope is zeroed whatever your dope card says.

Your dope card will be effected if the rifle changes, if the specific ammo changes, if the atmospherics change.

I have found that generally at 100 yards, you can change specific ammo in a rifle and they will be close enough on paper that the scope can be zeroed very easily.

Laramie

WKR
Steve, keep in mind that with some brands lot numbers will make a difference. I have seen as much as 2" different impact from one lot to another. That difference is typically smaller with higher end premium ammo. 2" doesn't seem like much, and isn't to the average shooter, but it can make a pretty big difference at longer ranges. If you are going to shoot factory ammo at longer ranges, it's best to buy multiple boxes from the same lot #.

OP
S
Your adjustments for each particular and specific ammo will stay constant. So your dope card you made for the 150gr power shok will hold true for that rifle until the barrel is shot out or federal changes something with the load.
Any dope cards you create will remain true as well.
All you need to do when changing from ammo to ammo is rezero and then go hunt.

For instance, you can turn your scopes knobs all sorts of this way and that, go sight back in with the 150gr federal power shok at the 100yd:0/0 and your dope card will be true. You can switch scopes, and your dope card will be true once that scope is zeroed whatever your dope card says.

Your dope card will be effected if the rifle changes, if the specific ammo changes, if the atmospherics change.

I have found that generally at 100 yards, you can change specific ammo in a rifle and they will be close enough on paper that the scope can be zeroed very easily.
Appreciate the input. So to recap, I'll always need to re-zero for different brands of ammo, but these tweaks to get back to zero should be minimal. From there, my 200,300, 400 yard dope on my card should hold true. Thanks for breaking it down.

sndmn11

WKR
Appreciate the input. So to recap, I'll always need to re-zero for different brands of ammo, but these tweaks to get back to zero should be minimal. From there, my 200,300, 400 yard dope on my card should hold true. Thanks for breaking it down.

The dope card for each specific ammo will not change.
Federal power shok 150g needs its own card
Federal trophy bonded Xg needs its own card
Federal Fusion Xg needs its own card
Federal power shok 130g needs its own card
Federal power shok 175g needs its own card
Remington Corelokt 130 needs its own card.
Etc.

OP
S
The dope card for each specific ammo will not change.
Federal power shok 150g needs its own card
Federal trophy bonded Xg needs its own card
Federal Fusion Xg needs its own card
Federal power shok 130g needs its own card
Federal power shok 175g needs its own card
Remington Corelokt 130 needs its own card.
Etc.
Yes - I would have a separate card for each. Was mainly trying to understand how to get back to zero each time I switch ammo, but it sounds like that should be pretty easy. Thanks for the clarification