Reuse Gore-tex material from parka?

Cheaha

FNG
Anyone ever reuse Gore-tex or other similar material from old rain gear? I have a parka that is falling apart at the seams but the material is still good. I have a new parka so I have already salvaged all the bungee cords, zipper pulls, and clips for use on other projects. Writing this I thought of maybe stuff sacks, but maybe someone can think of something more creative?

eagle_eye

FNG
I have an old Marmot Parka from the mid 80s. I am having a hard time taking it to the local Goodwill, as it has been with me on most of my adventures.

It seems to leak at the seams, but I bet the material is still good.
I just might have to make some stuff sacks, maybe a pair of gaiters, or something else.
Thanks for the idea.

OP
C

Cheaha

FNG
I know what you mean eagle_eye. I have a Patagonia Capilene Shirt I bought in 1991 that I still wear. One of these days I will have to make that hard decision, lol. I like the gaiters idea but I wonder if this fabric is durable enough. I was also thinking maybe some kind of flat organizer bags integrating the zipper pockets might be cool.

Anyone ever reuse Gore-tex or other similar material from old rain gear? I have a parka that is falling apart at the seams but the material is still good. I have a new parka so I have already salvaged all the bungee cords, zipper pulls, and clips for use on other projects. Writing this I thought of maybe stuff sacks, but maybe someone can think of something more creative?
I made some long mittens from an old gortex parka for boating on cold windy days.
Extra long so the water does not seep into the cuffs of my rain jacket. I used tent seam-sealer to water proof the stitches.

OP
C

Cheaha

FNG
Long mittens would be cool. Did you use the sleeves or sew them out of the body panels?

NW307

Lil-Rokslider
I’ve been using the goretex from some old waders that couldn’t handle anymore seamseal. I put some on the inside and outside of the top cone of my diy tipi, it’s much more abrasion resistant that the silpoly. I also sewed some knee patches on some soft shell pants for kneeling in the snow. Seems to work great.

I just joined Rokslide, but this DIY gear forum is my new favorite thing on the internet.

This year, I cut up some old goretex waders (plus some elastic) to make a bino cover that fits over my binos/harness and flips on and off to keep the rain off my eye pieces when blacktail hunting. Way cheaper and lighter than a chest pack.