revalation x 20* long wide

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
Thought I'd ask this here. I stupidly left my quilt in the compression bag for several months...I basically got back from Utah and tossed my pack in the garage until about a month ago. It's now hanging in the bag in the garage, but the down seems to have compressed quite a bit. Are there any tricks to fixing this or will it just eventually fix itself now that it's not compressed?

Put it in the dryer with low or no heat and toss in a few tennis balls.

brewer427

WKR
Littlebuf,

I've read through this and tried to see what fill you used, I'm not sure if you posted it and I just read over it, but what did you choose for your fill. I was looking on there website and seen 3 options. 850 fill water resistant Downtek treated Goose Down, 800 fill Goose Down and 750 fill Duck Down. There's a huge price difference so I was just curious.

Thanks

colonel00

WKR
Back with the older version of the Rev X, I believe the only fill was 850 down. Somewhere in the fall of last year, Tim switched to using 750 fill for the Rev X's and then they were discontinued altogether. I would still like to hear from Tim on what is actually different between the Enigma and the Revelation. On the site, if you choose Revelation, the main photo shows the same baffle design as the Enigma. However, the smaller photos show the old Revelation baffle style.

Browtine

WKR
I would still like to hear from Tim on what is actually different between the Enigma and the Revelation. On the site, if you choose Revelation, the main photo shows the same baffle design as the Enigma. However, the smaller photos show the old Revelation baffle style.

One difference looks to be the footbox. I don't think the Enigma has a zippered footbox like the Revelation shaving off some weight.

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
Foot box is different and the materials he's using are an upgrade on the enigma, also he's gotten the enigma crazy lite for temp ratings. My rev is 850 non treated

Bmcox86

WKR
Damn it! After reading this and the other quilt thread I went and ordered one! Thanks for the great review, answered a lot of questions

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
No problem. Your going to love making the quilt switch. I'll never go back

eltaco

WKR
Do you feel like the versatility of the revelation warrants going that route over the sewn footbox of the enigma? There's a 2oz savings with Enigma... trying to decide how often I'll want the footbox opened. 2oz isn't a ton, but weight savings is my primary interest in purchasing the quilt right now.

stevenm2

Lil-Rokslider
I have the rev style foot box and I am glad I do. You can open it up and it makes it much more versatile for me. Well worth a couple of ounces. Mine is a 20 degree and with the foot box open I can use it in much more mild temps. I can also use it over my 15 degree down bag when it gets really cold.
It allows me to open it up and use it as a cover for glassing or just hangin out in the cabin in winter.
Mine goes into a Sea to Summit xs compression sack and gets pretty small. It is a great addition to my gear.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I have a Rev X with the foot box that opens and a Zpacks quilt with a sown foot box. I like the versatility of the Rev X but I honestly don't use the foot box feature very often.

No problem. Your going to love making the quilt switch. I'll never go back

Never say never. I had 35+ nights in my Rev X last year and I absolutely love it. However I know that when sleeping in a floorless shelter when the temps get REALLY cold (coldest I slept this last year was -5*F) you really need either a down balaclava, or a mummy style bag. In my case I doubled up my 20* Rev X quilt inside my Marmot 20* Sawtooth sleeping bag and slept warm. The marmot cuts any slight drafts better than the quilt does (Floorless shelter).

You may say that a bivy will help cut the drafts in that cold weather. Which is true depending on material used, but there's a downfall to that system. I used a Borah Gear M90 top bivy last year, and when the weather gets that cold, the condensation freezes before it has a chance to evaporate/transfer through the top material of the bivy, and that M90 top breathes AWESOME! Even just using the quilt inside the bivy I've had a thick layer of frozen condensation between the top of the quilt and underneath the bivy.

Anything under 5* I'll be using a bag likely... Just what last season taught me using a quilt for the first time.

Mike

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know about you Mike. I don't even use a quilt or a pad unless the temps drop into the single digits.

It was 20* this night.
IMG_0237_zps4bbe577d.jpg

eltaco

WKR
That's hardcore.

I figure most of my nights will be 15+ deg during late August thru September, so I'm very interested in giving a quilt a shot. Wish I had some cold evenings to test the theory of no head coverage prior to season, but think I'm out of luck on that front.

Do you guys feel as though there's a temperature point where a sewn footbox is warranted?

How about pad r value? Is a synmat ul7 sufficient?

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
the foot box is really going to be a personal thing. i have both the rev x and the enigma. i dont however have any nights in the enigma yet. ive slept directly on the snow, in the low 20's high teens with a neo air xtherm and the rev x with the convertible foot box. just wore my long johns merino socks and wool beine. but im not a ginger so i have a soul to keep me a little warmer at night than Mike will be. really its just a bit of a leap of faith with the whole quilt thing, its such a foreign concept to most guys. and it was to me too. but like i stated,ill never go back. Tims quilts are great and of top notch quality. if you end up not liking it you will have no problem selling it for likely not much of a loss. mine are not and will not be for sale. for what its worth

OP
littlebuf

littlebuf

Banned
i will echo justins comment though. i hardly ever use my rev x with the foot box open. i will however loosen the draw strings at the bottom to get a breeze through the quilt on warm nights, that's a nice option to have.maybe ill talk to Tim about that. could eliminate the zipper and just have a open ended/ sewn foot box. Revelation 2.0 perhaps? you reading this Tim???

the foot box is really going to be a personal thing. i have both the rev x and the enigma. i dont however have any nights in the enigma yet. ive slept directly on the snow, in the low 20's high teens with a neo air xtherm and the rev x with the convertible foot box. just wore my long johns merino socks and wool beine. but im not a ginger so i have a soul to keep me a little warmer at night than Mike will be. really its just a bit of a leap of faith with the whole quilt thing, its such a foreign concept to most guys. and it was to me too. but like i stated,ill never go back. Tims quilts are great and of top notch quality. if you end up not liking it you will have no problem selling it for likely not much of a loss. mine are not and will not be for sale. for what its worth

I think your staying warm has more to do with your extra 2" of Sasquatch body hair!! Talk about loft.....

Mike

banjo

FNG
Just sold my 15 degree WM and ordered the zero degree Revelation Pro for fall alpine bivy hunts in BC...can hardly wait. Warmer lighter and less $ than the bag it was a no brainer. Thx all of you for convincing me. Ill be sure to report back on how I make out with the temp rating.