Review: lightest possible tripod.

My good buddy in Alaska makes the best weight to performance tripod on the market. Total cottage industry product.

We used it on a sheep hunt back in August.

I wouldn't say that it totally replaces a monfrotto, but I think on those 10 day missions where every single ounce matters it'd be my pick. If you use your trekking poles and a stic, or your buddies pole ur only in at 4oz

The head pans fairly well, and once locked down it doesn't move.

Obviously trekking poles that adjust are the ticket, but the included legs do well as well for an angled spotter

https://xploreak.com/shop?olsPage=products/the-vari-leg-tripod-base

IMG_1419.JPG

IMG_1420.JPG

IMG_1417.JPG

I know the product well. Like Ndbowhunter said it doesn't replace a traditional Tripod for front country, but when every ounce matters IMO it is a spot to cut some serious weight. Stability depends on what you use for legs and how tall the legs are. It does quite well with the provided legs or trekking poles as short as they go. Once the trekking poles are extended you do lose some stability.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk

tdhanses

WKR
Checkout the KDC Granite Peak (site sponsor) with legs and head it weighs around 6oz depending on the height you want. When taking the weight of this adapter into consideration on weight you do need to add an extra trekking pole into the equation, we don’t all go with a partner.

mt100gr.

WKR
Lots of tradeoffs to consider when trying to go really light on a tripod. I like the OP trekking pole adapter as it makes your poles pull triple duty if they also serve as tipi poles.

I never realized how often I make quick height adjustments on my tripod until I used on without a center stem. Those adjustments are easier with the KDC tripod as the ball joints can just kick out wider or narrower for height adjustment. The above adapter would mean leg length adjustment.

I have threatened a few times to try the KDC but I always end up pretty content with my traditional style carbon tripod. Having multiple leg angles tho, is a must for me. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the poles clamp in at only one angle. Was this an obstacle at all?

Lots of tradeoffs to consider when trying to go really light on a tripod. I like the OP trekking pole adapter as it makes your poles pull triple duty if they also serve as tipi poles.

I never realized how often I make quick height adjustments on my tripod until I used on without a center stem. Those adjustments are easier with the KDC tripod as the ball joints can just kick out wider or narrower for height adjustment. The above adapter would mean leg length adjustment.

I have threatened a few times to try the KDC but I always end up pretty content with my traditional style carbon tripod. Having multiple leg angles tho, is a must for me. Correct me if I am wrong, but it appears that the poles clamp in at only one angle. Was this an obstacle at all?
Yes, the poles only go into this base at a fixed angle. Their FB page also has some good photos to maybe give you a little better idea. I met up with Luke (Red Mountain Gear), the other day and checked out this tripod base but I wasn't able to thread it into my spotter because it was a different size screw than what my spotter takes. Luke's going to get an adaptor made up so it will accept my scope and I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I've also toyed with the idea of getting the KDC but my biggest concern is that the legs might not be sturdy enough for my 4 lb. Swaro. I should probably just pick up a light wt. Kowa but man, I really like my HD 80mm glass.
https://www.facebook.com/redmtngear/

Last edited:

mcseal2

WKR
Yes, the poles only go into this base at a fixed angle. Their FB page also has some good photos to maybe give you a little better idea. I met up with Luke (Red Mountain Gear), the other day and checked out this tripod base but I wasn't able to thread it into my spotter because it was a different size screw than what my spotter takes. Luke's going to get an adaptor made up so it will accept my scope and I'm going to go ahead and buy it. I've also toyed with the idea of getting the KDC but my biggest concern is that the legs might not be sturdy enough for my 4 lb. Swaro. I should probably just pick up a light wt. Kowa but man, I really like my HD 80mm glass.

I liked my 80mm Swaro too but once I got the Kowa 55 I ended up selling it. I just didn't use it enough to justify keeping it. I do use binos off the tripod for the majority of my glassing though and mostly use the spotter just for evaluating game instead of locating it.

Beendare

WKR
I don't have any experience with the OP's system- its intriguing.

I've tried a few 'Light tripods over the years and some of the cheap Aluminum jobs work pretty darn good. The Sirui I have now is awesome, rock solid...but about 1.3 pounds heavier than my cheap aluminum tripod.. The Sirui will hold a heavy scope or a big set of 15x binos even in the wind.

The question; Is there another UL tripod system you like that's about a pound?
Any more feedback on the OP's unit?

That Granite gear system is too light duty for me.......... PM's welcome.

tdhanses

WKR

Yeah I wouldn’t use the KDC with your 4lb spotter.

Appalaskan

Lil-Rokslider
Did you end up getting the Red Mtn system? If so, what’d you think? Been checking out his products, but haven’t seen much feedback on them anywhere.

that’s cool, I love dual purpose gear.

I currently use a TFCT 24L Really Right Stuff that is 3.5# with bottom two leg sections removed. This is a serious tripod rated at 70# capacity.

RRS makes their TFC 14 at 2.5#. You can remove bottom leg sections and be down to about 1.75# with their micro ball head. Again serious tripod and weight capacity.

My Granite Peak works great for binos and is sub pound.

there was another post on here a while ago with a company that made an adapter to turn trekking poles in to a tripod.

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Kramer designs corp. i have his tripod and bipod. Tripod is 8oz

I've been using his all season (turns out he's almost down the road from me, sent me an email that I could save shipping if I drove over :D) and very pleased with it. My Leupold 10x42's don't have a place to add a stud, so I use their rubber/velcro holder- turns out that makes a decent rifle rest too.

xpYcha9.jpg

TimothyJ

FNG
Very nice! I saw something similar online several years back and made one out of wood. Mine just has holes and no adjustment screws, but it has worked well.

Interesting thread, I’m currently looking at this, the wiser quick stix tripod setup, and the tricer GTP-III as some of the 3 lightest systems I’ve seen that utilize trekking poles as legs.

Really interested to see if someone has had their hands on this vs the Tricer GTP-III in particular. I’ll be staying tuned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I used the GTP-III in the Frank Church and another Backpack hunt in Arizona. I was very happy with the adjustability on different hillside angles

I've been using his all season (turns out he's almost down the road from me, sent me an email that I could save shipping if I drove over :D) and very pleased with it. My Leupold 10x42's don't have a place to add a stud, so I use their rubber/velcro holder- turns out that makes a decent rifle rest too.

xpYcha9.jpg
who makes the velcro bino holder. I have a dead on for my Leica geovids but man is it tight make me nervous

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ it’s made by Leupold, makes a decent platform for setting your rifle on too :)