Review my September Elk hunt clothing list. Help Appreciated.

sk1

WKR
Still just haven't personally had this experience unless it has rained.... Not saying it doesn't happen. Nothing wrong with gaiters in the early season, I just don't plan on using them..

At least now you have something to think about if you want them on your gear list or not... These guys have listed good reasons to consider it

Ozz08

WKR
You are 100% right. I just haven't been in a situation while bow hunting yet that grasses have gotten my pants so wet that there was enough moisture to run down my legs and soak into my socks. Now pheasant hunting? Absolutely, and I wear full height gaiters every time for that. Like I said I wear my gaiters every trip as well just not necessarily for moisture control.

Trout bum

Lil-Rokslider
+1 on the wet feet without gaiters. Wet pants can turn into wet feet even with attack pants or other newer material pants. The portion of your socks above your boot draw water from pants into the boots. It really depends on where you hunt I guess. I use them to prevent that not so fresh trench foot feeling.

sk1

WKR
+1 on the wet feet without gaiters. Wet pants can turn into wet feet even with attack pants or other newer material pants. The portion of your socks above your boot draw water from pants into the boots. It really depends on where you hunt I guess. I use them to prevent that not so fresh trench foot feeling.

makes sense, i understand what you guys are talking about....i would think a smaller trail running gaiter would do the trick rather than wearing knee high gaiters?

Last edited:
Where I hunted in Idaho, along with where I went in CO last year I always found a way to find high grasses that were covered with dew in the morning. It soaked my pants. You could probably get away with a trail running gaiter, I just prefer the big gaiter because it doesn't weigh much and you don't notice them so I opt for more protection.