Review of Extreme Elk Magazine

I like the Extreme elk. Great magazine. I like that its not always about "horn." Not just monsters, but more for great stories. I too prefer bowhunts and mostly look for those and skip over the rifle hunts. I like the mag for the stories!! Gears reviews are nice, but stories are better.

I say less gear reviews and more stories. I too use the internet for reviews and not magazines. I like to see pics!!!

Or more sections from "elk" experts. Like BigDan on bowsite, Dan Evans. Guys who kills big bulls all the time.

OP
B

buglelk

FNG
I haven't seen extreme elk mag. However I do have some feedback. I subscribed to elk hunter mag this past year. I liked the mag. I like Nate, Paul etc...but I'm a bow hunter. I don't like to read a magazine thats got a bunch of rifle hunters posing with elk. I could have shot 24 bulls this last season with a rifle. Bow hunters understand. Easton's still does a bow only mag and that is why I continue to renew.

vcb, I think you would really like Extreme Elk Magazine...our last issue had 7 archery hunts, 2 backcountry rifle hunts, and one youth muzzleloader hunt. The Fall issue is our archery issue and is packed full of awesome archery stories as well.

As Aron mentioned, the entire staff at Extreme Elk Magazine, from the founders and owners to the story submitters, are just regular guys. We all have regular jobs (I own a construction company and Dirk works for Nightforce optics), and we want Extreme Elk Magazine to be a magazine that reflects that. There are no high fences, or low fences for that matter, just DIY, public land hunts....90% on OTC/general tags...the same way we hunt. Our vision was to create a fresh, new magazine that regular folks (you and I) can relate to. You wouldn't believe the number of e-mails we received after the first issue when we actually had 5-point bulls included in the stories...or when we put a 280" bull on the cover of Issue #2.

I greatly appreciate the feedback...we'll see what we can do to round out a few more technical columns in each issue. Thanks for the feedback and the support...the past year has been an amazing ride and we're just getting started. We hit 20,000 likes on Facebook yesterday and we'll have some BIG announcements coming out in the next few weeks. Stay tuned!

New member here on Rokslide. Love the site, great bunch of hardcore hunters here it looks like.

I like the magazine and plan on subscribing in the new future. Of the 3 I have read, I really like the layout and mix of stories. I really like that this magazine provides more OTC DIY hunts. I think that seeing an issue or half an issue dedicated towards youth elk hunters and/or women hunters. To draw the interest in more demographics and get my wife and daughter more excited about hunting, I think they could relate to other DIY hunters like them.

In addition to a max once in a lifetime hunt that has taken 10+ years, I think stories from avg joes or the magazine writers that take 2-5 years tp draw would also be good. I think it would provide hunters getting in the points game, that its possible to have a successful hunt that isn't considered a dream to most. Another thing that would be interesting to see is an article or follow along of the "weekend warrior" elk hunter. I understand its call Extreme Elk, but I know a few Extreme Weekend Warriors that hunt hard only on weekends.

Again, great magazine and keep up the good work. I am sure the magazine will continue to evolve and stay on the side of DIY elk hunters.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I posted on this awhile back I thought, maybe it didn't submit. But anyways it was in jest basically joking that the magazine sucked because when it came I am up all night reading the thing cover to cover and then I can't sleep when I am done because I am too high strung thinking about elk hunting.

If you don't subscribe to this magazine you should. It's one of only 3 that I get anymore, and from someone who used to get over 20 subscriptions a year, that says a lot!

Down to earth guys, letting us all put our "dream hunts" in print. Check it out.

LazyV

Lil-Rokslider
Terrific magazine, well worth the subscription. As others have noted the stories are great, good reviews on usefull gear, and its average guys being showcased instead of nothing but high dollar guided hunts.

huntwest

Lil-Rokslider
I received the free DVD a week ago. The DVD has to be one of the best hunting video's I've seen in a long time. I really look forward to my first issue!

Above Timber

Lil-Rokslider
I like the publication with a great mix of stories, gear reviews, and technical information. One thing I would like to and I think it was mentioned earlier is an article or two by some wildlife biologists. If you could get him to write something I think Chris Roe would be a great addition. Or have an article of map scouting full of edited map pictures and what you are looking at, or for while map scouting. How you use maps and sat. photos in conjunction to narrow down areas...

Felix1776

Lil-Rokslider
Is Extreme Elk still around? Tried searching for it but it keeps taking me to Western Hunter magazine.