Review of Extreme Elk Magazine

buglelk

FNG
Hey guys and gals!

By now you should have received the Spring 2013 issue of Extreme Elk Magazine...what did you think?

Specifically, we'd love your feedback on what was good and what we can improve upon.

Do you like the reader submitted stories by regular guys (public land, DIY)? Do you like the tips and tactics (Antler Tips, Into the Backcountry, Sacrifice/Reward)? Do you like Aron's gear reviews (Head to Head)? What about the "Elk Chuckles" at the end? Give us your feedback...this magazine is for regualr elk hunters, produced by regular elk hunters, so we want to know what you want to see!

We're working on the Summer 2013 issue right now, and you'll recognize a few Rokslide folks in there for sure! If you haven't yet subscribed, you can get a one-year subscription for $19.95 (add $4 S/H for the '30 Days' DVD) here:

http://www.elk101store.com/servlet/the-2/Extreme-Elk-Magazine--dsh-/Detail

Attachments

• Issue5cover_small.jpg
    Issue5cover_small.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 73
Elk chuckles made my day when i read this issue, it reminds me of a few friends i have. All in all i REALLY enjoy the magazine and like the fact that all the stories are from regular guys like me. Keep doing what your doing!

OP
B

buglelk

FNG
Hey Curtis C!

Yes, if you subscribe before March 15th, you'll get the mid-issue mailing of the Spring 2013 issue as your first issue.

jmez

WKR
I am not a fan of the reader submitted stories. Truth be told I don't even read those. Two per issue would be plenty IMO.

I would like to see more gear articles, tips and tactics. Would also be beneficial if you could find a biologist to write a column that pertains to what the elk are doing when the magazine comes out. Where they are, what they are eating specifically, what they are doing, etc

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reader stories are pretty much all the same drew great tag shot great bull or hunted this unit 10 and never knew a bull of this caliber lived here greatest hunt of my life. I will continue to subscribe love the gear reviews, and who doesn't love pictures of big bulls

OP
B

buglelk

FNG
realunlucky,

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same magazine? Extreme Elk is mostly OTC or general hunts....hunts 99% of us do. In fact, 4 of the 5 cover bulls have been from OTC hunts, not draw hunts, and everything is 100% public land. Our emphasis isn't on the size of the trophy, but on the quality of the adventure. If you're not a fan of reader submitted stories, I can respect that, but we don't have the standard "Imagine my surprise when I found out I drew a unit 10 tag" platform for the stories.

Keep the feedback coming, it will help us continue to mold Extreme Elk and make sure it continues to be a magazine real hunters relate to.

T43

Lil-Rokslider
I like the readers stories. More gear reviews would be good including a broader perspective from different people doing different hunts with the gear to get a better over all review.

realunlucky

Super Moderator
Staff member
realunlucky,

I just want to make sure we are talking about the same magazine? Extreme Elk is mostly OTC or general hunts....hunts 99% of us do. In fact, 4 of the 5 cover bulls have been from OTC hunts, not draw hunts, and everything is 100% public land. Our emphasis isn't on the size of the trophy, but on the quality of the adventure. If you're not a fan of reader submitted stories, I can respect that, but we don't have the standard "Imagine my surprise when I found out I drew a unit 10 tag" platform for the stories.

Keep the feedback coming, it will help us continue to mold Extreme Elk and make sure it continues to be a magazine real hunters relate to.

Just generalizing sorry. I just reviewed the last two issues plenty of great stuff in there but reader submissions are still my lest favorite part. Your still getting my money so you must be doing it mostly right anyway:)

Aron Snyder

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I have to agree w the sentiment regarding the reader submitted stories. I'm a regular guy. I'm a truck driver. I hunt the backcountry hard in mismatched, army surplus camo. The idea that the sponsored hunter athletes are regular guys is a bit far fetched....

Until a year ago, I worked in commercial glass, hanging out of buildings 5 days a week.

Most other "athlete hunters" work normal jobs as well.

Corey, the owner of Extreme Elk, works construction as well.

Corey,
I really like your columns. I think all hunters like to hear tactics and real life experience from highly successful hunters. To be honest, you can take your writings in the last few and call them Corey Chronicles. Their is a lot to learn from your calling success.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
For me I enjoy seeing the Average Joe like myself, who is not a sponsored hunter, not high fence hunting, hunting National Forest getting at it and getting it done. Keep it up Elk Extreme staff, you have come up with a well rounded magazine!

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I LOVE reader-submitted stories, especially OTC/General type hunts. But I don't mind hearing about dream unit hunts either.

I like the magazine, it has a good mix.

Xtorminator

Lil-Rokslider
I like the "reader stories". The stories of guys going out and taking nice bulls on open to the public ground and not on draw tags are the stories I like to hear. That is what makes the magazine to me. As far as gear reviews (sorry Aron) I like to come on forums and read open conversations about gear.

Travis Bertrand

Super Moderator
Staff member
It's a very well put together magazine. I'm not an elk hunter( if I ever draw a tag I might be). Seriously though. The layout and articles are well worth the coin. One of the best mags out and that's not a lie. My favorite part is all the articles on elk hunting as I'm not an elk hunter;) very informative.

Whisky

WKR
I agree with this:

I like the readers stories. More gear reviews would be good including a broader perspective from different people doing different hunts with the gear to get a better over all review.

And this:
I would like to see more gear articles, tips and tactics. Would also be beneficial if you could find a biologist to write a column that pertains to what the elk are doing when the magazine comes out. Where they are, what they are eating specifically, what they are doing, etc

At times the readers stories can get a bit repetitive. I still enjoy them, but would prefer a little more on the topics mentioned above thrown in as well. Maybe do a couple reader stories, then have an article on tips and tactics. Repeat with 1 or 2 readers stories, then an article on gear, etc. I've only read one magazine, so my experience with it is limited. But I think things like meat care, how to break down an elk, building arrows or reloading for elk hunting, tuning bows, etc would all be interesting..

I like to cook, I think a short "how to" with a different recipe for cooking elk in each magazine would be pretty popular as well. I nominate Becca! :D Or even the readers could submit their favorite recipes too.

All that said, as it is now, I do enjoy it.

Last edited:

vcb

WKR
I haven't seen extreme elk mag. However I do have some feedback. I subscribed to elk hunter mag this past year. I liked the mag. I like Nate, Paul etc...but I'm a bow hunter. I don't like to read a magazine thats got a bunch of rifle hunters posing with elk. I could have shot 24 bulls this last season with a rifle. Bow hunters understand. Easton's still does a bow only mag and that is why I continue to renew.

bandit1

FNG
I like it, probably my favorite mag right now. However, I do agree that an increased emphasis on gear reviews and maybe just a little less on reader submitted stories would improve the product. Lets face it, 95% of us are gear junkies, heck, I spend an inordinate amount of time on the lightweight backpacker and "thru hiker" forums and those folks would probably freak out at the thought that they're giving advice to a right wing, gun toting, Bambi killer. He he, I love it. All in all, well done to Extreme Elk Magazine...Bravo Zulu