REVIEW - Swarovski ATX85 vs. Kowa Prominar 884

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I'm curious how the Atx 95 would perform in that testing. Thanks for taking the time and investment to do this review Matt.

Thanks, dt.

I would speculate that the 95mm module should outresolve the Kowa with both spotters on 60x, due to the larger objective. However, the 95mm Swaro would have the additional advantage of going to 70x.

If i can find a 95mm module I will check it out.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
SC, remember that 7mm increase in diameter leads to more than 1000 square millimeters of increased surface area...

Shrek

WKR
With the bady being split on the ATX do you think you will have trouble with fogging and dust and dirt ? If you have to clean it repeatedly over time will the performance fade ? I wish the eyepieces were made integrated into the spotter. I know it would mean the spotter was fixed at whatever power it came with but for hunting it would mean one less thing to go wrong .

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
With the bady being split on the ATX do you think you will have trouble with fogging and dust and dirt ? If you have to clean it repeatedly over time will the performance fade ? I wish the eyepieces were made integrated into the spotter. I know it would mean the spotter was fixed at whatever power it came with but for hunting it would mean one less thing to go wrong .

Both units are fully sealed individually, and seal together when connected. The mount is bayonet style, and if one uses just the minimum care in connecting and disconnecting, it should not be a problem. Both the objective and body come with dedicated bayonet caps.

It is much like changing a lens on a camera.

Last edited:

aggieland

WKR
I wish I could afford the ATX but it's just to much $ for the amount of time I have in the field. Considering the Razor HD 85 if I make an upgrade this season, if not I will hold off and buy something like this over the next few years. Great review Matt!!

I wish I could afford the ATX but it's just to much $ for the amount of time I have in the field. Considering the Razor HD 85 if I make an upgrade this season, if not I will hold off and buy something like this over the next few years. Great review Matt!!

Me too wish I could have it. But dang too pricey for my blue collar lifestyle. Have to make due with the Razor 85

peddler

Lil-Rokslider
Peddler , any chance the 66mm Prominar scopes will be upgraded to use the Prminar eyepiece ? The size and weight combined with the complete Prominar system would be really tough to beat for sheep hunting or anywhere weight becomes the priority. A 30-60 wide angle Prominar eyepiece for the tsn 663 ?

Skrek, I'm sorry that I missed the post. I would guess nothing in the works at the present time. The 77 is available with the new zoom lens.

lee peet

FNG
Great review Matt, But could you clarify why you feel the kowa and the swaro out perform the zeiss with the 75x eyepiece?

Also have you had a chance to try the kowa out with there new 96x extender?