Reviews on Muley Freak bino harness

Tbeavers

FNG
I like the look of the muley freak harness but I'm curious what you guys think about them, I'm a little skeptical maybe just because the muley freak brand is pretty small and only make a few gear items, what are you guy's thoughts? would I be better off going with a bigger brand for warranty issues? if any

jmcd22

WKR
I bought one a few years ago and felt it was way overpriced. The straps stretched out big time and it kept nothing out at all. My binos were covered in dust almost immediately and if it rained at all, they were soaked. I bought a Kuiu harness last year and felt it is far superior. And not to cause a stir but I would do a search of the brand/owner and see if you want to support that. Just my two cents.

OP
Tbeavers

Tbeavers

FNG
Thanks a bunch, yeah I will definitely do some more research. I really don't want anything bulky. I've also been looking at FHF. I know a lot of guys have them.

jmcd22

WKR
Thanks a bunch, yeah I will definitely do some more research. I really don't want anything bulky. I've also been looking at FHF. I know a lot of guys have them.

I wanted the FHF initially but they were on backorder for a while. Really wanted the bino harness/fly fishing combo! The Kuiu can be bulky depending on the attachments you have but I like it. I think the FHF ones are pretty slim.

I bought one a little over a year ago. I like it, although my 10x50s are pushing the limits, makes it hard to access the few pockets that are on the harness while the binos are in it. I see they have a large size now. They don’t hold much so if you’re looking for a chest pack like some guys are, keep looking. I will also echo about doing your research. I bought before looking into them, I might not have had I researched first.

OP
Tbeavers

Tbeavers

FNG
good to know, thanks guys. I'm really looking for something as small as possible for the binos with maybe one pocket for a range finder, any experience with Marsupial?

OP
Tbeavers

Tbeavers

FNG
I herd chat about Kifaru and marsupial teaming up and making a harness, has anyone herd anything about this?

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
I used a FHF for around 5 years and my only complaint was the way that it opened. When I transitioned back to eastern whitetail hunting so years ago, I picked up a Marsupial and am very happy with it. Before I bought the Marsupial, I played around with a friend’s Muley Freak and was not a fan. It was too tight and difficult to get the lid off. I would’ve preferred to stay with the FHF over buy a Muley Freak. The only other one that I was interested in was from Outdoor Vision. I haven’t handled it but it looks to be on par with the Marsupial.

I have the stealth. I found it loud and fit was poor. I had an issue with the strap rubbing my neck. I did like the design and idea but over all it was not good. I have no experience with the new one.

OP
Tbeavers

Tbeavers

FNG
I used a FHF for around 5 years and my only complaint was the way that it opened. When I transitioned back to eastern whitetail hunting so years ago, I picked up a Marsupial and am very happy with it. Before I bought the Marsupial, I played around with a friend’s Muley Freak and was not a fan. It was too tight and difficult to get the lid off. I would’ve preferred to stay with the FHF over buy a Muley Freak. The only other one that I was interested in was from Outdoor Vision. I haven’t handled it but it looks to be on par with the Marsupial.
Does your marsupial fit tightly to your chest? that's my main frustration with the vortex harness I have now the bottom strap keeps the bottom of the harness close to my chest but the top always ends up tilting forward and making the whole system not sit tight to my chest.

Wright406

WKR
+1 on the Marsupial setup. Ive owned 5 different harnesses and love my Marsupial Gear. Not a fan of the MF brand anyways, the research alone reveals the companies true colors, not sure why other companies continue to support them but I guess with a big following companies ignore morals

jmazz

Lil-Rokslider
Does your marsupial fit tightly to your chest? that's my main frustration with the vortex harness I have now the bottom strap keeps the bottom of the harness close to my chest but the top always ends up tilting forward and making the whole system not sit tight to my chest.

Mine fits snug and I have no issues with it moving off my chest when I bend forward. If it helps I’m 5’9”/165lbs. When I first got it I modified my buckles thanks to this thread and I really prefer it this way.

Attachments

• D97891DC-4988-490F-ADA4-75AFE6CA674A.jpeg
    D97891DC-4988-490F-ADA4-75AFE6CA674A.jpeg
    568 KB · Views: 19

Grady.J

Lil-Rokslider
I've had a few different harnesses and currently use the fhf, and it's my favourite do far. I had an AGC cub, and felt it was a little too bulky and didn't like the lid. I switched to marsupial and really liked it, preferred the forward opening lid over the AGC's, and it was nice and low profile.

Recently picked up an FHF, partly because I like the way you can run bear spray on them the best, and partly because I just liked the look of em so figured I'd give them a shot. They're my new favourite. The backwards opening lid doesn't bother me at all like the AGC did, it moves out of the way better to put your binos back in, if that makes sense. With the marsupial, I liked that you could just leave the lid open if you were walking and glassing a lot, but it left the binos exposed, and opening and closing the lid isn't ideal if you're doing it all the time. While you can't leave the FHF open, I don't find the lid bothersome for access, and even if you don't bungee it shut all the time, it always provides a little bit of coverage for the binos. As well, the marsupial is open on the sides and can let debris in, and while the fhf is as well, it fits tight against the eye cups, keeping them cleaner.

Can't go wrong with any, but I'm liking the FHF best so far.

I have the previous gen of the regular and large muley freak harness i got in 2019/2020 and i like them for the most part. My 8x50 swaros barely fit in the large and its really hard to close but they're huge. Im also not the biggest guy, 6' tall 180lbs but i have a wide upper back and chest and i have the straps as tight as possible and had to run the bottom straps through the keepers a couple extra times to prevent them from coming loose and the harness still moves away from my chest a bit when i bend over which can be irritating. I will try to modify the top straps and remove the buckles, thats a good idea. There is a new version that looks like they improved on the issues i have with it but im sure theres better harnesses out there. The gun storage on the bottom is ok but its not easy to put your pistol back in if you draw it and like others said, all the incorporated pockets including this one arent very functional since the harness feels like its over stuffed with my swaros in it so i tend to run my pistol on my pack belt if i need it