Revising My Clothing System: synthetic or wool?

Synthetic or Merino/Wool given parameters listed below

• Synthetic

Votes: 8 26.7%
  • Merino/wool

Votes: 22 73.3%

• Total voters

Bunkin

FNG
Hey guys, I’ve been out of big game hunting for 5 years or so. I’ve done a fair bit of back packing in my early 20’s. Gear and clothing wasn’t really a focus as I was a poor college student. As I’m coming back now I’m looking to re do my layering system. Primary use will be back pack hunts.

I sweat heavily when hiking, so it’s a given that with any elevation gain that my shirt will be soaked and the top of my pants above my butt will also be soaked as well as my underwear.

I am evaluating going with either synthetic base and mid layers or merino/wool.

I understand that synthetic will dry fast, but wool will keep me warm when wet.

My current line of thinking is that I am leaning towards synthetic knowing that I will be getting wet and giving me the best chance of drying out.

I have my rain gear figured out and I have a Kuiu super down puffy. The rest of it needs to still be purchased.

I’m not tied to any particular brand.

thanks!

For backpacking my base layer short or long sleeve T is always wool because I can wear the same shirt the whole trip, 24/7. All other layers are synthetic or down for weight savings. On a short 2-3 day trip a synthetic base with antimicrobial treatment is fine too. The most effective way to lighten your pack is to bring less in the first place...extra shirts are not necessary if you have a good merino shirt.

I have no problems drying merino when wet...but if I’m hunting in the constant wet I do prefer good synthetics that dry out on my body quickly. I don’t think warm when wet is a good reason for merino. IMO you’re better off staying/getting dry when backpacking rather than expecting wool layers to keep you warm when damp. If you’re hunting in really wet conditions you may want synthetics for that reason alone.

For backpacking my base layer short or long sleeve T is always wool because I can wear the same shirt the whole trip, 24/7. All other layers are synthetic or down for weight savings. On a short 2-3 day trip a synthetic base with antimicrobial treatment is fine too. The most effective way to lighten your pack is to bring less in the first place...extra shirts are not necessary if you have a good merino shirt.

I have no problems drying merino when wet...but if I’m hunting in the constant wet I do prefer good synthetics that dry out on my body quickly. I don’t think warm when wet is a good reason for merino. IMO you’re better off staying/getting dry when backpacking rather than expecting wool layers to keep you warm when damp. If you’re hunting in really wet conditions you may want synthetics for that reason alone.

I personally have not seen any warmth benefits of wet merino vs wet synthetics (Mexico to Alaska). If it is hot and my clothing is wet, then it feels hot and wet. If it is cold and my clothing is wet, then it feels cold and wet. This is true with my lightweight, mid-weight, and heavy weight merino shirts/pullovers and the same with comparable synthetics.

Synthetics get rank after 1-2 days of use where as merino will last quite a bit longer. To me, this is the biggest benefit of merino in comparison to synthetics.

Since you are a heavy sweater, do a blended approach. Wear merino in the places that get stinky (crotch/butt/pits/feet) and wear synthetics elsewhere. For example, I have no qualms about running a merino SS shirt under a synthetic LS shirt. During periods of high activity that LS shirt comes off unless it is crazy cold. Depending on the weather, as soon as I stop to eat or glass I will throw on a piece of insulation to stay warm and to expedite drying out.

Since you are a heavy sweater, strip down to the bare minimum clothing for periods of activity that you will sweat. Then once you are idle put on your dry layers. This will help you dry out quicker but also allow your other layers to not get as stinky as quickly.

Vacrt2002

Lil-Rokslider
I actually layer wool over synthetic. Synthetic against my skin heavier wool outer layer.

I’m sweat HEAVY too! I wear nothing but a base top layer for the walk in and after I start to cool down a bit start adding heavier outer layers.

I used Merino for years and while it may keep you warm when wet if you are putting off heat and the wind isn’t hitting you or pushing that cold wet against you, I have gradually transitioned back to synthetic for my base. I typically wear a Peloton 118 SS or Sitka core lightweight ss then if I need another I may choose Merino or the Peloton 97 or 240 depending on the day. I found that these newer synthetics have such good treatment I really don’t stink much if I use deodorant and wipe my armpits before bed or after waking up with wet wipe or scent eliminator wipe. I also shave my armpits because I found most of the smell comes from your hair allowing bacteria to grow. I’m warmer and dryer with a synthetic base. Merino by nature drys slow and as it does it is pulling your body heat off of you so it’s not a terrible thing when it’s blistering hot but it’s a real negative the majority of the time for me around 60 or under.

slvrslngr

WKR
I wear a merino base layer then a synthetic on top. The synthetic helps pull moisture away from the base. Works for me, YMMV.

Jimss

WKR
Bottom line.....the name of the game for backpack hunting is #1 lightest weight possible, #2 less bulk possible. When I was updating my backpacking list several years ago for several dall sheep and mtn goat hunts in Alaska I weighed every piece of clothing and equipment I owned. Since that time I've revised my list and am always searching for ways to cut weight and bulk. None of my clothing is wool other than possibly a couple pairs of Smartwool socks. I never have problems staying warm and dry without wool. The new synthetic layering systems are pretty amazing.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
When I'm going to be sweating, I always choose a lightweight merino base top and bottom and then layer synthetic over those as needed. For me, the synthetic base layers is like knitted plastic pushing my sweat around on my skin. The merino absorbs the sweat and keeps it off my skin. That's what I prefer.

406unltd

WKR
Synthetic is all I will use. I have a couple pieces of merino but haven’t used them much since I got them. I’m not someone that spends 7-10 days in the same clothes either.

OP
B

Bunkin

FNG
Bottom line.....the name of the game for backpack hunting is #1 lightest weight possible, #2 less bulk possible. When I was updating my backpacking list several years ago for several dall sheep and mtn goat hunts in Alaska I weighed every piece of clothing and equipment I owned. Since that time I've revised my list and am always searching for ways to cut weight and bulk. None of my clothing is wool other than possibly a couple pairs of Smartwool socks. I never have problems staying warm and dry without wool. The new synthetic layering systems are pretty amazing.
Synthetic is all I will use. I have a couple pieces of merino but haven’t used them much since I got them. I’m not someone that spends 7-10 days in the same clothes either.

What particular pieces of clothing have you been successful with?

406unltd

WKR
When I ran Kryptek I used the Hyperion, and cronos for my first two layers. Now I’m using the core lightweight, and heavyweight for my first two. All have worked great and moved moisture pretty good. Any sort of breeze and exposing the first layer was dry in short order.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I like and use both. Synthetics tend to last a lot longer than wool. As others have said, wool prevent smells better. I can go 5 days in one pair of wool underwear without stink, only about 2 in synthetic.

Wool takes a long time to dry and holds a lot of water weight. If you will be constantly wet in cold conditions, get wool (thing open skif in southeast AK). However, for what is encountered hunting, both work well and it is nice to dry fast. I like light, wool synthetic blend base layers with everything else being synthetic or down.

Even 30 percent wool helps a lot with smell.

Jimss

WKR
I have a long list of layers so it's a little tough to list them all. Lots of camo patterns as well to match the vegetation the time of year I'm hunting. Some of the layers have been from trial and error. It's nice having a fairly large selection to pick from for the particular weather conditions that exist on each hunt. It's nice early in the season when the conditons are warm and dry because I don't have to lug around as many layers as late season hunting in cold conditions.

positivepete!

Lil-Rokslider
Wool socks changed my life. I used to have really stinky feet, since making the switch it's not an issue. I have been on the fence about dropping the money on wood undies. Synthetic has done well for everything else.

LJ Buck

WKR
If you are only worried about the moisture you are producing then wear whichever you like better. If your in a place where it’s always wet be of the environment then might want to swing the synthetic way. Sitka’s core does the best out of any in odor control.