Revolver or Semi Auto for Grizz Protection

I haven’t found revolvers to be exceptionally reliable

Curious, what kind of issues have you had with revolvers? For myself, I’ve been shooting revolvers much longer than I have semi autos, so I’m definitely more comfortable with them, and I can’t think of a single time when I’ve had an issue with a revolver. I have had semi autos stove pipe on me before, which wasn’t too comforting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Literally in the last 2weeks my S&w developed end shake. It won’t reliably ignite primers on DA. Does fine on SA but that’s not ideal.

Worse case Ontario to try to send it on right now.

Our boat pistol one season was a k frame 357. It developed cylinder timing issue within 1500 rounds or so. It would spray you with lead. Which is super entertaining, until a piece gets stuck in ur cheek.

And my airweight had problems locking up when it’d get dirty. I don’t know the technical jargon but it would basically freeze up.

Maybe it a S&w issue but I know my buddies ruger Blackhawk crapped the bed super early.

Had issues with my Taurus 85 but that’s not an indictment on anything. Taurus are junk.

Jardo

WKR
I own a ruger Redhawk 44. I train with a glock. My 44 is fun to shoot, but it’s not a weapon I want to take to a fight.

If a bear is attacking you, you are in a fight. Bring the best weapon you have to a fight and a glock with one in the chamber gives you the best chance IMHO.

Big revolvers are awkward at best. If it was the best choice, law enforcement and military would still carry it. And yes, I would prefer an AR15 over a lever action too.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dieNqvrs

Lil-Rokslider
I live in SE AK where brown bears are a daily consideration. I own a ruger .44 and a glock 10mm. I have not used the .44 since buying the 10mm. My reasoning is this
1. The glock is way more comfortable and easy to carry, which means I'm more likely to carry it.
2. I shoot it better.
3. I have 15 chances to make a good hit vs 6.
4. There is more potential energy / ftlbs of force in a magazine of 15 10 mm than a cylinder of 6 .44 mag. (Also realizing you probably won't get all 15 shots off).
5. Easier to shoot one handed if needed.

However, having been charged by a brown bear I will say carry what you are comfortable with and comes second nature because you wont have time to think when it does happen.

YETI is right on IMO.

Living in Kodiak my wife bought me a S&W 500. I religiously carried if for years. As the lack of issues waned on, I started leaving it at home/in the truck because of the hassle and weight. I eventually sold it when I Never carried it even when I knew I would encounter bears due to the PITA weight and inconvenience . I sold it, upgraded to a G20 10MM w/ DT hardcast and carry it with me everywhere now. If it is cumbersome you won't like it and will talk yourself out of needing to carry it.

fasteddie

FNG
Either one, because what you should have on your chest and grab first is bear spray. Spray is way more effective at quickly deterring an encounter. If that doesn’t work, then shoot it. But if you shoot it first, the chances are slim that your shots will incapacitate the bear before it mauls you. And it is super important that the spray is on your chest or the front of your belt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Having never needed to deal with a bear other than looking at it:

1. You need something that you are quite comfortable operating. You need time in it. Operating it needs to be second nature.
2. You need a round in the chamber. Last thing you need is to have to fiddle with something before you can use it in a high stress situation.
3. Bullet choice is important as you need penetration. Your choice in weapon needs to reliably use said ammo.

Revolvers a great because as long as it will actually fit in the gun, you can use all kinds of bullets with all kinds of loads and the gun will still work..... with the caveat that there is proper crimp on a heavy recoiling round. You'll need practice time with a Double Action Revolver Trigger, but once you get it, most other triggers will be easy to learn.

Autoloaders are nice because of the capacity. No doubt about that.

I'd probably stick with what you got, but get some good ammo with a good deep penetrating bullet that reliably feeds in the gun. Spend time shooting it, I'd probably put a couple hundred rounds through it with the ammo you intend to use.

Woodrow F Call

Lil-Rokslider
Literally in the last 2weeks my S&w developed end shake. It won’t reliably ignite primers on DA. Does fine on SA but that’s not ideal.

Worse case Ontario to try to send it on right now.

Our boat pistol one season was a k frame 357. It developed cylinder timing issue within 1500 rounds or so. It would spray you with lead. Which is super entertaining, until a piece gets stuck in ur cheek.

And my airweight had problems locking up when it’d get dirty. I don’t know the technical jargon but it would basically freeze up.

Maybe it a S&w issue but I know my buddies ruger Blackhawk crapped the bed super early.

Had issues with my Taurus 85 but that’s not an indictment on anything. Taurus are junk.

That's pretty bad. The only issue I've ever had with several of the guns you mentioned is when the extractor rod backed out. I tightened it up and never had an issue since. That's on a Taurus 605 that I've put a few thousand rounds through and was well used when I got it.

I've got a 642 that works well, but probably not as heavily used as the Taurus. I've also had several blackhawks that worked just fine.

I'm really wondering what the details were with your guns. (I'm not doubting you, I just like understanding.)

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Alaska guy here, I hunt in Bear country a lot and I run a bear bait station so bear awareness and preparedness are always pretty fresh in my mind. My rifle is my first line of defense, my hand gun (Glock 20 10mm) is only if I dont have my rifle in hand the moment I ever need it. Ive walked out a lot at night in the pitch black from my bear stand after hearing bear around me so its sometimes an "exciting" walk out lol but someone hit it on the head when they mentioned having good light. when I am walking out at night I sling my rifle and have my 10mm handy because it has a light on the end. Id hate to have to use a rifle at night just with my headlamp, I think it would be confusing.

10mm with 200-220 hard cast is my bear selection.

OP
270quest

270quest

WKR
Appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a rifle hunt, so I will have a 7 Rem Mag with me as well. However, I do think I will stick with a semi auto firearm. I have my 4" XD 40 that I am going to see how it shoots with heavy 200 grain DT loads and practice with it more (stressful, quick fire situations)

My biggest thing is going to be getting comfortable carrying one in the chamber, especially with it strapped to my chest. Going to get the kenai chest holder and use it this spring and summer (bear hunting, camping, fishing) with a round chambered to build up that confidence.

I may look at a G20 as well - mainly cause I always wanted one.

LK2HNT

Lil-Rokslider
Appreciate everyone's feedback. This is a rifle hunt, so I will have a 7 Rem Mag with me as well. However, I do think I will stick with a semi auto firearm. I have my 4" XD 40 that I am going to see how it shoots with heavy 200 grain DT loads and practice with it more (stressful, quick fire situations)

My biggest thing is going to be getting comfortable carrying one in the chamber, especially with it strapped to my chest. Going to get the kenai chest holder and use it this spring and summer (bear hunting, camping, fishing) with a round chambered to build up that confidence.

I may look at a G20 as well - mainly cause I always wanted one.

Id rather have a 10mm than a 9 but IF thats all you can afford right now its a much better option loaded up with a hard cast heavy bullet than throwing rocks at the bear. The chances that you will need it are very slim, the chances of encountering a bear big enough that 9mm doesnt phase it are even slimmer.

Being from Canada, what size ball bearing would you all recommend for my grizz protection? It would be for a wrist rocket NOT a slingshot?

Did I mention that our f@cked government doesn’t allow us to carry anything more powerful than a rubber band powered stone thrower. 🙄

Fun tracking wounded bears in thick reprod with just a bow hey?

My advice, get the longest barreled dirty Harry gun you can, intimidation is everything with grizzer bars. Supposed to also yell the words stop, no and don't in a firm voice, let them know you're not an easy victim. Or was that women's self defence? :ROFLMAO: Don't mind me, I'm just jealous you guys are able to protect your own life from those bastards.

SteveCNJ

WKR
Classified Approved
Selling a very lightly used Ruger Redhawk 44 mag 5 1/2 in barrel. If interested pm me.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Since the glock 10mm seems to be a favorite, would anything be wrong running my XD 40 with hot loads such as Double Tap 200 grain Hard Casts?
I carried a Springfield Armory XD-40 4" barrel as my main duty weapon for the last 12 years of my career. I also carried an XD-40 sub-compact in an ankle holster as a back-up each and every day. On my days off the sub-compact was carried on my ankle unless I had shorts on and then I carried it in a hip holster. Of course you would want to use a chest holster or a hip holster for the usage you are describing. My sub-compact XD-40 was subjected to a lot more dirt, dust, snow, water, and it worked and always fired. I just wanted to give an example of how reliable a good quality pistol is and the abuse they can take and still function properly.

I like the 4" on the XD. It is not too large to be cumbersome and carries nicely. The sub-compact has a 3" barrel which I also like a lot. In fact I shoot the sub-compact XD better than the 4"! I know that's not supposed to work that way but it does. Your shots will most likely be pretty close too so a shorter barrel like either of these is not an issue. Like many have said, if it's too big or difficult to carry then you won't have it on when you need it.

Both of these pistols always had a round in the chamber. It does no good if you don't have one chambered. You can carry either of these with a round chambered with confidence that it won't accidentally fire a round. Yes have a holster that shields the trigger and trigger guard.

The 40 S&W is very close to the 10mm in real life performance and I don't think you will short change yourself by carrying the 40. It's a good cartridge and you have an excellent loading/bullet choice listed. As many folks have said try those out in your Springfield and make sure they reliably work in your pistol. If not try another similarly loaded round. I never had a failure to feed or any issues shooting my Springfield. Every time I pulled the trigger it went bang. That's what you need and there certainly are other pistols that are just as reliable. Glock, Sig, S&W, Ruger, are just a few that come to mind.

S&W is making a 10mm in a revolver now and that would be a decent carry pistol. If it were me and I did choose a pistol, I would go with a 3 or a 4 inch barrel on a revolver. They are just a nice size and make them simple to carry. Another option instead of the 10mm or the 44 mag which have been listed, folks have kind of forgotten about the 41 mag. It's almost identical to the 10mm in power and is a bit more friendly to shoot than the 44 mag or something larger. I started working and carried a S&W Model 28 with a 4" barrel in 357 magnum. That pistol in the 41 mag would be terrific.
Not really any flies on a 357 magnum too if you should decide to get a revolver at some point. The Model 686 with 7 round capacity is a bit more stream-lined than the Model 28 would be a good choice also. A 3 or 4" barrel would be my pick.

I would feel comfortable carrying your XD-40 with the 4" barrel. Find a good appropriate load that feeds and functions fine and practice. Wouldn't hurt to carry an extra magazine either and a simple single mag belt holder would work just fine. I hope this helps.

David

One thing I would suggest when you are practicing to make sure your rounds are feeding reliably would be to shoot quite a few rounds one handed and several times don't have a real stiff arm when you are firing and let the recoil push you hand back a bit. Not to the point that you will drop the pistol, but let it recoil freely. That's just another way to check to make sure the rounds will feed each and every time. There might be a situation where you are shooting one handed or two handed but you cannot really grip down on the pistol when you shoot. The situation you are in might make it hard to grip it properly. I would try that with each of the loadings that you are looking at. Best of luck. A term we used for it was "limp wristed".

Last edited:

eamyrick

WKR
Quick question from reading these threads for years. Generally we have very little data on bear defense with pistols during active charges. Less than 250 for sure. We have a ton (1000s) of cases where cops have shot people higher than a kite trying to eat their face off and the offender feels zero pain and must be stopped with a CNS incapacitation. How do these two situations realistically differ other than a need for a tougher bullet due to the bears density?