RF Binos vs. Standard

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
In the market for a new set of binos and was wondering what people have to say about binos with the range finder built in verses having binos and a separate range finder. Primarily I hunt with a bow but do also rifle hunt. I’ve never used a pair of binos with the RF built in and wonder how it is sneaking into bow range trying to use large binos vs a small rangefinder. Thanks in advance.

handwerk

WKR
Not sure about bowhunting needs, but I've been using for rifle hunts leica geovids for years and continue to be impressed.
I've owned some of the top tier glass by Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica and enjoyed them all but kept the Geovids as I like not needing a separate RF and after 10+ years of a couple generations of Geovids I've not had one issue when it comes to function, still my favorite hunting bino.

twall13

WKR
I can certainly see the appeal of a range finding binocular but chose not to go that route personally. My reasoning is that I wanted a pair of binoculars that can last a lifetime and electronic components pretty much negate that. I'll update/upgrade my rangefinder every 7 to 10 years but shouldn't have to do that with my binos.

My dad does have the Lieca rangefinding binos and they really are fantastic glass. When hunting with him I've seen how it can be quicker to range an animal as soon as you spot it with your binos, but that comes into play rifle hunting more than archery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

COwineguy

Lil-Rokslider
I agree with twall13 I like alpha glass and it will last a lifetime. Electronics seemed to be out dated as soon as they hit the shelf. I like the idea of the RF bino but have never been able to get around the rate at which technology makes its self irrelevant so quick.
Cheers

Trr15

WKR
I can certainly see the appeal of a range finding binocular but chose not to go that route personally. My reasoning is that I wanted a pair of binoculars that can last a lifetime and electronic components pretty much negate that. I'll update/upgrade my rangefinder every 7 to 10 years but shouldn't have to do that with my binos.

My dad does have the Lieca rangefinding binos and they really are fantastic glass. When hunting with him I've seen how it can be quicker to range an animal as soon as you spot it with your binos, but that comes into play rifle hunting more than archery.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

I went with a pair of EL range Binos but I struggled with this same issue prior to the purchase. I finally decided that the benefits of having both in one unit was too appealing to pass up, and if/when the electronics fail, I’ll still have alpha glass. Still not sure I made the right decision, but definitely liking the Binos so far. Time will tell I guess.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnnyB

WKR
I used my Leica rangefinding binos this archery season for the first time. I love the glass and function and wanted to commit to sticking with them during archery.

My issue is getting them out stealthily. They are too big for the Badlands bino harness so I used an FHF. Difficult to draw smoothly with the FHF. I love the simplicity of the FHF and will stick with it during rifle, but I may switch back to a separate rangefinder for archery season next year unless I find a suitable solution.

Trial153

WKR
I used a set of EL ranges for six months or so of archery hunting. I was happy to go back to a separate rangefinder. I didn’t like having to use them one handed while my bow was in my other hand as i prepared for a shot. I feel that smaller ranger finder dangling on a lanyard is more user friendly. I can drop it with out re casing it. The binos I have to slide in and out of my harness every time I need a range. The only advantage to them I saw was at it was nice to know at the yardage at longer distances while stalking. Other than that a hand held range finder wins out for me.

bradb

WKR
I have had both and still prefer separates. Just easier to me to pull up a separate Rf for a quick check, be it bow hunting or behind the rifle in various postions

OP
J

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
A few of you hit it on the head. I was a little concerned with the noise and it movement using binos in close vs a range finder. Leaning towards staying with a Bino and separate range finder.

Myronman3

Lil-Rokslider
Not to mention....swaro EL range do not have the same glass as the ELs. I want the best glass i can get, so the ranges are not an option.

Latest posts

Featured Video

Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
TheRealGerman