RF vs. RF Binos

lintond

WKR
I'd like to poll the audience on the subject of using RF Binos vs. a separate bino and RF. A little background.... I need to upgrade my current RF so that I can get better ranges at long ranges for rifle hunting/practice. Currently I'm running the Maven B2 9x45 which I've been happy with minus they are a little heavy. The two questions I have are: 1) Not sure how I feel about using binos to range close in during archery season...thoughts? 2) Without getting into the Leica/Swaro level of RF binos will I be giving up bino performance by going to the Sig or Vortex.

gr8fuldoug

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
The Sig BDX3000 10x42 is a very reliable rangefinder incorporated into a good binocular. No, not the best binocular, but a solid good binocular. We've sold hundreds of these and the feedback has been that for the money it is surprisingly good. Yes, a $2,000+ Leica will be much better optically. The question is how good are your eyes and is a good quality vs a great quality optic good enough for your need

Jordan

Lil-Rokslider
I was in your shoes a little while ago and decided to go with the separate range finder and binos. I went that way because I have not picked up a rifle in awhile and don’t plan on it anytime soon. I’ve pretty much committed to only hunting archery at this point. The Bino/range combo for me was cumbersome. I do like the field of view they allow though, makes it really nice when your looking for a buck in the brush or at low light. I’m sure I could get used to the Bino/range combo but in close I like just having the range finder, seems to be easier and doesn’t get in the way of my shot if I don’t put it back in its holder. If I was a rifle hunter though I don’t think you could talk me out of getting the combo. Haven’t looked through either of the binos you mentioned so can’t comment on that. Good luck, lots of options out there!

CBreeze

FNG
Once you’ve had RF binos for a while there’s really no going back. Ranging as you glass becomes just part of your process- it’s just more information for your brain. It almost makes my other binocular feel broken- using them I feel deprived the same way I do going from liecas to diamondbacks or something. It leaves me feeling deprived. My brain responds similarly to the lack of ranging as it does to a lack of resolution. If my eyes present a shit image To my brain it sort of says back “what do you want me to even do with this?” And it kind of does the same thing now if it isn’t presented with a range accompanying the image.

I do a lot of glassing as I still hunt- this will be stuff from 25-100 yards out- not the best place for my 10xs, but trying to use a 6x monocular to both scan that stuff and range isn’t effective and I prefer the bino. To me It needs to be binos to really glass into and between branches and shadows even up close that way. I have a 6x LRF but I never carry it. What it really comes down to is your style come archery- do you use binos as you still hunt? If so- then they may as well range for you too. The answer is have both. I wish there was a 6x compact geovid. I’d buy it yesterday for use in the timber over the 10x geovid

wysongdog

WKR
A few years ago I set my range finder down while bow hunting elk and left it there. I never could find it again and it cost me a shot on a fine bull. I bit the bullet and bought a set of swaro el range binos and love them. But I also still carry my small range finder for bow hunting so I have a backup plan in case I suffer from head up a$$ syndrome again

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
A few years ago I set my range finder down while bow hunting elk and left it there. I never could find it again and it cost me a shot on a fine bull. I bit the bullet and bought a set of swaro el range binos and love them. But I also still carry my small range finder for bow hunting so I have a backup plan in case I suffer from head up a$$ syndrome again

Hopefully you don’t leave your swaros behind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mt100gr.

WKR
I'm not a fan of electronics in my binocular. Stand alone RF for me. If one or the other sh!ts the bed, i don't lose both for a warranty job.

For archery I much prefer the smaller unit on a coil. Just easier for me to discretely range and return. Also, the lower magnification at closer ranges is easier for my eyes to go from ranging back to my peep and pins.

I've played with the swaros and the zeiss RF bino units and they're damn nice, I just like to have separate optics for those roles.

Jbehredt

WKR
Never seen the allure of combining the two. I’ve got binoculars that I hope will last the rest of my life. Rangefinders come and go more often than that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm not a fan of electronics in my binocular. Stand alone RF for me. If one or the other sh!ts the bed, i don't lose both for a warranty job.

For archery I much prefer the smaller unit on a coil. Just easier for me to discretely range and return. Also, the lower magnification at closer ranges is easier for my eyes to go from ranging back to my peep and pins.

I've played with the swaros and the zeiss RF bino units and they're damn nice, I just like to have separate optics for those roles.

I agree and might I add that having a rangefinder that has a lower magnification is easier to use. I wouldn't want a rangefinder with 10x or more magnification since it becomes more difficult to hold steady. That's why most rangefinders are below 8x. Even less is better.

Also, the weight of holding a rangefinder one handed is important for archery.

Moneyball

WKR
I have gone both routes. I had Zeiss Victory RF binos and got rid of them to go for a binocular with separate rangefinder. They were really nice dont get me wrong.

Typically the glass in the rangefinding binos is not the same as the equal model that does not have a rangefinder built in, like the EL series. That is what I have been told and seems to be true from what I have read. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I found that with the rangefinding binos (I had 10X) that when an animal was in bow range I would have to undo my bino case lid, take out the binos, range, reinsert the binos and at 10X sometimes ranging things in bow range is really crowded/overpowering in the binos, not to mention a lot more difficult to hold steady one handed if bow hunting. They also usually dont hold their value as well due to the "old" technology that will be obsolete in a year or so. Not saying that they all do, thats just what I experienced.

I currently use a KUIU range finder holder that I have modified for one hand use and when I am in close i can undo the lid and have very easy access. It is attached to my bino case and has a bungee cord which makes it easy to grab the rangefinder (with the modification that I did my pointer finger is already on the "range" button), range, drop it, OR set it back in the open range finder holder which is less movement and quite a bit easier for me. That's just my experience.

I think if you only use a rifle rangefinding binos can be a great asset. It all depends on your application and what works for you. Some folks may have both, whatever works!

I went to RF binos this year. I like them when I have a gun but I plan to carry a smaller range finder for archery. It’s just more movement to pull the binos out due to the size.

CAhunter

Lil-Rokslider
It seems like the technology improves every year on range finders while the quality of glass does not. To me it makes the most sense to have separate units and upgrade just your range finder more frequently rather than a far more expensive combo unit.

handwerk

WKR
I've had different generations of 10x42 geovids for 10+ years and continue to be very happy with them.
I have been using the same HD-R ones for the last 5 and they continue to impress, enough that I sold off my swaro SV's. I get if you're a bow hunter they might not be the best fit, but for my rifle hunting I don't see going back to separate units as I've never had an issue with any of my geovids.

tdhanses

WKR
I won’t go back to separate but I still have a stand alone RF as backup. First year using it was a learning process for archery but that is easily remedied by leaving them out of the case hanging off tether’s.

OP
lintond

lintond

WKR
Love the input! Think I’ll stick with separate although if I win the lotto I’ll just get them all. :)

I forgot about the loss of value and constant tech improvements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Beendare

WKR
I ran the Leica Geovids for about 7 years ran binos and a RF for a couple decades before that....sold the Geo's ...found out I prefer a bino and separate RF.

Many reasons why really....mainly the combo units are heavy.......and don't give me as many options as with the 2 units. Sometimes I like my lower power bino....sometimes I drop the bino with my pack on a stalk...movement in critical situations with the RF is a little less....etc.

Different strokes though.....

JBenz63

FNG
I had the Vortex fury 10x42s when they first came out. It is super nice to quick range everything while hiking or just glassing. The only concerns I had is 1. Not really ranging as far as I would like for land marking and 2. I found it somewhat difficult to quick range while bow hunting. Target acquisition seemed to be harder with both eyes in the binos at that 100 yards in. However with rifle hunting it was fantastic

bradb

WKR
I have had a couple different RF binos and for a guide I think they would be a great way. For me personally I MUCH prefer Separate bino and rf. ITs just much easier to just slip a small RF up for a range then the bino rf. It really isn't close for me. Bow or gun