RF with ballistic solver: Love it or leave it?

OutdoorAg

WKR
I need a new RF. My leupold crapped the bed. Well, the OLED did. And since a 2 digit read out of a 3 digit distance won’t work, I’m shopping.

I’ve never used a solutioning RF. Currently I:

Range
Check drop chart on stock
Dial or hold
Shoot

For those of you with a ballistic RF, does the elimination of step 2 (check chart) make a big difference in the field? Or is a ballistic RF only really useful if pairing with kestrel and other tech for true LR shooting off bench and game.

FWIW, I’m a 600 yard maxer on game.

Other positives to the solvers in RF:
  1. Data at the actual Range, not in between set ranges on your dope card
  2. Data with actual atmospherics - this can be slightly impacted by your RF riding in a warm pocket rather than exposed openly to environment
I think the above two items increase your likelihood of having the best firing solution. That said if you have good data and understand how conditions impact it, there probably isn't a huge functional benefit to having a solver over good dope cards for 600 yd max range. You're probably talking what, 5 seconds if your chart is readily accessible?

FYI, Leupold will give you a heck of a deal on a replacement despite the old unit being out of warranty, or at least in my case and others I heard of that had display failures. If they have something you want in their product line it is worth asking them about it.

I will never go back to a system that can't do it all in one. My Kilo2400 has helped me kill multiple animals that I would never have been able to kill if I needed to run a solver as a separate step.

While I like having my solver built in to the actual range finder, I would be just as happy with a rangefinder that could talk to a secondary device and give the same immediate solution.

WCB

WKR
In my opinion and what I use....There is nothing @ 600 yards that I would need a ballistic app or solver for that can't be taped to my stock. My range finder gives me the actual shoot to distance I glance at the stock dial and shoot.

I do however have charts for a few different elevations and temperatures and switch them out before hunts. Killed a lot of animals out to 700ish at all kind of angles and haven't missed a shot yet.

Now If you have a range finder that just tells you the dial up when you range I don't see a negative.

Whisky

WKR
I'm half way through the second season with my Sig Kilo 2400 ABS. I love it!
I had a shit show once, in a hunting situation, trying to get a Kestrel to pair with an app in my phone. 10 minutes later I successfully took the shot.
Now, I can take the shot in 10 seconds or less.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I need a new RF. My leupold crapped the bed. Well, the OLED did. And since a 2 digit read out of a 3 digit distance won’t work, I’m shopping.

I’ve never used a solutioning RF. Currently I:

Range
Check drop chart on stock
Dial or hold
Shoot

For those of you with a ballistic RF, does the elimination of step 2 (check chart) make a big difference in the field? Or is a ballistic RF only really useful if pairing with kestrel and other tech for true LR shooting off bench and game.

FWIW, I’m a 600 yard maxer on game.

I'll second the SIG KILO2400. Mine has been solid! I've had it for 3years or so now. No issues and no misses...except for wind calls from time to time. but thats on me. haha. It's now my backup as I bought a pair of Zeiss RF Binos.

JakeSCH

WKR
I always used holdovers with a drop chart taped to stock (been successful).

This year I made the plunge into the sig2400abs and glad I did. It is not really "needed" but it is VERY nice to have and more efficient.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
Thanks for all the input.

If Leupold was offering a Sig2400 equivalent, I would call them and see about replacing my burnt out display RF. Maybe if I sit around until next year they will...

I can't do an RF Bin right now. Nothing impresses me.

Leica Geovid: HUGE binos. I'm not carrying those around
Ziess Victory: Bad range button placement
Sig Kilo: Subpar glass and diopters suck

tdhanses

WKR

If Leupold was offering a Sig2400 equivalent, I would call them and see about replacing my burnt out display RF. Maybe if I sit around until next year they will...

My Leica Geovid hd-b isn’t any bigger then my Swaro EL’s were, just heavier. I guess they are huge if you use 5x20 binos, but as far as 10x42’s go they are not huge.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
My Leica Geovid hd-b isn’t any bigger then my Swaro EL’s were, just heavier. I guess they are huge if you use 5x20 binos, but as far as 10x42’s go they are not huge.

I’m use to SLC’s, so to me, the Geovid is much larger.

If I could make the perfect RF Bino, it would be:

SLC HD glass
Sig solver
Swaro support
Vortex warranty

Until that shows up, I’ll be using 2 devices. Sounds like the Sig solver RF has impressed quite a few.

How’s the glass in the sig RF? I’m weary bc I have used a Leica RF in the past and the image was incredible.

tdhanses

WKR

SLC HD glass
Sig solver
Swaro support
Vortex warranty

Until that shows up, I’ll be using 2 devices. Sounds like the Sig solver RF has impressed quite a few.

How’s the glass in the sig RF? I’m weary bc I have used a Leica RF in the past and the image was incredible.
I’ve only used the handheld sigs so no clue about the rf bino but I can’t imagine the glass is close.

SLC HD glass
Sig solver
Swaro support
Vortex warranty

I use the 2400 ABS and have had sig 1600b in the past. Glass is plenty good, can't say that is something i'm particularly critical of on a 6x handheld rangefinder though.

I would use Geovids if I trusted them to work in cool temps. Had 2 separate pairs stop working once temps sunk below the 40s..

Brendan

WKR
Another Sig Kilo 2400ABS user as well. I had to make a quick shot this year and it was range, gives you the MOA (or MIL) to dial in the RF, dial, shoot.

Then come archery season, quick switch of the mode and I'm using angle modified range.

Bzn_Hunter

Lil-Rokslider

I actually had the Zeiss, Leicas and Swaro's in my possession for a review a week or so ago and they are all about the same size. they all easily fit into my FHF Medium harness without adjustment. I'll admit I did think the Leica's were bigger until I had them side by side. As for the button on the zeiss, it does take a little getting used too.

Attachments

• Binos.jpg
    Binos.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 12

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
Honestly. If it's a poke and you have time to setup you can pull ballistics from a phone app just as easy. I use shooter and now that my profile is tuned.. it's just easy. If I had a Kestrel I could run that too.

The only Benefit to a rf would be speed,( if it's sensors are at ambient). Otherwise, just practice your methods and become proficient.

I also have a conx setup but the phone is easier than waiting on bluetooth to setup. I've never not had my phone operational when I needed to shoot, but I do have backup lithium packs on me just in case.

Honestly. If it's a poke and you have time to setup you can pull ballistics from a phone app just as easy. I use shooter and now that my profile is tuned.. it's just easy. If I had a Kestrel I could run that too.

The only Benefit to a rf would be speed,( if it's sensors are at ambient). Otherwise, just practice your methods and become proficient.

I also have a conx setup but the phone is easier than waiting on bluetooth to setup. I've never not had my phone operational when I needed to shoot, but I do have backup lithium packs on me just in case.
I felt the same way too until I got my Kilo2400. I have now killed animals I 100% would not have been able to shoot if I had to run my data through the phone. The phone system works just fine, it just is nowhere near as fast.

magtech

Lil-Rokslider
I felt the same way too until I got my Kilo2400. I have now killed animals I 100% would not have been able to shoot if I had to run my data through the phone. The phone system works just fine, it just is nowhere near as fast.
I respect your point but I see a slim margin of opportunity when I am shooting something at 500+ yards where I dont have the chance to do a proper setup. When in country my phone is always loaded up with atmospherics relative to altitude etc.

At those distances I havent been burdened by the extra 30 seconds. I have a conx that I keep on point for the area as well. I've verified the dope on it on multiple occasions.. But again, the extra 30 seconds to verify scenarios in a phone BC has never been an encumbrance.

Does the sig/kestrel matchup work great. Yes... Am i shoveling out 1500-2k for it. Hell no. It's an unnecessary luxury at that point.

If i was going luxury and wanted to blow my load i'd just buy a Trijicon Ventus and be done with guessing.

OP
O

OutdoorAg

WKR
I actually had the Zeiss, Leicas and Swaro's in my possession for a review a week or so ago and they are all about the same size. they all easily fit into my FHF Medium harness without adjustment. I'll admit I did think the Leica's were bigger until I had them side by side. As for the button on the zeiss, it does take a little getting used too.
Photo does show that - sizes are similar. Thanks for the photo.

I'm a user of the SLC Neu, precursor to the current SLC, and the Neu is a bit smaller, which I love, and more in-line with the Sig Kilo or Vortex

I suppose I'm holding out hope that Sig produces a unit with better glass, or Vortex adds a solver. Until then, I'm probably a stand along RF guy, and just to decide RF vs RF w/solver.