RFI: Savage 110 LIGHTWEIGHT Storm

Can’t find a lot about these here. Anyone used one?

A friend is looking at a light hunting rig in 6.5 creedmor. I am a tikka fan but open to ideas. Seems to offer a lot of features and it weighs 5.6#. My savage experience has been good but not very recent. Shot one of their tactical guns a few years back and out of the box it was impressive.

Thoughts?

Apollo117

WKR
I can't provide information on the model 110 Lightweight Storm, but I can give my personal experience with the slightly older model, which is the model 16 Lightweight Hunter. I've got the model 16 Lightweight Hunter in .308 Win. With the right hand loads it shoots sub MOA. The stock is horribly cheap feeling. I would hope that Savage improved the stock on the 110 Lightweight Storm, but I doubt it. The stock is my only gripe about this gun and one day I will replace the stock with a Stockade or a take off model 11 Lightweight Hunter stock.

I own several Tikkas and several Savage rifles. The Tikkas have much better factory stocks, triggers, and smoother bolts. The Savages have better barrel twist rates. Those are the pros and cons as I see them.

Final word: IMO, Savage factory rifles need a replacement stock and a trigger upgrade just to be on the same level of quality as factory Tikka rifles.

My two primary hunting rifles are a Savage model 10 in 6.5 CM with a walnut LWH stock, and a Tikka T3 in 7mm-08. I have a lot of experience both with Savage rifles (8) and now Tikkas (5). They are both great platforms in their own right and I wouldn't trade either of mine for what they are used for.

The plastic LWH stocks are very flimsy but they are accurate enough and super light. Having said that, once I finally dropped a model 10 barreled action into a WALNUT LWH stock, I was a changed man. It is, by far, my favorite Savage stock of any kind. The walnut LWH stocks are only 27 oz! There aren't many synthetics that are 27 oz. And both Savage rifles I've owned that wore walnut LWH stocks shot lights-out. Like 1/2-3/4 MOA routinely. So they are very accurate stocks, no bedding job at all.

Tikkas are great rifles, period. From the get-go, they are great shooters right out of the box. I've only made very minor modifications to any of my Tikkas (removing the plastic tab in the forend that contacts the barrel is the first thing I always do). They have all shot sub-MOA routinely, with anything I've fed them. My hand loads are quite a bit better than that. Boring accuracy and smooth operation.

But I still love my Savage rifles. They tend to be great shooters as well, and I love being able to swap a barrel in 30 minutes if I want a different caliber.

I don't agree that Savages with the Accutrigger need a trigger upgrade. I have no problem shooting mine into 1/2 MOA groups with a sub-7 lb. rifle and a 2-7x scope.

rdclark

FNG
I have on in the 6.5. Its under moa with hand loads. The clip is kinda of a pain to seat and when trying to cycle the bolt fast, it can bind with the fluting they have on the bolt. Other than that I am overall happy with mine